GrandTrinity

Everyone post some favorite quotes!

36 minutes ago, Marblehead said:

That sounds like the sound I would imagine of one walking on a carpet of discarded bubble gum.

Good try though.

It was a joke.  But, still as valid as anything you have or could use as a rebuttal. Scientific inductive reasoning is useless in these matters and philosophical deductive reasoning almost always fails in the actual application of the masses of humanity over time.

But, if you have the time for another coffee and more discussion, it can be fun. You don't have to imagine, I am sure that in your long life you have been to movie houses that have stuck to your shoe.

Edited by moment

1 minute ago, moment said:

It was a joke.  But, still as valid as anything you have or could use as a rebuttal. Scientific inductive reasoning is useless in these matters and philosophical deductive reasoning almost always fails in the actual application of the masses of humanity over time.

Well, seems you have me pinned down pretty well.  It is virtually impossible to prove the non-existence of something.  That's why I am never successful in my arguments against flying saucers and space aliens.

1 minute ago, moment said:

But, if you have the time for another coffee and more discussion, it can be can be fun. You don't have to imagine I am sure that in your long life you have been to movie houses that have stuck to your shoe.

Hey, I always have time for one more cup of coffee (Bob Dylan song).

And I'm sure you know I enjoy having fun.  And yes, I used to go the movie houses when I was much younger and I guess I was a magnet for discarded bubble gum.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Marblehead said:

Well, seems you have me pinned down pretty well.  It is virtually impossible to prove the non-existence of something.  That's why I am never successful in my arguments against flying saucers and space aliens.

Hey, I always have time for one more cup of coffee (Bob Dylan song).

And I'm sure you know I enjoy having fun.  And yes, I used to go the movie houses when I was much younger and I guess I was a magnet for discarded bubble gum.

We are Taoists and words have never been good enough.  I have enjoyed your grace and kindness here.  Have you ever done partner sets in Tai Chi?

10 hours ago, moment said:

We are Taoists and words have never been good enough.  I have enjoyed your grace and kindness here.  Have you ever done partner sets in Tai Chi?

Thanks for understanding and for the compliment.

I do my Tai Chi (when I do it) by myself.  I know of  no one in my immediate area who practices tai chi.  And besides, I do two-sword tai chi and I think it would be a bad idea for me to actually have an opponent.  Remember, I killed a lamp shade once while practicing in the house.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Marblehead said:

I do my Tai Chi (when I do it) by myself

Same here. Group practice is nice but solo practice really allows you to develop. It is hard to remain internally focused when others are present. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Marblehead said:

Thanks for understanding and for the compliment.

I do my Tai Chi (when I do it) by myself.  I know of  no one in my immediate area who practices tai chi.  And besides, I do two-sword tai chi and I think it would be a bad idea for me to actually have an opponent.  Remember, I killed a lamp shade once while practicing in the house.

Yang Tai Chi San Shou - Partner Form, 

n 1981, Michael Gilman moved to Port Townsend, Washington and opened the Gilman Studio where he continues to lead classes and workshops. Besides his long-term association with Master Choy, Michael has studied with Jou Tsung Hwa, Dr. Yang Jwing-Ming, T.Y. Peng, T.T. Liang, George Xu, William Chen, Liang Shou-Yu, Tao Ping-Siang, Fu Shen Yuan, Wang Bao Ren, Gao Fu, Ken Cohen, and Sam Masich.

Edited by moment
  • Like 2

1% less head chatter = 1% reward,  90% less head chatter for 40 days and your life changes forever.

Edited by moment
  • Like 1

On 7/12/2018 at 5:42 AM, Marblehead said:

And besides, I do two-sword tai chi and I think it would be a bad idea for me to actually have an opponent.  Remember, I killed a lamp shade once while practicing in the house.

There are partner forms in tai chi sword.  I learned the broadsword form along with it's partner set (single sword) in a realistic manner.  By realistic I mean that the sword attack is against the opponents and not against their sword, not just bashing swords against each other, which is the more common method.

• Like 2

To have SOME proof ,is logically , a more supportable argument ,

than to have NO proof whatsoever. 

I have, but to, open an empty cabinet , cardboard box, or wallet ,

to have some indication that the space-alien doesn't exist. 

