GrandTrinity

Everyone post some favorite quotes!

“You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger.” – Buddha

“Pain is certain, suffering is optional.” – Buddha

“Peace arises from within. Do not seek it without.” – Buddha

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

“Tangled grasses lie matted with death,
but generals keep at it. And for what?
Isn't it clear that weapons are the tools of misery?
The great sages never waited until the need
for such things arose.”
Li Ba
  • Like 2

This is the power of gathering: it inspires us, delightfully, to be more hopeful, more joyful, more thoughtful: in a word, more alive.

Our Mission 

The Edible Schoolyard Project is dedicated to transforming the health of children by designing hands-on educational experiences in the garden, kitchen, and cafeteria that connect children to food, nature, and to each other.

An Edible Education places the child at the center of their learning and uses food to engage all aspects of the child’s education. Through growing, processing, cooking, eating, studying, talking, and thinking about food, students develop skills, knowledge, and behaviors that enrich their academic and nonacademic lives, bolster their growth as individuals and in relationships, and cultivate meaningful engagement with their own health, the health of their communities, and the health of the planet. 

At the heart of an Edible Education is a just and joyful learning experience for every child.

Edited by moment
  • Like 2

Because only slow food can teach us the things that really matter - care, beauty, concentration, discernment, sensuality, all the best that humans are capable of, but only if we take the time to think about what we're eating.

------Alice Waters

• Like 4

While watching the Gulls cut through the heavy winds at the beach, i wonder...  Do crabs envy fish their flight through water, similarly to how i envy birds their flight through air?

• Like 1

This above all: to thine own self be true,

And it must follow, as the night the day,

Thou canst not be false to any man.

Shakespeare via Polonius

• Like 2

James Clear who wrote the book The Power of Habits sends me quotes every now and then.  I liked this one.

E.O. Wilson, a sociobiologist and Pulitzer Prize-winning author:

“The real problem of humanity is the following: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and god-like technology.

Source: An Intellectual Entente

An Indian proverb on kindness and mortality:

"Never postpone a good deed which you can do now, because death does not choose whether you have or haven’t done the things you should have done. Death waits for nobody and nothing. It has neither enemies, nor friends."

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

“We’re all seeking that special person who is right for us. But if you’ve been through enough relationships, you begin to suspect there’s no right person, just different flavors of wrong. Why is this? Because you yourself are wrong in some way, and you seek out partners who are wrong in some complementary way.

But it takes a lot of living to grow fully into your own wrongness. And it isn’t until you finally run up against your deepest demons, your unsolvable problems - the ones that make you truly who you are - that we’re ready to find a lifelong mate.

Only then do you finally know what you’re looking for. You’re looking for the wrong person. But not just any wrong person: it's got to be the right wrong person - someone you lovingly gaze upon and think, “This is the problem I want to have.”

I will find that special person who is wrong for me in just the right way.”

~Andrew Boyd, Daily Afflictions: The Agony of Being Connected to Everything in the Universe

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

“I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said,

but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

– Robert McCloskey

• Like 5

5 hours ago, silent thunder said:

“I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said,

but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

– Robert McCloskey

When you think about it, this quote is a direct nod to the theory of relativity in its most abstract form.

• Like 3

On 2/11/2020 at 3:15 PM, manitou said:

When you think about it, this quote is a direct nod to the theory of relativity in its most abstract form.

Hadn't even considered that aspect of it.  Nice one.

Edited by silent thunder
  • Like 1

Learn to pay attention to your ‘daemon’: the inner voice, somewhere in the bowels, that whispers, ‘Take care.’” --- Socrates

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

"At first, the weak perish. Then, the rest fight." -- Selco (a survivor of the Bosnian war, now teaching survivalist bootcamps in the US)

"The world is looking for a panacea, something to cure our ills without interfering with our mistakes. As far as we're concerned our mistakes are sacred, and we have a right to keep making them regardless of consequences." -- Manly P. Hall (a polymath)  

"Why do I need someone I don’t trust to tell me not to trust someone else I don’t trust?"  -- A random perspicacious Redditor   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I am the wisest man alive, for I know one thing, and that is that I know nothing.

-------------------Socrates

The foot feels the foot when it feels the ground.

------------------Gautama Buddha

The unexamined life is not worth living.

-----------------------------Socrates

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

All of the truths you will ever need, are hidden in every little mundane thing you do.

• Like 4

A British, Irish and American cop are walking together and talking about things. As the three of them pass a pub a belligerent drunk staggers out waving a two foot wooden stick.  The British policeman identifies himself and tells the drunk to put down the stick, saying "this cannot end well for you, just put it down go home and sleep it off".  The Irish cop says "put down that stick or I will shove it where the sun don't shine".  The American cop shoots him twice in the chest and once in the head.--  Me, after my recent and probably my last, visit to the USA*

* How Americans call themselves free and have cops that behave the way they do, is just plain strange!

Edited by Sramana

8 minutes ago, Sramana said:

A British, Irish and American cop are walking together and talking about things. As the three of them pass a pub a belligerent drunk staggers out waving a two foot wooden stick.  The British policeman identifies himself and tells the drunk to put down the stick, saying "this cannot end well for you, just put it down go home and sleep it off".  The Irish cop says "put down that stick or I will shove it where the sun don't shine".  The American cop shoots him twice in the chest and once in the head.-- Me, after my recent and probably my last, visit to the USA

Given that there is a lot of underfunding for cops in UK now, it seems like seeing a cop anywhere where they’re needed in some places is a surprise. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/06/world/europe/uk-knife-crime-austerity.html

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Earl Grey said:

Given that there is a lot of underfunding for cops in UK now, it seems like seeing a cop anywhere where they’re needed in some places is a surprise. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/06/world/europe/uk-knife-crime-austerity.html

Yeah, there is hard times ahead for the UK.  They will pull out of it though.  They are bulldogs!

• Like 1