GrandTrinity

Everyone post some favorite quotes!

Tao cannot be found in noise and restlessness. Tao is the friend of silence. See how nature moves and grows in silence.  It is this type of silence that grows you.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, moment said:

Tao cannot be found in noise and restlessness. Tao is the friend of silence. See how nature moves and grows in silence.  It is this type of silence that grows you.

Methinks philosophers ought to get out more.  

Whoever wrote this has obviously never been to the deep (far removed from human settlements) parts of the Amazon rainforest.  It's absolutely deafening at night with voices of animals, birds, frogs, insects -- and tremendous thunderstorms.  The noisiest place I've ever been -- and the growth of everything is second to none.  :) 

7 minutes ago, Taomeow said:

Methinks philosophers ought to get out more.  

Whoever wrote this has obviously never been to the deep (far removed from human settlements) parts of the Amazon rainforest.  It's absolutely deafening at night with voices of animals, birds, frogs, insects -- and tremendous thunderstorms.  The noisiest place I've ever been -- and the growth of everything is second to none.  :) 

Have you ever been on the side of a mountain watching the sun rise before everything wakes up?  That is the silence spoken of here

The silence of moving and growing, not the noise of those that are being grown and moved.

Edited by moment

1 hour ago, moment said:

Have you ever been on the side of a mountain watching the sun rise before everything wakes up?  That is the silence spoken of here

The silence of moving and growing, not the noise of those that are being grown and moved.

Ah yes.  Mount Elbrus, the highest in Europe.  The sunrises there, way above the clouds, were the most beautiful thing I'd ever seen.   

I don't believe anything live is "being grown and moved."  I'm not a creationist.  I believe in the taoist concept of co-creation.  Mount Elbrus wasn't crumbling in particular due to the trees whose roots held its slopes in a co-creative embrace.  Where they had been cleared out, or couldn't grow to begin with, massive roaring rockfalls regularly do a whole lot of damage.  In nature, stillness and silence find their own limitations.

The trigram for the Mountain is my ming gua.  Yes, it's the image of stillness and silence.  It's also one of eight, not the only one, that comprise eight of the main venues tao comes into manifestation.  So I wouldn't single it out to the detriment of the other seven even though it's my proprietary one. :)      

• Like 1

In the pause between exhale and inhale.

Abides a quiet.  A silence.

In the hour before Dawn, the world pauses before the inhale of the rising day.

and here in this silence... i walk.

• Like 2

“Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing
and rightdoing there is a field.
I'll meet you there.

When the soul lies down in that grass
the world is too full to talk about.”
― Rumi

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 8/30/2019 at 4:42 PM, Taomeow said:

Ah yes.  Mount Elbrus, the highest in Europe.  The sunrises there, way above the clouds, were the most beautiful thing I'd ever seen.   

I don't believe anything live is "being grown and moved."  I'm not a creationist.  I believe in the taoist concept of co-creation.  Mount Elbrus wasn't crumbling in particular due to the trees whose roots held its slopes in a co-creative embrace.  Where they had been cleared out, or couldn't grow to begin with, massive roaring rockfalls regularly do a whole lot of damage.  In nature, stillness and silence find their own limitations.

The trigram for  Mountain is my ming gua.  Yes, it's the image of stillness and silence.  It's also one of eight, not the only one, that comprise eight of the main venues tao comes into manifestation.  So I wouldn't single it out to the detriment of the other seven even though it's my proprietary one. :)      

I respect you and your knowledge.  But I too, have been all over the world, high and low. Your jump to creationism (the twin of co-creationism) is an assumption that does not apply here ( and certainly not to me) and co-creationism is after the Tao, where the great silence is beginning its' dilution(or balancing)into intent/motion/creation/co-creation/) etc./etc./etc.:mellow:  into ten thousand things.

Be well

Edited by moment

1 hour ago, silent thunder said:

In the pause between exhale and inhale.

Abides a quiet.  A silence.

In the hour before Dawn, the world pauses before the inhale of the rising day.

and here in this silence... i walk.

The swinging gate. Over and over again, the swinging gate.  Be well my friend.

• Like 1

Many follow the pied pipers of answers/certainty because they seek security. Walking unconcerned, in the lush valley, between the mountains of security and insecurity is where Tao lies.

