Sign in to follow this  
GrandTrinity

Bliss Vs. Fun

Hmmm... I use the word fun to refer to more to sensual pleasures I derive from external activities. Like, "that party was fun". I use the word Bliss to distinguish an experience of pleasure that feels more subtle and seems to arise from a deeper alignment with the Tao. Like, "Bliss began to arise in my abdomen 20 minutes into ocean breathing". Just semantics though.

Heh... I just noticed, it's funny to switch the way I use the terms ... "That party was really Blissful." and "20 minutes into that meditation, some fun started arising in my abdomen."

:D

Sean.

Something may be pleasurable but it doesn't necessarily make you happy.

Sure, they have different connotations with bliss being defined as internal and pleasure as external, but still... you can't have one in your life without the other. The more bliss you have, the more pleasurable is life and vice versa.

When people try to separate these two and say that pleasure is bad or bliss is too difficult to attain, they can subtly start to cut themselves off from the life force.

God's got a sweet tooth, baby!

When people try to separate these two and say that pleasure is bad or bliss is too difficult to attain, they can subtly start to cut themselves off from the life force. 

God's got a sweet tooth, baby!

7715[/snapback]

Agreed. Even the Tao needs a good belly laugh. :D

Sean.

Agreed. Even the Tao needs a good belly laugh. :D

Sean.

7716[/snapback]

True and true. Once a yogi told me "the spiritual path is not a fun path"

and this got me thinking.

Bliss is an experience and fun is an event. A meditation can be blissful. A Movie or baseball game is fun.

Or Sexual Alchemy is blissful. A kettlebell workout is fun.

True and true. Once a yogi told me "the spiritual path is not a fun path"

and this got me thinking.

7720[/snapback]

if it's not fun, whats the point??? or if it doesn't enhance your feelings of fun....

i understand the connotations attached to the words, but perhaps my mind works differently.

to me bliss = some kind of pleasurable experience = almost an indulgence....

sure who doesn't like bliss? but to me it is almost superficial even. or maybe not... just chucking an idea out there.

whereas fun = something that occurs in the moment, in the now. when you are having fun, real fun, time stops.... future and past cease to exist... worries dissapear. there is just you and fun and whoever is sharing that fun with you.

fun is also a choice too i believe. you could make the conscious choice to have fun with every single thing you do in your life.... i would consider someone who is truly able to act like this, as pretty spiritually advanced.

Cool post Neimad. I think I subtly view Bliss as being "higher" somehow, but your view is an interesting reframe.

Fun occurs when the focus is on one plane of being (e.g. physical, mental, astral, early heaven), while bliss occurs when the focus is on the connections between planes of being. ?

Chris

bliss is passive?

fun is active?

could they be complementary opposites?

i would consider bliss to be a state of being... i.e. i feel very blissful today.

whereas fun is an action... i.e. i am having fun.

you could most definately experience bliss whilst having fun.... can you have fun while experiencing bliss?

if you aren't... what's missing? why isn't it fun?

ultimately i believe a major part of our purpose for existing as we do, particularly in this dimension, is to have an experience and then return that experience through the chains of increasing consciousness until it is finally reunited with 'god' or 'the force' or whatever.

why not make it a fun experience huh?

but in addition to that... i also believe the purpose of spiritual practices such as the ones we are all doing on this board, is to bypass the chain and reunite our own experience directly with god.... moving through higher and higher dimensions consciously and actively.

again... if it's not fun, whats the point of it?

Sign in to follow this