GrandTrinity

Everyone post some favorite quotes!

Every type of bigotry, every type of racism, sexism, prejudice, every dogmatic ideology that allows people to kill other people with a clear conscience, every stupid cult, every superstition, written religion, every kind of ignorance in the world all results from not realizing that our perceptions are gambles.

We believe what we see and then we believe our interpretation of it, we don’t even know we are making an interpretation most of the time. We think that this is reality. In philosophy that is called naïve realism. “What I perceive is reality.” And philosophers have refuted naïve realism every century for the last twenty-five hundred years starting with Buddha & Plato, and yet most people still act on the basis of naive realism.

Robert Anton Wilson

• Like 4

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”-Isaac Asimov

"O to be blissfully ignorant."

• Like 3

IF you are willing to look at another person's behaviour towards you 

as a reflection of the state of their relationship with themselves

rather than as a statement about your value as a person, 

then you will, over a period of time,

cease to react

at all.

~~ Yogi Bhajan ~~

• Like 4

this is one of my favorite quotes.

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.
-alan watts 

• Like 5

I am the punishment of god.  If you haven't deserved it, god wouldn't send you such a horrible punishment.

~~Temüjin Genghis Khan

Edited by Taomeow
  • Like 4

"I am going to drink a lot of Budweiser tonight, I promise you that."

Peyton Manning (moments after super bowl 50)

Edited by zerostao
  • Like 1

Main thought! Not nature deceives us, the individuals, and promotes its ends by hoodwinking us: instead, the individuals arrange all Being according to individual — i.e. false — measures; we want to be right in this case, and consequently "nature" has to appear as a liar. In truth, there are no individual truths, instead there are merely individual errors. The individual itself is an error.

Everything happening within us is in itself something else that we do not know: only we put the intention, the hoodwinking and the morality into nature. – But I distinguish: the conceived-conceited individuals and the true "life-systems", which everyone among us is one — both are conflated into one, while "the individual" is only a sum of conscious feelings and judgments and errors, a belief, a little piece of the true life-system, or many little pieces, thought and imagined to be unified, a "unit" that does not hold.

We are buds on One tree — what do we know about what may become of us in the interest of that tree! But we have a consciousness, as if we would want to and should be Everything, a fantasy of "I" and all "Non-I" Ceasing to feel being such a fantastical ego! Learning step by step to throw of the supposed individual! Discovering the errors of the ego! Looking into egotism as an error! Don't you ever conceive of its opposite as altruism! This would be the love of the other supposed individuals! No! Beyond "me" and "you"! Feeling cosmic.

—    Friedrich Nietzsche

• Like 3

"Forget mistakes, Forget failures. Forget everything except what you are going to do right now, and do it.

Today is Your Lucky Day."

----will durant

• Like 2

I wanted to change the world. But I have found that the only thing one can be sure of changing is oneself.

- Aldous Huxley
  • Like 4

The purpose of words is to convey ideas. When the ideas are grasped, the words are forgotten. Where can I find a man who has forgotten words? He is the one I would like to talk to.

--Chuang Tzu

• Like 6

How could I talk to someone who has forgotten words?

When it comes to two sages having no ideas, they will both have nothing to talk about.

I’ve never been to China and never met a Daoist sage, let alone two together, so I have no idea how they would interact.  However I have trekked by camel in the remote Kimberley region of Western Australia where it borders the Great Sandy Desert.  And there, years ago, I came across a few Aborigines in a bush camp – and one old man was very impressive indeed.  He had a powerful presence, a profound dignity and a great ‘silence’ like wilderness itself but more so. Just sitting with him transformed my headspace. He used no words, but to be in his presence was to be totally immersed in an immense ineffable ‘silence’.  Using Daoist terminology, I would say he had great de.

That’s how I imagine two Daoist sages would ‘converse’.  And I don’t mean like me and him,  I mean two people like him.  Hence the Daoist claim that nature is the best teacher is very real for me – nature, and for him connection with a continuous culture stretching back tens of thousand's of years (now virtually lost).

Edited by Yueya
  • Like 7

(member) Silent Thunder- Sit with it. It will pass.  All emotions are like clouds, storms even, but the fiercest storms are the shortest lived.

• Like 2