froggie

Sources of Qi

The Qi that you can store in the lower dan tien vessel; where does it generally come from? Does it matter where it comes from?

Would there be a most primary source, one could say? could one say one can pull it from the earth, pull it from the sky, pull it from (any kind of, or, certain kinds of) radiation?

Can one pull it in by various ways? could one say pull it in from the palms of the hands, the soles of the feet, the crown of the head, the air through the lungs, the pores of the skin?

It doesn't make a difference, does it?

...discuss... :)

----

Edited by froggie

The Qi that you can store in the lower dan tien vessel; where does it generally come from? Does it matter where it comes from?

Would there be a most primary source, one could say? could one say one can pull it from the earth, pull it from the sky, pull it from (any kind of, or, certain kinds of) radiation?

Can one pull it in by various ways? could one say pull it in from the palms of the hands, the soles of the feet, the crown of the head, the air through the lungs, the pores of the skin?

I can contribute a bit from what I've read, but haven't experienced (yet ;) ). Hopefully my words at least point you in a promising direction.

At first, the "dan tien" is place where all the body's chi channels intersect, the body's center of mass, the place where the body grew from as a fetus, etc. so it is very important. For example, it is naturally a good place to store excess chi generated by chi gong practice (a lot of forms do this as a close down). But it is not some kind of infinite battery; when it reaches its limit you must ground the rest of the energy. Moreover you can be storing bad stuff there along with the good stuff. So trying to "fill your dan tien" or "store chi in the dan tien" may not be the best idea at first.

And yet you hear about "creating" and "filling" the dan tien all the time. In alchemy, as I understand it, you want to fill the dan tien with the highest quality energy available, variously called "primordial chi" or "yang chi" (yang as in light/bright, not masculine/aggressive) So first, you must make yourself a proper vessel for the primordial chi. This is done by regulating the body and the breath. But more importantly, you must rid yourself of thoughts, desires, passions and ego. You cannot attract the primordial qi otherwise. "What a tall order that is," you may say, but after all the primordial energy of the universe does not exactly like to dwell in a garbage heap!

I'll stop here because of lack of qualification. I've heard of all of this stuff alluded to in many sources. The most informative was probably Dao Zhen's posts right here on this form. Here is a start:

http://www.thetaobums.com/index.php?showtopic=4793

http://www.thetaobums.com/index.php?showtopic=6181

Happy reading, happy cultivating.

I'm contributing from experience. Qi doesn't come from anywhere specific and it's not stored in Dan Tien either.

Qi is the natural propensity of awareness to shimmer with change. Controlling Qi is using intention to give structure to these changes for the sake of pleasing yourself.

Let me give you an example. There is a river flowing. That's Qi. But it's useless to you because you don't care about rivers. You want to mill grain. So you dam up the river and put a water wheel there. You're basically hijacking natural energy to do your work for you. Result -- you get your grain milled, but there is a side-effect on the river. The side-effect might be OK, but it's there. So you channel natural energy into a structure that's mind-made (the water mill) (well, the original river is also mind-made, but let's forget that for a second). So in this way, you took unstructured energy and structured it for your purpose because you like to eat farm food. This is useless to a hunter-gatherer. So it's basically just pleasing yourself. It's not essential for life, because life is all there is. The other side of death is birth. Life is the ground where birth and death happen.

So qi is like that. You intercept the natural energy of awareness by using intent + beliefs. It's fun, but, there are side-effects. Sometimes they are unpleasant, and sometimes they are ignorable. It all depends how careful you are and how considerate you are of the consequences of your intent.

When you move your intent beyond fixed structures, then you don't hijack/separate Qi anymore.

Storing Qi is like storing energy in the form of fat. It's OK to have 30% fat, if a little ugly. If you have 300% fat, instead of food energy storage master you become a tub of lard who has an increased risk of a heart attack. Qi is like that too. Don't store it. It's always available. You can always channel it when you need it. You don't have to stock pile it.

Edited by goldisheavy

I have considered your post carefully and I believe you have made some excellent points, especially the analogy of the water wheel ... about how the idea of storing Qi can be an artificial contrivance which can disturb the natural flow of Qi.

However I would like to open dialogue with you on the point of storing Qi beyond 100% because I do not believe that to be the case at all. Please let me explain in full...

From my understanding and experience our Self in it's original (100%) state is imbued with the full quotient of Qi. However, through the process of social conditioning, experiential stress and the chasing of sensory desires we deplete the reserves that are available to us. This path inevitably leads us to premature decay and death.

The whole process of Qigong and Nei Dan is to reinvigorate our energy reserves by firstly clearing the energy channels of our body and then by collecting and storing this energy, yes, in our lower Dan Tien. From here the collected energy naturally flows back into the organs to keep them healthy and vital.

Another reason to give focus to the lower Dan Tien is that when thoughts and desires arise our energy floats up and is 'lost', so the act of keeping one's awareness centred in the lower Dan Tien is one of conservation.

So in this sense we are not trying to 'overfill' our energy quotient beyond 100%, merely endeavouring to keep it as 'topped up' as possible and to limit and prevent unnecessary leakages.

