Sign in to follow this  
farooq

Hi everyone

I think these forums are wonderful.

I wish these boards were available when i first got into this stuff.

I got Master Chia's first book in 87, but i was also doing Hung Gar kung fu (off and on) since i was 15.

Going back further, it was at the tender age of 8 that i had my first spiritual experience.

I had been shipped of to Pakistan at that time by my dad to give my grandparents company on the family farm.

So there i was a homesick canadian born city boy living in a rural village with no running water or electricity. I did not speak the language, but luckily, one of my cousins knew some english, and was happy to have a chance to put what he learned into practice.

Being so hot there, everyone slept outside at night. And tht was why i got to experience how the night sky is really like. Most nights would be cloudless, so the sky would be blazing with stars for as far as the eye could see.

One evening, after my english speaking cousin has introduced me to the concepts of our religion, Islam, i was lying down on my rope-tied made bed, gazing at the stars, and suddenly i felt the Oneness of God in me and everything else. Its something thats hard to explain in words. My faith changed right there from intellectual understanding to just "knowing" it in my heart.

So, looking back, in the years that have followed since then, i think i have been slowly trying to build on that experience. Like everything else in life though, it has not been a straight line - peaks and valleys galore :)

I'm married with 4 kids, and one of these days i would love to take them with me to our village. They will proably moan and groan about the heat, flies and mosquitoes, but i'll watch their faces as they marvel at the starry night untainted by modern lights :)

You practiced Hung Gar Kung Fu? Now I get curious... this is a Southern Style Kung Fu, isn't it, primarily imitating this insect where the female kills the male after intercourse, right???

As I am not that familiar with Chinese Terminology I might be compeltely wrong here. Maybe my old teachers Kung Fu is written Ho Gar Kung Fu and is something completely different... but if not that would be interesting, as he was said to be more or less the last teaching that style & that family'S style Tai Chi which is a fighting style Tai Chi similar to the Chen style but different...

actually he was not the son of the master he got the training from, but the friend of the son who was said to have died later somewhere on a ship travel to the United States I believe...

just curious

Harry

You practiced Hung Gar Kung Fu? Now I get curious... this is a Southern Style Kung Fu, isn't it, primarily imitating this insect where the female kills the male after intercourse, right???

As I am not that familiar with Chinese Terminology I might be compeltely wrong here. Maybe my old teachers Kung Fu is written Ho Gar Kung Fu and is something completely different... but if not that would be interesting, as he was said to be more or less the last teaching that style & that family'S style Tai Chi which is a fighting style Tai Chi similar to the Chen style but different...

actually he was not the son of the master he got the training from, but the friend of the son who was said to have died later somewhere on a ship travel to the United States I believe...

just curious

Harry

7671[/snapback]

Hi Harry,

Actually, the style you are referring to is Praying Mantis Kung Fu.

Man, there are sooo many styles out there. Even in Hung Gar which is translated as 'Red Family' is composed of many different versions.... of course who ever you talk to about there version, you usually get the speil that their's is the most authentic :)

Hi Harry,

Actually, the style you are referring to is Praying Mantis Kung Fu.

Man, there are sooo many styles out there. Even in Hung Gar which is translated as 'Red Family' is composed of many different versions.... of course who ever you talk to about there version, you usually get the speil that their's is the most authentic :)

7708[/snapback]

Yeah. You are right. Actually I did a google search and my teacher's style is written HO Gar... so: tell me more about HUNG Gar if you like...

thankx

Harry

Farooq, it's a pleasure to be here with you. Your posts are always filled with warmness and I enjoyed reading your intro here. I have always wanted to travel to the Middle East and on in to India, and now I know to look forward to blinding heat, spiritually profound bivouacking, and mosquito bites. :lol:

Welcome! :)

Sean.

Yeah. You are right. Actually I did a google search and my teacher's style is written HO Gar... so: tell me more about HUNG Gar if you like...

thankx

Harry

7709[/snapback]

Hi Harry,

I am by no means a master of Hung Gar, so what ever i say is just the experience of a hack B)

It has its roots from Shaolin Kung Fu. Hung Gar's most famous fighting set is called Tiger and Crane.

Wong Fei Hung the famous hero in tons of Chinese kung fu movies was a Master of Hung Gar.

Hung Gar is also known as Hung Kuen - or 'Red Fist'

Its is regarded as a 'Hard style' as opposed to "Soft styles' such as TaiChi.

Many members of Hong Kongs Underworld preferred Hung Gar, but that was mainly the old school guys. dont know what the new guys like (probably 9mm :lol:

Anyhoo, I have a deep affection for Hung Gar, but in my old age i'm starting to fall in love with Taichi - blame it on Winn's Primordial.

btw like your handle :)

Farooq, it's a pleasure to be here with you. Your posts are always filled with warmness and I enjoyed reading your intro here. I have always wanted to travel to the Middle East and on in to India, and now I know to look forward to blinding heat, spiritually profound bivouacking, and mosquito bites.  :lol:

Welcome!  :)

Sean.

7714[/snapback]

Ahh Sean, you are a gracious host :)

The world is your oyster, eat it while your young my friend.

btw, i must say it was unfortunate that you and the the other guys had a falling out, and they felt compelled to start another board.

I was not here very much at that time, but when people get polarized it is sometimes very hard to get back to centre, regardless of reason. It is actually a very typical reaction, when we get caught up in worldly affairs.

I also saw the nastiness on the HT board. If i was you - just ignore it. One hand clapping doesn't make as much noise as two. B)

Those guys have taught me a lot in their own way - I hope that you can see them in that light too as time goes by.

Well its thanksgiving in Canada on October 10... so Happy Thanksgiving! :)

Anyhoo, I have a deep affection for Hung Gar, but in my old age i'm starting to fall in love with Taichi - blame it on Winn's Primordial.

btw like your handle :)

7750[/snapback]

:D

Happy Thanksgiving

Harry

Sign in to follow this