Owledge

Gaining the trust of small animals

Who would think it's possible. And it seems to not require a certain amount of intelligence, because when you try to befriend a fly for example, the problem is not the fly, but you, when you don't treat them like any other animal or person. Patience and respect are key ingredients.

Just been patient with a locust

This dragonfly was photographed while alive and sitting on the ground, an inch away from the lens

This hoverfly was rescued by me from a carnivorous plant (Sarracenia). I helped to clean its wings with water and tweezers.

Seems to be very thankful. *g*

What was especially interesting was that the hoverfly kept going back to the opening of the plant's pitcher, and I first thought "How suicidal", but later discovered that yet another hoverfly had been trapped in there, and I rescued that one, too. It might even be the one from the photos, I don't remember.

Edited by Hardyg

I originally took these for my girlfriend but I dont think she'll mind if I share them. I love natures little people and try to befriend them too. Nice topic Hardyg!

Me and a dragonfly.

stoney003-1.jpg

Me and a tiny toad.

stoney007-1.jpg

And it stayed on your hand? Quite a risk to suppose the spider understood you. ... Oh well, in the end it would have been bad for the spider. :rolleyes:

Some days ago I cut the withered pitchers of the Sarracenia and a little spider was very upset about me destroying its hideout. In the end it marched around the border of the flower bucket and then took an aggressive stance towards me. Pretty bold! :lol: But when I slowly put a leaf under its raised feet, it got the idea and I was able to relocate it.

Edited by Hardyg

Recently I discovered a stiletto fly (brown hair - beautiful!) sitting on the violets, took some photos, then took a leaf and gave the fly a lift, then held it to a wooden staff and the fly climbed on it. -> Nice position for a photo:

Luchsfliege.jpg

Yesterday I saw a 'Paint Lady' on the lavender that had a slightly damaged wing. Probably a bird tried to catch it. I slowly approached it with my finger and could touch that area trying to fix it up a bit; the butterfly allowed it!

Distelfalter_beschaedigt.jpg