Edited by moment
  • Thanks 1

On 8/30/2019 at 9:29 PM, moment said:

I respect you and your knowledge.  But I too, have been all over the world, high and low. Your jump to creationism (the twin of co-creationism) is an assumption that does not apply here ( and certainly not to me) and co-creationism is after the Tao, where the great silence is beginning its' dilution(or balancing)into intent/motion/creation/co-creation/) etc./etc./etc.:mellow:  into ten thousand things.

Be well

I'm not sure I understand what you mean, so I can only clarify my thought -- not for argument's sake, just for clarity's sake.  I don't think of "uncreated" as something that has a "beginning," and I think of "beginning" only in terms of co-creation, which is the farthest departure from creationism anyone can undertake.  I don't subscribe to any creationist doctrines, and I believe the "uncreated" and the "created" are the ultimate co-creative interaction.  So, nothing and no one is a "creator" without a "co-creator," and by the same token  nothing and no one is "uncreated" without the "created."  Long story. :)    

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Taomeow said:

I'm not sure I understand what you mean, so I can only clarify my thought -- not for argument's sake, just for clarity's sake.  I don't think of "uncreated" as something that has a "beginning," and I think of "beginning" only in terms of co-creation, which is the farthest departure from creationism anyone can undertake.  I don't subscribe to any creationist doctrines, and I believe the "uncreated" and the "created" are the ultimate co-creative interaction.  So, nothing and no one is a "creator" without a "co-creator," and by the same token  nothing and no one is "uncreated" without the "created."  Long story. :)    

OK

• Like 1

若夫乘天地之正,而御六氣之辯;以逰無窮者 -- 彼且悪乎待哉?

Regarding ascending the constancy of heaven and earth, or riding the changefulness of the six qi's; one who can roam without boundaries -- where can such a one be said to abide? (Zhuangzi, ch.1)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are only right because someone lets you think you are

-Mskied

You will get what you believe, and be judged accordingly

-Mskied

Consciousness is separate from awareness, and all knowledge is Magick

-Mskied

There is no Chaos, just actions and their reactions that are not understood

-Mskied

One day you will ask me which is more important? My life or yours?

I will say mine and you will walk away not knowing that you are my life.

~Khalil Gibran

• Like 1

Tell me 

what it is you

plan to do

with your one

wild and

precious life? -mary oliver

someone at this forum posted poems by mary oliver.

so thank you for a lovely addition and poetry that I can relate.

Edited by sagebrush
  • Like 1

James Clear- paraphrased. author of Atomic Habits.

When I'm anxious to resolve some big life problem, often

What I really need is:

1. A glass of water
2. A 10-minute walk outside
3. A good night of sleep

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Brahma

If the red slayer think he slays,

Or if the slain think he is slain,

They know not well the subtle ways

I keep, and pass, and turn again.

Far or forgot to me is near;

Shadow and sunlight are the same;

The vanished gods to me appear;

And one to me are shame and fame.

They reckon ill who leave me out;

When me they fly, I am the wings;

I am the doubter and the doubt,

I am the hymn the Brahmin sings.

The strong gods pine for my abode,

And pine in vain the sacred Seven;

But thou, meek lover of the good!

Find me, and turn thy back on heaven.

~Ralph Waldo Emerson

• Like 1

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do.”
― Epictetus

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In the life of a man, his time is but a moment, his being an incessant flux, his sense a dim rushlight, his body a prey of worms, his soul an unquiet eddy, his fortune dark, his fame doubtful. In short, all that is body is as coursing waters, all that is of the soul as dreams and vapors.”
― Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The stoic’s believed in the concept of grateful indifference.  Which I believe is one of the most consistently productive paths of Tao.

Edited by moment
  • Thanks 1

A wise old owl sat in an oak,
The more he heard, the less he spoke;
The less he spoke, the more he heard;
Why aren't we all like that wise old bird?

--- anonymous

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

“Remember there’s no such thing as a small act of kindness. Every act creates a ripple with no logical end.” – Scott Adams

The sage "is ready to use all situations and doesn't waste anything. This is called embodying the light." — Lao Tzu,

Edited by moment
  • Thanks 1

"Most powerful is he who has himself in his own power." — Seneca, died 65 CE

• Thanks 1