GrandTrinity

Everyone post some favorite quotes!

16 hours ago, sagebrush said:

run the opposite direction from the man  who thinks he has all the answers. 

Two men were trying to run away from a lion. While doing so one turned to the other and said - why are you trying to out run this lion, you can't out run a lion.

The other replied - I don't need to out run the lion, I just need to out run you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

“Be careful, lest in casting out your demon you exorcise the best thing in you.”
 Friedrich Nietzsche

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

“Tell people there's an invisible man in the sky who created the universe, and the vast majority will believe you. Tell them the paint is wet, and they have to touch it to be sure.”
― George Carlin

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

On 1/17/2020 at 9:14 AM, Miffymog said:

Two men were trying to run away from a lion. While doing so one turned to the other and said - why are you trying to out run this lion, you can't out run a lion.

The other replied - I don't need to out run the lion, I just need to out run you.

Me, camping with a buddy in Grizzly country.

Him:  So, what's your like... bear strategy?  Play dead?  Get big and yell?

Me:   ...  nope... very simple.

Always camp with a slow friend.

Him:  ... :lol: dude!  you suck! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, moment said:

Cats and owls seem soooo alike!

Ha, our most recent feline family member, Tara... we call her our Owl Cat. 

She's a Nordic Forest Longhair but i swear in varying lights, varying times of day...

She's 33%Owl, 34%Fox, 33%Feline and 39%Shadow/Mist.

• Like 2

That's 139% all cat.  Can you get her weight down?

Edited by manitou
  • Haha 2

I have lived with several zen masters... all of them feline.  ~anon

Cats above most animals I've spent time with seem to be innate masters of zen, in both their innate emptiness when not engaged, and their unbreakable focused mindfulness when in action.

True Masters.

As for Tara:  She's the quietest in spirit and presence of any I've shared time with.

Spoiler

tara.thumb.jpg.f656b60a200c71fe3275ba50d7ad61b6.jpg5e25e598bd2e8_tarafox.thumb.jpg.2ce4bb12d012f3d2e647320eba0a91eb.jpg

she's about nine months in these pics.

Now Three (and still growing to about five vet says), She's very light, though nearly three feet long now, her mane has come in, her tail is even thicker and the hair between her toes is several inches long.

She slides across travertine like it's ice.

Edited by silent thunder
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, silent thunder said:

I have lived with several zen masters... all of them feline.  ~anon

Cats above most animals I've spent time with seem to be innate masters of zen, in both their innate emptiness when not engaged, and their unbreakable focused mindfulness when in action.

True Masters.

As for Tara:  She's the quietest in spirit and presence of any I've shared time with.

Reveal hidden contents

tara.thumb.jpg.f656b60a200c71fe3275ba50d7ad61b6.jpg5e25e598bd2e8_tarafox.thumb.jpg.2ce4bb12d012f3d2e647320eba0a91eb.jpg

she's about nine months in these pics.

Now Three (and still growing to about five vet says), She's very light, though nearly three feet long now, her mane has come in, her tail is even thicker and the hair between her toes is several inches long.

She slides across travertine like it's ice.

She does look like a Zen master, although her pillow says Om.  

My cat Haomao is no zen master.  He is a control freak.  

'My cat is in control'

Edited by Taomeow
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, SirPalomides said:

Mencius said, "Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction."

Dangerously close to not-doing.

• Like 2

Meditation is a lot like marriage: You begin in pursuit of ecstasy and eventually settle for mild contentment. After twenty years you realize that contentment itself is a kind of ecstasy.

From "Sparrow´s Guide to Meditation,"  The Sun Magazine

• Like 6

'He who urges rational thought forward, thereby also drives its antagonistic power—mysticism and foolery of every kind—to new feats of strength.

We should recognise that every movement is (1) partly the manifestation of fatigue resulting from a previous movement (satiety after it, the malice of weakness towards it, and disease); and (2) partly a newly awakened accumulation of long slumbering forces, and therefore wanton, violent, healthy.' 

Friedrich Nietzsche 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

“There is darkness inside all of us, though mine is more dangerous than most. Still, we all have it—that part of our soul that is irreparably damaged by the very trials and tribulations of life. We are what we are because of it, or perhaps in spite of it. Some use
it as a shield to hide behind, others as an excuse to do unconscionable things. But, truly, the darkness is simply a piece of the whole, neither good nor evil unless you make it so. It
took a witch, a war, and a voodoo queen to teach me that.”
― Jenna Maclaine

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

“My formula for human greatness is amor fati: that one wants nothing to be different, not in the future, not in the past, not for all eternity. Not only to endure what is necessary, still less to conceal it — all idealism is falseness in the face of necessity — , but to love it...”
 Friedrich Nietzsche

• Like 2

1. A nickel ain’t worth a dime anymore.

2. We made too many wrong mistakes.

3. Congratulations. I knew the record would stand until it was broken.

4. You better cut the pizza in four pieces because I’m not hungry enough to eat six.

5. I usually take a two-hour nap from one to four.

6. Never answer an anonymous letter.

7. How can you think and hit at the same time?

8. The future ain’t what it used to be.

9. I tell the kids, somebody’s gotta win, somebody’s gotta lose. Just don’t fight about it. Just try to get better.

10. It gets late early out here.

11. You’ve got to be very careful if you don’t know where you are going, because you might not get there.

-----Yogi Berra

• Haha 1

“Every particular in nature, a leaf, a drop, a crystal, a moment of time is related to the whole, and partakes of the perfection of the whole. Each particle is a microcosm, and faithfully renders the likeness of the world.” ~Ralph Waldo Emerson~

• Like 3

If cold is the absence of heat, evil is the absence of good.--- anonymous, taoist, pain in the butt.

• Like 2

“Life, according to Zen, ought to be lived as a bird flies through the air, or as a fish swims in the water.”
-- D.T. Suzuki

"The right art is purposeless, aimless!

The more obstinately you try to learn how to shoot the arrow for the sake of hitting the goal,

the less you will succeed in the one

and the further the other will recede."

-- D.T. Suzuki

Edited by silent thunder
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2