Sign in to follow this  
Hooliganism

Military?

Hello! I'm a newbie and was just curious if anyone that browsed or posted on the forums was military, active, prior or whatnot. I would very much like to ask a few questions regarding having beliefs rooted in Taoism and Buddhism and was wondering if you could shed some insight on your experiences while being in the military environment. It can be difficult sometimes to maintain a...Buddha attitude :lol: , Thanks

-Just another guy stationed in the middle of nowhere

Edited by Hooliganism

i don't have anything of particular importance to add but Nan Huai-Chin, which is considered to be enlightened, was in the military as a commander during his youth.

Nan studied social welfare at Jinling University (now merged with Nanjing University) and later went on to teach at the Central Military Academy in Nanjing. In the late 1930s at age 21 years of age, Master Nan became a military commander at the border regions of Szechuan, Sikang, and Yunnan, being responsible for 10,000 soldiers during the Second Sino-Japanese War.[1]

i'm sure due to his orders many men died, which i suppose isn't all that "Buddhist." i also believe the Buddha himself was part of some type of warrior-faction; just something to think about :P

There are so many differences between Buddhist and Taoist ways that it is mind boggling how they are so often compaired here as if they are so much the same.....!!!! B)

the goals of seekers change as they mature and develope- use what ever environment you are in and delve into your own sense of reasons for you to be in any given situation...learn from any and every situation...

Hello! I'm a newbie and was just curious if anyone that browsed or posted on the forums was military, active, prior or whatnot. I would very much like to ask a few questions regarding having beliefs rooted in Taoism and Buddhism and was wondering if you could shed some insight on your experiences while being in the military environment. It can be difficult sometimes to maintain a...Buddha attitude :lol: , Thanks

-Just another guy stationed in the middle of nowhere

a while back posted 'taoists and the military' which you'll find on page 3 of taoist discussion.

i'm sure you're finding, as i did, that taoist 'orientation' is one fine way to contend with difficulties.

About Nan Huai-Chin: Considering that he was a commander, he could have quite some influence. I see the philosophical question here: Should you distance yourself from 'bad' things or should you take part to chance things to the better?

I always find it sad when sincere politicians leave office because of all the corruption there, because with them leaving, it definitely won't get better. OK, sometimes they can't do anything, but often enough they seem to do it out of some debatable feeling of decency.

Im former US Army, vet of Bosnia and Iraq.

Hard to approach this, the original thread seems very broad.

On the most superficial level, war and conflict are part and parcel of the human experience, and so are atrocities. We are a bit more familiar with the Western experience, but Asia had them as well...if not more so actually. Buddhism and Taoism did not innoculate their larger societies against these things.

Going a bit deeper, I am a Catholic, but I have spent ALOT of time studying philosophy, East and West, and I think Taoism is a very practical system for a number of things. I think we have some difficulty as students because most of what is written in both Buddhism and Taoism tends to be geared towards monastic type living --generalization, but functionally useful though.

Let me know what you are thinking about the larger topic.

I've been active security forces (the closest thing the chair force will probably ever have to a grunt) for 6+ years and now im in the guard to pay for school. No contradiction or conflict there. There were a number of prominent Daoist generals and warlords in the past and if you read kosta's books (not that i consider them wholly trustworthy sources of information) theres a story in there about a master who went around killing warlords and wot not. The whole pacifist thing is totally over rated.

violence can be just as useful as peace if it's used properly. the trick is knowing when to use which and why.

im with wayfarer on this one. Buddhism and Daoism are very different in some ways. An easily

relevant difference might be that if you attacked a Buddhist (not counting shaolin here) he might very

well take the beating but if you tried that with a Daoist he might just stomp a hole in you so you remember not

to attack strangers. :blink:

granted, i assume it's much easier to see whether its better to evade one attacker or beat another

when one is close to dharma/dao/truth/realization/whatever...

If your out in the middle of nowhere (read pick-a-stan) or anywhere else really I would say try to avoid

being in a situation where it's necessary to hurt other people but, if it comes down to you or them, send flowers.

this is just my view though, and im still learning so try not to take it too seriously.

Sign in to follow this