GrandTrinity

Everyone post some favorite quotes!

The soul becomes dyed with the color of its thoughts. --Marcus Aurelius

• Like 2

Our actions may be impeded…but there can be no impeding our intentions or dispositions. Because we can accommodate and adapt. The mind adapts and converts to its own purposes the obstacle to our acting.

The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way.-- Marcus Aurelius

There is much to learn from everyone if we can get past politics and ego. I have no interest in arguing, I just hope my friends in Martial arts could research , train and communicate and grow without all the ego B.S and politics.

• Like 1

Speaking of politics-

“Outrage is like a lot of other things that feel good but over time devour us from the inside out. And it’s even more insidious than most vices because we don’t even consciously acknowledge that it’s a pleasure.” — Tim Kreider

• Like 3

..If you have no skills, you have no confidence. If you develop skills, you’ll build confidence, and that confidence in your skills can help you create any type of life you want.

by Ayodeji Awosika

• Like 1

"

Start to stop doing what you know to be wrong.

Start stopping today. Don’t waste time questioning how you know that what you’re doing is wrong, if you are certain that it is. Inopportune questioning can confuse, without enlightening, as well as deflecting you from action. You can know that something is wrong or right without knowing why. Your entire Being can tell you something that you can neither explain nor articulate. Every person is too complex to know themselves completely, and we all contain wisdom that we cannot comprehend.

"

Jordan Peterson

• Like 2

Dating in your late 30's is like looking for a parking space at the airport. The only thing available is either handicapped or way out there.------Unknown.

Edited by guest25
grammer
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

"I slept and dreamt that life was joy. I awoke and saw that life was service. I acted and behold, service was joy." -- Rabindranath Tagore

• Like 4

“Of course! The path to heaven doesn’t lie down in flat miles. It’s in the imagination with which you perceive this world, and the gestures with which you honor it.”

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"

"Instructions for living a life. Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it."

"When it's over, I want to say: all my life I was a bride married to amazement. I was the bridegroom, taking the world into my arms."

--Mary Oliver, Pulitzer prize winning poet--Died January 17th, 2019 at 83 years of truly living
Edited by moment

When death comes
like the hungry bear in autumn;
when death comes and takes all the bright coins from his purse

to buy me, and snaps the purse shut;
when death comes
like the measle-pox

when death comes
like an iceberg between the shoulder blades,

I want to step through the door full of curiosity, wondering:
what is it going to be like, that cottage of darkness?

And therefore I look upon everything
as a brotherhood and a sisterhood,
and I look upon time as no more than an idea,
and I consider eternity as another possibility,

and I think of each life as a flower, as common
as a field daisy, and as singular,

and each name a comfortable music in the mouth,
tending, as all music does, toward silence,

and each body a lion of courage, and something
precious to the earth.

When it's over, I want to say all my life
I was a bride married to amazement.
I was the bridegroom, taking the world into my arms.

When it's over, I don't want to wonder
if I have made of my life something particular, and real.

I don't want to find myself sighing and frightened,
or full of argument.

I don't want to end up simply having visited this world
20mar04131_lr.jpg

Mary Oliver
When Death Comes

When an operation, no matter of what sort, is brought to a close at the right moment, the stoppage does it no harm and the agent herself is no worse for discontinuing her action.

So, if life itself (which is nothing but the totality of our operations) also ceases when the time comes, it takes no hurt by its mere. cessation, nor is she adversely affected who thus brings the whole series of her operations to its timely conclusion.

But the proper hour and term are fixed by nature: if not by a human's own nature (as for example by old age) then at all events by great Nature herself, by whose continuous renewing of her every part the Universe remains forever young and vigorous.

Whatever serves the purpose of the Whole is kept forever young and blossoming.

- Marcus Aurelius -

☮️

• Like 2

Would seem as though Marcus Aurelius and Chungtse are kindred spirits.

A son must go whithersoever his parents bid him, East, West, North or South. Yin and yang are no other than a man's parents. If yin and yang bid me die quickly, and I demur, then the fault is mine, not theirs. The Great (universe) gives me this form, this toil in manhood, this repose in old age, this rest in death. Surely that which is such a kind arbiter of my life is the best arbiter of my death.

- Chuangtse

• Like 2

10 hours ago, OldDog said:

Would seem as though Marcus Aurelius and Chungtse are kindred spirits.

A son must go whithersoever his parents bid him, East, West, North or South. Yin and yang are no other than a man's parents. If yin and yang bid me die quickly, and I demur, then the fault is mine, not theirs. The Great (universe) gives me this form, this toil in manhood, this repose in old age, this rest in death. Surely that which is such a kind arbiter of my life is the best arbiter of my death.

- Chuangtse

There are a lot of similarities between Stoicism (of that period) and Taoism. Also, Marcus Aurelius had near absolute power and yet he never lost sight of his service duties to his people. A rarity in history or the present day.

Edited by moment
  • Like 3

On 12/25/2018 at 9:28 AM, thelerner said:

Speaking of politics-

“Outrage is like a lot of other things that feel good but over time devour us from the inside out. And it’s even more insidious than most vices because we don’t even consciously acknowledge that it’s a pleasure.” — Tim Kreider

Like all things, there are degrees and shades.  How much is too much and how much is too little.  When does the devouring begin, with outrage or the lack of closure?  Quotes are fun but, often they become weak homilies.

Without anxiety and illness, I am a ship without a rudder... My sufferings are part of my self and my art. They are indistinguishable from me, and their destruction would destroy my art.---- Edvard Munch

From these: balanced calorie restriction, meditation, moderation, relaxation, all else follows.

You have a right to kill me.

You have a right to do that… but you have no right to judge me.

Horror has a face… and you must make a friend of horror.

Horror and mortal terror are your friends.

If they are not then they are enemies to be feared. 

You have to have men who are moral

… and at the same time who are able to utilize their primordial instincts to kill without feeling

… without passion… without judgment… without judgment.

Because it’s judgment that defeats us.

- "Kurtz"