GrandTrinity

Everyone post some favorite quotes!

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return."
Moulin Rouge

"Time is not wisdom; wisdom is not intellect."

"I'm a good guy trying to do the best."

"Complexity should be your excuse for inaction."

"No one ever considers the question of bladder when dealing with matters of subterfuge."

(From the wonderful book "The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August" by Claire North)

Edited by Grigory
  • Like 1

"That the birds of worry and care fly above your head, this you cannot change. But that they build nests in your hair, this you can prevent."

( Chinese Proverb and someone posted it on TTB today)

Pretty good motto IMO.

Edited by GrandmasterP
  • Like 1

[Meditating] - I always reach exactly the state I want to.... The state of looking at whatever state I’m in at that moment.

( Brad Warner)

• Like 1

Yeah, yeah, yeah. And I'm normally in the state of Florida when I'm meditating.

That's not a quote. This is a quote! ;)

• Like 1

Once, in hawaii, I was taken to a buddhist temple. In the temple, a man said, "I am going to tell you something you will never forget" and then he said "to every man is given the key to the gates of heaven. The same key opens the gates of hell."

-The meaning of it all, Richard Feynman

• Like 3

I'm reading an extraordinary book right now that I would have no hesitation in recommending to anyone who has a love for animals. It's called "The Elephant Whisperer", by Lawrence Anthony. He is the owner of a game reserve in south Africa who tells the story of how a herd of rogue elephants were offered to him and how it changed his life. It is filled with down-to-earth observations about animals, people, and the interactions between them.

This morning I came across this short observation he made and I simply had to share it with someone, somewhere. Some things are just too lovely to hold onto for oneself only, and seem to beg to be shared with others :

"All this activity attracted the attention of other animals and on this occasion it was a bachelor herd of kudu, with their spiral horns so beloved by trophy hunters, who watched with interest. They stood stock still except for their twitching oval ears, taking it all in.

The kudu bulls were a reminder to me to be constantly alert. Wildlife is perpetually aware, always ready to flee or fight in an instant. It’s a life thrumming with eternal vigilance, absorbing every miniscule detail of one’s surroundings, continually assessing degrees of safety and danger. It’s knowing where or where not to be, perpetually analysing instinctual information so crucial for survival.

Every wild thing is in tune with its surroundings, awake to its fate and in absolute harmony with the planet. Their attention is focussed totally outwards. Humans, on the other hand, tend to focus introspectively on their own lives too often, brooding and magnifying problems that the animal kingdom would not waste a millisecond of energy on. To most people, the magnificent order of the natural world where life and death actually mean something has become unrecognizable."

Cultivation of the Mind is to broaden one's vision by not being evasive, defensive, or offensive but impartial and persuasive.

Edited by ChiDragon
  • Like 1

'Folks are usually about as happy as they make their minds up to be.'

(Abraham Lincoln ).

Edited by GrandmasterP
  • Like 2

An item,” he said softly, his eyes on the disc, “that passes without provenance, pursued by many who thirst for its cold kiss, on which life and all that lay within life is often gambled. Alone, a beggar’s crown. In great numbers, a king’s folly. Weighted with ruin, yet blood washes from it beneath the lightest rain, and to the next no hint of its cost. It is as it is, worthless but for those who insist otherwise.”

Steven Erikson, Gardens of the Moon

• Like 1

There was a young student called Fred
Who was questioned on Descartes and said:
“It’s perfect clear
That I’m not really here,
For I haven’t a thought in my head.”

– V.R. Ormerod

• Like 2

"It is hard to understand nothing. But the multiverse is full of it."

( Terry Pratchett)

Edited by GrandmasterP
  • Like 2

Shakespeare

This above all: to thine own self be true,
And it must follow, as the night the day,
Thou canst not then be false to any man.

Groucho Marx

Please accept my resignation. I don't want to belong to any club that will accept me as a member.

E Y Harburg

I could wile away the hours
Conferrin' with the flowers
Consultin' with the rain
And my head I'd be scratchin'
While my thoughts were busy hatchin'
If I only had a brain

I'd unravel any riddle
For any individ'le
In trouble or in pain

(Dorothy)
With the thoughts you'd be thinkin'
You could be another Lincoln
If you only had a brain

(Scarecrow)
Oh, I would tell you why
The ocean's near the shore
I could think of things I never thunk before
And then I'd sit and think some more

I would not be just a nuffin'
My head all full of stuffin'
My heart all full of pain
I would dance and be merry
Life would be a ding-a-derry
If I only had a brain

• Like 1

"The problem with internet quotes is that you cant always depend on their accuracy." ~ Abraham Lincoln

• Like 8

Insanity is the unconscious urge to do the same thing over and over again, anticipating a different result each time.

---Einstein, on the foibles of human hair bits.

• Like 1