GrandTrinity

Everyone post some favorite quotes!

Margaret Atwood:

"I would like to be the air

that inhabits you for a moment

only. I would like to be that unnoticed

and that necessary."

• Like 2

People who convince themselves, they are justified... perpetrate vile horrors not just with ease, but with a sense of obligation.  (me)

Edited by silent thunder
  • Like 3

The real violence is committed in the writing of history, the records of the legal system, the reporting of news, through the manipulation of social contracts, and the control of information.-- Bryant H. McGill

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A friend may well be reckoned the masterpiece of nature.--Ralph Waldo Emerson

My question is:    Do you think that you get this type of friendship through cliques and rah rah clubs or through someone who gives you their heart-felt honesty? 

Edited by moment
  • Like 1

On 7/10/2019 at 6:24 AM, moment said:

A friend may well be reckoned the masterpiece of nature.--Ralph Waldo Emerson

My question is:    Do you think that you get this type of friendship through cliques and rah rah clubs or through someone who gives you their heart-felt honesty? 

The world is unapologetically honest, if one is honest with oneself... the most honest of my mortal enemies is more friend to me than those close who would hold their tongue.

Edited by neti neti
  • Like 1

"The many years I spent in solitude, I learned the exquisite torture of loneliness. I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity."

~Poe, from Altered Carbon

• Like 1

2 hours ago, neti neti said:

The world is unapologetically honest, if one is honest with oneself... the most honest of my mortal enemies are more friend to me than those close who would hold their tongue.

I do not completely agree with your statement but, It gives me much to think about and it has a feel to it that I trust.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, moment said:

I do not completely agree with your statement but, It gives me much to think about and it has a feel to it that I trust.

What more could a man hope for in a world of one-liners? :)

• Like 1

I submit that both paradoxes will be solved (I do not pretend to solve them here and now) by assimilating into our Western build of science the Eastern doctrine of identity. Mind is by its very nature a singulare tantum. I should say: the over-all number of minds is just one. I venture to call it indestructible since it has a peculiar timetable, namely mind is always now. There is really no before and after for mind. There is only a now that includes memories and expectations. But I grant that our language is not adequate to express this, and I also grant, should anyone wish to state it, that I am now talking religion, not science.” —Erwin Schrödinger, What is Life?: With Mind and Matter and Autobiographical Sketches, p. 134–135

I find this statement so powerful because of who Erwin Schrodinger was: Erwin Schrödinger was a Nobel Prize-winning Austrian physicist who developed a number of fundamental results in the field of quantum theory, which formed the basis of wave mechanics: he formulated the wave equation and revealed the identity of his development of the formalism and matrix mechanics. Schrödinger proposed an original interpretation of the physical meaning of the wave function

Edited by moment
  • Thanks 1

If there are two things, what separates them? You need a third thing to separate the two.--- Zeno

Does one thing exist or many? What separates one thing from the next? Where is the line?-- Zeno

• Like 2

Few realize that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal.

--Albert Camus

• Like 2

"At the still point, there the dance is." —T. S. Eliot

• Like 1

"When names and forms

Are put away,
When all judgment ceases,
What remains is called
The True.
It appears like a mirror
In which the Infinite
Is reflected.
It looks back at each
Who gaze upon It."

"Great effort is required to see that
Clear sight is not
The result of effort.
Overlooking what is obvious is
The common obstacle.
To see what has been
Shining in plain view is
The simple remedy."

"The present moment resides
Between imagination and stupor.
When both are rejected,
It shines like a lamp in
A room with ten thousand mirrors."

~Wu Hsin

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hell is empty and all the devils are here.

— William Shakespeare

• Like 1

The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.

— Marcel Proust

• Like 1

Come, investigate loneliness!
a solitary leaf
clings to the Kiri tree
― Matsuo Basho (1644-1694

• Like 1

“Metaphor especially has clarity and sweetness and strangeness.” -- Aristotle

“Be yourself - everyone else is already taken.”-- Oscar Wilde

In many ways he was like America itself, big and strong, full of good intentions, a roll of fat jiggling at his belly, slow of foot but always plodding along, always there when you needed him, a believer in the virtues of simplicity and directness and hard labor.

—Tim O’Brien, The Things They Carried

• Like 1

When we strive to become better than we are, everything around us becomes better, too. The world we live in will become better or worse, depending on whether we  become better or worse. That's where love comes in.  When we love , we always strive to become better than we are.--- Paulo Coelho

• Like 1

7 hours ago, moment said:

When we strive to become better than we are, everything around us becomes better, too. The world we live in will become better or worse, depending on whether we  become better or worse. That's where love comes in.  When we love , we always strive to become better than we are.--- Paulo Coelho

I like this one.

• Like 1

The Buddha talked about saving all beings from delusion, not converting them to a new religion

• Thanks 1

“Guilt, regret, resentment, sadness & all forms of non-forgiveness are caused by too much past & not enough presence.”- Eckhart Tolle

• Thanks 1

If we as a free people wish to protect our basic human rights, we need to better understand and protect our data rights.-- Moment

• Like 1

After a hard workout and meditation, in the deep woods, I have heard my ancestors talk to me through my blood. It is a language beyond words.  It is the language of the world. It is a language open to anyone who relaxes enough, is still enough and cares enough.--

moment

• Like 3