To prove it does , you need to 'pony up'  -one space alien. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Starjumper said:

There are partner forms in tai chi sword.  I learned the broadsword form along with it's partner set (single sword) in a realistic manner.  By realistic I mean that the sword attack is against the opponents and not against their sword, not just bashing swords against each other, which is the more common method.

Yeah, If I ever go after someone with one of my swords I'm not going to be trying to hit whatever they are holding, I will be going after the person wherever they leave themselves open.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Stosh said:

To prove it does , you need to 'pony up'  -one space alien. 

Yeah, but on the other hand, it is impossible to prove that none exist.

17 minutes ago, Marblehead said:

Yeah, but on the other hand, it is impossible to prove that none exist.

The evidence points in that direction, I have 3 positive assertions that they do not , the box, the cabinet ,and my wallet. If one does draw a graph of probability on the existence of them things, its a flat line out to infinity . They do not exist, is the correct assertion, based on the evidence we have - they are not here. 

Some day , should someone find contrary evidence , then it can be taken into account, until then ... They have no proof whatsoever, that those things exist , and so this is a silly assertion to make. 

It is thus proven as a logical conclusion, they do Not exist. 

Say you wanted to prove there were no blue oranges , you would check any oranges you knew of , and see none of them were blue, the logical conclusion is that oranges are never blue.. there are no blue oranges. 

It is just not logical to conclude that things exist ,when one has no evidence, nor that they probably exist , nor that they assertively exist , albeit, very improbably.  The burden of proof ,  upon the person making the assertion of the existence of the thing, is the same as on the one asserting it does not exist,, the difference is just that I can show that one is not here., they have to show one IS somewhere. 

• Like 2

"To resist the frigidity of old age one must combine the body, the mind and the heart - and to keep them in parallel vigor one must exercise, study and love." - Karl Viktor von Bonstetten

• Like 4

within every motion, lies a point of empty stillness

from which it arises

about which it pivots

and to which it returns

this empty point of stillness...

a gateway

cultivate this

• Like 3

"Be master of your petty annoyances and conserve your energies for the big, worthwhile things. It isn't the mountain ahead that wears you out - it's the grain of sand in your shoe." - Robert Service

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Did you ever see a dog--which is, as Plato says, in the second book of his Republic, the most philosophical creature in the world--discover a marrow-bone? If you ever did, you will have noticed how devotedly he eyes it, how carefully he guards it, how fervently he holds it, how circumspectly he begins to gnaw it, how lovingly he breaks it, and how diligently he licks it. What induces him to do all this? What hope is there in his labour? What benefit does he expect? Nothing more than a little marrow...

François Rabelais

• Like 4

“A man is never the same for long. He is continually changing. He seldom remains the same even for half an hour.” – George Gurdjieff

• Like 4

The wise speak only of what they know, Gríma son of Gálmód. A witless worm have you become. Therefore be silent, and keep your forked tongue behind your teeth. I have not passed through fire and death to bandy words with a serving-man till the lightning falls.

Gandalf the White

☮️

• Like 5

darkness is dark?  who says?  my eyes?  what does that prove?

darkness appears dark because of the functional limitations of eyes. 

my suspicion... my experience is... it's all light.

who can trust eyes with true seeing?

• Like 1

there may be discomfort, there may be pain, there will be loss.

this does not mean there is suffering.

suffering is no longer a thing of itself

suffering is a crisis of perception

Edited by silent thunder
altered wording for clarity and effect
  • Like 4

On 12/8/2016 at 11:51 AM, liminal_luke said:

All the virtue in the world won`t protect you from miserable circumstance.  It might in fact draw misery towards you.  What virtue can do is help us rise above.  Virtue can help us feel unshakably OK in the midst of dire health difficulties and contentious presidential elections.  Virtue can help us forgive others and ourselves.  Virtue can help us find a safe comfy place within our own hearts, even as the seemingly indifferent universe explodes all around. 

something to remember

• Like 3

The quest for certainty blocks the search for meaning. Uncertainty is the very condition to impel man to unfold his powers. 

- Erich Fromm

• Like 1

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is. -Yogi Berra

• Like 2