GrandTrinity

Everyone post some favorite quotes!

"To believe all men honest would be folly. To believe none so is something worse." - John Quincy Adams

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"The whole world is created, maintained, and destroyed in the mind. The destruction of the mind signifies the primordial persistence of the original idea of, 'yes'. The support of this idea is the backbone of everything... I worship it." ~Siddharameshwar Maharaj

• Like 1

2 hours ago, neti neti said:

The whole world is created, maintained, and destroyed in the mind.

While I really don't subscribe to the notion that all of existence is really a construct of mind ... I have no doubt that an individual's perception of existence is his reality.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OldDog said:

While I really don't subscribe to the notion that all of existence is really a construct of mind …

I'm with you here.

1 hour ago, OldDog said:

I have no doubt that an individual's perception of existence is his reality.

I'm with you here too.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OldDog said:

While I really don't subscribe to the notion that all of existence is really a construct of mind ... I have no doubt that an individual's perception of existence is his reality.

Without agreeing with or denying either extremes, there is a pure meaning to be grasped between the lines. Consider the opening of one's eyes as the pouring forth of light which illuminates the world. Like that, the sun of knowledge reveals the world and allows for the appearance of forms. In this sense, the world is "created maintained and destroyed, in the mind."

The Lord who supports, allows for the appearance of millions of suns.

18 hours ago, silent thunder said:

without eyes... where does light exist?

Self-shining consciousness is brilliance unmistakable, yet often overlooked in favor of its reflected forms. Content in being,  It knows It is without a desire to see Itself.

The blind are most fortunate. Apparently plunged into the depths of darkness, they've been drowned in the light of self.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Now I see the secret of the making of the best persons. It is to grow in the open air, and to eat and sleep with the earth.

Walt Whitman

• Like 1

"Our true nature is unimaginable."

~Radja-Dhi-Raj Sadgurunath Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj Ki Dzhej

• Like 3

4 hours ago, neti neti said:

"Our true nature is unimaginable."

~Radja-Dhi-Raj Sadgurunath Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj Ki Dzhej

True.  Most of us have no idea what we are truly capable of doing.

• Like 3

The mediocre teacher tells.
 The good teacher explains.
The superior teacher demonstrates.
 The great teacher inspires.

―William Arthur Ward

• Like 5

"I believe that imagination is stronger than knowledge - that myth is more potent than history. I believe that dreams are more powerful than facts - that hope always triumphs over experience - that laughter is the only cure for grief. And I believe that love is stronger than death." - Robert Fulghum

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"Myth must be kept alive. The people who can keep it alive are the artists of one kind or another. The function of the artist is the mythologization of the environment and the world." - Joseph Campbell

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marblehead said:

Myth must be kept alive. 

Joseph Campbell was a truly great teacher. He was able to demonstrate how certain archtypical ideas cross the boundaries of our various mythologies. His writings should be considered foundational reading for all seekers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OldDog said:

Joseph Campbell was a truly great teacher. He was able to demonstrate how certain archtypical ideas cross the boundaries of our various mythologies. His writings should be considered foundational reading for all seekers.

The roots of all cultures lie in their myths.  I don't generally approve of holding too tightly to myths but really, myths keep a culture alive and I see no harm in that.

• Like 1

"Enlightenment,  is the event which happens , when one recognizes,  that one is really very tired of considering ones-self unenlightened, and decides to stop." 

• Like 2

By means of the mind you store the mind, within the mind there is another mind.  That mind within the mind, it is an awareness that precedes words.-- Inward Training (nei-yeh)

• Like 1

If writers could see inside the minds of four year olds, the greatest stories would be told.-- Jed Stuart

• Like 1

"I must not fear.

Fear is the mind-killer.

Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.

I will face my fear.

I will permit it to pass over me and through me.

And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.

Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."

-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear. Dune, by Frank Herbert

• Like 3

" A man, can dig himself a hole , with his mouth,,,

faster ,  than he can ,with just about anything else."

• Like 2

Exasperated woman:  "If you were my husband sir... I would poison your tea!"

Exasperated Man:  "If I were your husband madam... I would drink it."

loosely attributed to Churchill, but originally an anecdote overheard on mass transit...

Edited by silent thunder
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, moment said:

By means of the mind you store the mind, within the mind there is another mind.  That mind within the mind, it is an awareness that precedes words.-- Inward Training (nei-yeh)

I liked this because it is rare that someone leaves me confused.

• Like 1

The confusing statement has to do with Daoist meditation and alchemy.

Within the center of the heart-mind, there is another heart-mind. In this heart of the heart–mind, there is a resonance (intent) which precedes words.

It refers, as I understand it, to a kind of spiritual intelligence that develops within but apart from understanding gained through words or experienced through emotions. 

I am still pondering this idea but it has a certain appeal. This is largely the subject matter of The Thread of Dao, by Dan G Ried, where he goes into great detail comparing and contrasting what he calls proto-daoist texts. 

• Like 1