GrandTrinity

Everyone post some favorite quotes!

There's always hope, my friend :)

Wow mate.

Thank you!

The timing of me checking this and reading your response is stunningly synchronous and perfectly timed. I just dropped a whole shit ton of negative, silly thoughts, I've been obsessing with for some time.

This is why I inherently love society and people and will never isolate myself for too long in hermitage. I reap massive benefits from the beautiful people around me. This forum never ceases to amaze me.

*deep bow*

• Like 4

Yea, this one surprised me.

At this rate, it would be better for the Pope's health to take up smoking, than to continue to smack the hornet's nest.

That said... no amount of reform could salvage that intrinsically sick and broken institution in my opinion.

We must respect the other fellow's religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart.

H L Mencken

Edited by ThisLife
  • Like 2

"Dear Admin, the user who insulted me and whom you asked to edit has removed the offensive comments from his post. Please advise how I can remove them from my soul." -- someone at another forum

“Although no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending.” - Carl Bard

• Like 1

The kati channel in a taoist text:

Taoist Yoga, Alchemy and Immortality, page 9/10:

The precious cauldron (yu ting) is a cavity in the centre of

the brain (between and behind the eyes) and is the seat

of (essential) nature, that is the original cavity of spirit

(yuan shen shih or the ancestral cavity, tsu ch’iao); its

left and right sides are linked with the pupils of the eyes by

two (psychic) channels; and it is also connected with the

heart. Hence it is said that essential nature is (in) the heart

which manifests through the two eyes.

Cool. Exploring how traditions work with the channel is undoubtedly worth a thread.

• Like 1

My favourite poem is the one that starts 'Thirty days hath September',

Because it actually tells you something.

Groucho Marx

• Like 2

From fellow member Aetherious

'For instance, "happy" doesn't mean to get what you want, such as a new car...it means more to have inner fulfillment or peace. Or if negative emotions were likened to clouds and happiness was likened to a clear sky, then to have the clouds removed.'

What a useful definition and recipe for happiness.

• Like 2

The best lack all conviction while the worst are filled with a passionate intensity.

W B Yeats

If we're referring to the recent Paris attacks, wouldn't both the gunmen and the Hebdo guys be guilty of a passionate intensity?

Courage and perseverance have a magical talisman, before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into air.

john quincy adams

• Like 2

Heaven and earth are ruthless, and treat the myriad creatures as straw dogs; the sage is ruthless, and treats the people as straw dogs. (Tao Te Ching, from Chapter 5, tr. D.C. Lau 1963)

This one reminds me of the book of Job.

(My interpretation of that verse would be: Heaven and earth are indifferent, and treat the myriad creatures as puppets; the sage is indifferent, and sees the people as puppets.)

Edited by FmAm
  • Like 1

"The enlightened man is one with the law of causation."

(Hyakujo's Fox)

Again, comparing to the Bible: stepping outside the law of causation, considering oneself (falsely) as a moral agent, is the Fall of Genesis. That's when the Good and the Evil begins.

"When people see some things as beautiful, other things become ugly. When people see some things as good, other things become bad. Being and non-being create each other."

(Tao Te Ching, tr. Stephen Mitchell)

From the Genesis: "You may freely eat fruit from every tree of the orchard, but you must not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, for when you eat from it you will surely die."

Edited by FmAm

Genuine gratitude requires a deep appreciation of the unselfconscious generosity of others and the environment that supports and sustains us. Having experienced genuine gratitude, we, in turn, are much more inclined to express an unselfconscious generosity towards others and the environment that supports and sustains us. -- Tharchin Zangpo

10375138_10204464574912226_2587235191053
  • Like 5

“What is meant by ‘reality’? It would seem to be something very erratic, very undependable—now to be found in a dusty road, now in a scrap of newspaper in the street, now in a daffodil in the sun. It lights up a group in a room and stamps some casual saying. It overwhelms one walking home beneath the stars and makes the silent world more real than the world of speech—and there it is again in an omnibus in the uproar of Piccadilly. Sometimes, too, it seems to dwell in shapes too far away for us to discern what their nature is. But whatever it touches, it fixes and makes permanent. That is what remains over when the skin of the day has been cast into the hedge; that is what is left of past time and of our loves and hates.”

(a passage from Virginia Woolf's A Room of One's Own)

• Like 2