Sign in to follow this  
Archaic17

why TaoBUM?

Not affiliated with an organization. On the loose.

This forum is not run by any certain school / tradition / teacher.

(Though of course individuals vary.)

Taoists were known to wander as beggers..... but this place is known as that because in the beginning the founding members came from the Mantak Chia website I think and Sean called it Tao Bums after the Dharma Bums website.

Welcome to da Bums. :)

i dont really like the connection of a taoist to a bum please explain some one..

ever read jack kerouac's 'Dharma Bums'? good stuff. i read that and his other works at a young age; those

reads had huge impact. 'taobums' sounded great to me right away.

• Like 2

Archaic17, are you, by any chance, like me, from the UK?

It's just that the term "bum" has a different meaning in the US.

In the US, it means a tramp or hobo, whereas in the UK it means the human gluteus maximus or posterior! :blink: I think its American equivalent would be "tushy".

There was a 1933 Al Jolson musical film called Hallelujah I'm a Bum! that was corrected to Hallelujah I'm a Tramp! for its transition across the pond.

:lol:

So as we are gathered around the campfire with our Elders are there any more stories about the founding of our Town? I believe it was turbulent times when Healing Tao split.

Pretty sure it was Sean's idea modeled after Dharma Bums.

I still haven't read that book.

Yes in nutshell the Healing Tao board crashed or something and Sean and some other's who still post here like Smile and Pietro got this site going.

There was some drama at the beginning but it eventually cooled off.

It's been interesting watching the development of this site. I don't think about the name much but I guess it is sort of odd to mix the word "Tao" with the word "Bum".

I think most people find it sort of funny though :)

7 hours ago, centertime said:

TaoKings could be better

Or TaoLords.

Or TaoPeople

TaoLadiesandGentlemen

TaoManAndGods.

TaoMania

To me, the nameTaobums feels appropriately humble.  TaoPeople would be alright, if a little bland, as an alternative.  TaoLadiesandGentleman? Well, I suppose honesty isn't always the best policy.  As for your other suggestions, we've already got enough members who fancy themselves Kings or Lords or (heaven forfend) Gods.  They don't need encouragement.

Edited by liminal_luke
  • Like 5
  • Haha 3

I joined  in 2007 ;  but before that ,  what I understand is  that this forum had been existing for many years . I really do not like the name of it ..,  anyway, it is one of the not so many Taoist forums overseas  when  you compare to the  quantity of online forums of Buddhism . Taoist style is always somewhat 'arrogant ' , and to ordinary people , it is the most indifferent religion in the world. All other religions preach zealously spiritual immortality , only Taoist preach physical immortality coldly .

Edited by exorcist_1699
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, exorcist_1699 said:

I joined  in 2007, but before that ,  what I understand is  that it had been existing for many years . I really do not like the name of it ..,  anyway, it is one of the not so many Taoist forums overseas  when  you compare to the  quantity of online forums of Buddhism . Taoist style is 'arrogant ' , and towards ordinary people , it is the most indifferent religion in the world. All other religions preach zealously spiritual immortality , only Taoist preach physical immortality coldly .

道家並未宣傳身體不朽,是搬運法才宣傳身體不朽

Taoism does not promote the immortality of the body, it is the transfer method that promotes the immortality of the body

道家是宣傳金丹真人不朽,而金丹真人不是身體,也不是精神。

Taoism is to promote the immortality of Jindan Zhenren, and Jindan Zhenren is neither body nor spirit.

人生雖有百年期,壽夭窮通莫預知。

昨日街頭猶走馬,今朝棺內已眠屍。

妻財遺下非君有,罪業將行難自欺。

大藥不求爭得遇,遇之不鍊是愚癡。

Although life has a hundred years, it is impossible to predict the longevity of life.

Yesterday, the streets were still running, and today there are dead bodies in the coffin.

The wealth left by the wife is not owned by the king, and the sin karma will be difficult to deceive oneself.

The big medicine does not seek to win the match, and it is foolishness to fail to meet.

https://zh.wikisource.org/wiki/悟真篇

Edited by awaken
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Pak_Satrio said:

because we are all unemployed and soon to be homeless

I think I’m one of the biggest bums here since I’ve been moving around for over a decade now and teaching neijiaquan and qigong has become more and more my primary means of supporting myself. I ain’t Terence McKenna though—a real Dao bum.

• Like 1

Spoiler
On 12/04/2022 at 9:37 AM, awaken said:

道家並未宣傳身體不朽,是搬運法才宣傳身體不朽

Taoism does not promote the immortality of the body, it is the transfer method that promotes the immortality of the body

道家是宣傳金丹真人不朽,而金丹真人不是身體,也不是精神。

Taoism is to promote the immortality of Jindan Zhenren, and Jindan Zhenren is neither body nor spirit.

人生雖有百年期,壽夭窮通莫預知。

昨日街頭猶走馬,今朝棺內已眠屍。

妻財遺下非君有,罪業將行難自欺。

大藥不求爭得遇,遇之不鍊是愚癡。

Although life has a hundred years, it is impossible to predict the longevity of life.

Yesterday, the streets were still running, and today there are dead bodies in the coffin.

The wealth left by the wife is not owned by the king, and the sin karma will be difficult to deceive oneself.

The big medicine does not seek to win the match, and it is foolishness to fail to meet.

https://zh.wikisource.org/wiki/悟真篇

On Googling Jindan I came across an article by  Fabrizio Pregadio (https://goldenelixir.com/publications/eot_jindan.html), which seems to be consistent with what you're saying, but perhaps I'm mistaken?

34 minutes ago, Giles said:
  Hide contents

On Googling Jindan I came across an article by  Fabrizio Pregadio (https://goldenelixir.com/publications/eot_jindan.html), which seems to be consistent with what you're saying, but perhaps I'm mistaken?

是很接近,但是他只是引用劉一明等其他丹道大師的話,這個作者還是講不清楚什麼是金丹。

It is very close, but he just quoted Liu Yiming and other masters of Dan Dao, and the author still can't explain what Jin Dan is.

李涵虛在形容玄關初開的狀況是對的,但是後面他又練錯了。

Li Hanxu was right when he described the opening of the porch, but he practiced it wrong later.

丹道幾乎都被搬運法混淆視聽了。

在氣感的淹沒下,幾乎沒人可以知道什麼是烏肝日魂了。

更別說兔髓月魄了。

更別說後面的蓮花和圓月。

我是帶著悲哀的心來這裡宣傳丹道的。

看到丹道竟然在全世界都被誤會得如此嚴重。

是很感嘆的。

Dan Dao was almost confused by the transport method.

Under the submerged sense of qi, almost no one can know what is the black liver sun soul.

Not to mention the Rabbit Marrow Moon Soul.

Not to mention the lotus and the full moon.

I came here with a sad heart to promote Dan Dao.

Seeing that Dan Dao is so misunderstood all over the world.

It is very admirable.

如果我生出來只有一個使命。

那讓真正的丹道重見天日,就是我的使命。

If I was born with only one mission.

It is my mission to make the real Dan Dao see the light of day again.

The refined essence (feijing) is added to sulphur (Yang) and is then refined again, typically in seven or nine cycles. At each stage it becomes more Yang, until it incorporates the properties of Pure Yang (chunyang), the state prior to the differentiation of the One into multiplicity. 

從這段可以看得出來,這個作者真的搞不清楚什麼是『七返九還』。

『七返九還』絕對不是『七個或九個循環』

在丹道中,七返九還的七是神火,九是金丹大藥。

返還雖然表示反覆。

但是七和九絕對不是七次或九次。

七返九還實際上講的是練神還虛的層次。

七為神,為火

九為金,為大藥

It can be seen from this passage that the author really doesn't know what "seven returns and nine returns" are.

"Seven returns and nine returns" is definitely not "seven or nine cycles"

In the alchemy way, seven of the seven returns and nine returns are the divine fire, and the nine is the golden elixir.

Return although said repeatedly.

But seven and nine are definitely not seven or nine.

Seven Returns and Nine Returns actually refers to the level of practicing God to return to emptiness.

Seven for God, for Fire

Nine is gold, is great medicine

就像三魂七魄,又有幾個人看得懂其中的含意?

Just like three Hun and seven Po, how many people can understand the meaning?

其中的三,意思是五行中的第三,是一個序數。

是肝木。

其中的七是五行中的第七,也是一個序數。

是神火。

三魂七魄講的就是烏肝兔髓。

烏肝兔髓失傳這麼久,我在這裡講得這麼白,卻沒有人聽得懂。

也只有少少幾個人願意練。

放著真正的丹道不練。

卻在練假的氣功。

Three, meaning the third of the five elements, is an ordinal number.

It is liver wood.

Seven is the seventh of the five elements and is also an ordinal number.

God fire.

Three Souls and Seven Souls is about black liver and rabbit marrow.

Black liver and rabbit marrow have been lost for so long, and I speak so plainly here, but no one understands it.

Only a few people are willing to practice.

People don't practice the real Dan Dao.

But people were practicing fake qigong.

Edited by awaken
  • Thanks 1

It seems for me that DAO BUMS is not so good and not bad, too, but I do not understand why "道家学说" was put there, under "Discussions On the Way", because I could not find a direct connection between them.

From my point of view, our website has all kinds of discussions and Daoism discussions might not be a significant part. Are there some stories behind the four characters,  道家学说?

Edited by Shubin

Sign in to follow this