:D

I'm contributing from experience. Qi doesn't come from anywhere specific and it's not stored in Dan Tien either.

Qi is the natural propensity of awareness to shimmer with change. Controlling Qi is using intention to give structure to these changes for the sake of pleasing yourself.

Let me give you an example. There is a river flowing. That's Qi. But it's useless to you because you don't care about rivers. You want to mill grain. So you dam up the river and put a water wheel there. You're basically hijacking natural energy to do your work for you. Result -- you get your grain milled, but there is a side-effect on the river. The side-effect might be OK, but it's there. So you channel natural energy into a structure that's mind-made (the water mill) (well, the original river is also mind-made, but let's forget that for a second). So in this way, you took unstructured energy and structured it for your purpose because you like to eat farm food. This is useless to a hunter-gatherer. So it's basically just pleasing yourself. It's not essential for life, because life is all there is. The other side of death is birth. Life is the ground where birth and death happen.

So qi is like that. You intercept the natural energy of awareness by using intent + beliefs. It's fun, but, there are side-effects. Sometimes they are unpleasant, and sometimes they are ignorable. It all depends how careful you are and how considerate you are of the consequences of your intent.

When you move your intent beyond fixed structures, then you don't hijack/separate Qi anymore.

Storing Qi is like storing energy in the form of fat. It's OK to have 30% fat, if a little ugly. If you have 300% fat, instead of food energy storage master you become a tub of lard who has an increased risk of a heart attack. Qi is like that too. Don't store it. It's always available. You can always channel it when you need it. You don't have to stock pile it.

I think Qi is a very misleading concept the way we use it.

We tend to equate it with other things that we think we understand so that it makes sense to us.

This is a trap. The mind cannot figure out qi. The mind cannot figure out much of anything beyond relating it to things it already "understands."

I would suggest beginning to cultivate Qi then you can reach meaningful conclusions about what it is and isn't and whether it is of any value for you to work with.

FWIW, my experience of Qi is more similar to Goldisheavy in terms of it being more of a relationship or a process that occurs between awareness and substance or awareness and being, rather than measurable stuff.

I dunno...

Mo Pai level 1 is filling your dantien 100% full with yang qi.

Level 2 is compressing it to store 200%.

And BTW, you can dowse to see what %-full your dantien is...

I dunno...

Hi there,

They say that Yang chi is stronger at the tops of mountains and high up places. Some relate it to the Sun and its effects such as ionization - a greater number of ionized particles are present at higher altitudes. Who knows though right? There's no proper study that has been done, so all there is to go on is what has been written in unverified ancient (and modern) texts.

Vortex, how do you "dowse" to find how full your dan-tian is? Sounds like an interesting experiment.

I dunno...

vortex et al - having dowsed for water many years (12 out of 12 wells have come in as 'felt' at the time),

and there's always a feeling of the 'qi' being 'topped off', as stigweard said, when process concluded.

my take on that feeling has always been that it seems like a recharge which varies in intensity, perhaps

depending on the level of one's 'gauges' on initiating the process. bit of an aside, but seems in there.

----

The source of Qi is the Yin & Yang transformation. When Yin is transformed to Yang and vise versa, Qi is the outcome.

No, we don't have to store it, unless we deliberately do qi work; Any process outside normal life maintaining activities, like healing, giving birth, healing others, defence, dying, rebirthing, or what have we.

hey man, i really like the replies sp far, i just wanted to let you all know that it's appreciated. :)

From my understanding and experience our Self in it's original (100%) state is imbued with the full quotient of Qi. However, through the process of social conditioning, experiential stress and the chasing of sensory desires we deplete the reserves that are available to us. This path inevitably leads us to premature decay and death.

From my understanding (and this should always be assumed, because I do sometimes get lazy and don't type that disclaimer), what you are saying is close to truth, but distorted.

So let me offer you a "fixed" version of what you're saying.

Let's start at the beginning. Once upon the time you have existed as a stainless lordly being which had nothing but joy and freedom and no limits at all. Experiences appeared and disappeared precisely according to your intent and all was bliss. Then, because you were not differentiating, you gave rise to a certain mental formation that produced a mental split. This mental formation is maintained by you, dear drunk immortal, in an ongoing fashion even as we speak right at this time. From the point of view of infinite bliss, there is no such thing as harm. Because of this, you enter into such formation joyfully and play with it. This split divides the appearances into what you will consider valid appearances (a.k.a. real) and invalid appearances (a.k.a. unreal/hallucinations/dreams). Because of your propensity for entertainment, when structures arose, you gave them weight from your heart and thus imbued them with the weight of validity. All that is maintained in an ongoing fashion! Which means, it's not something you do in the past. It's something you do right now and outside time too.

So what happens then? Your intent became committed to so many things! Out of all the appearances you only identify yourself with a tiny fraction. Then you believe your intent is only valid within that fraction and outside what happens is NOT your intent. However this seeing of "outside" as "not your intent" can only be maintained by your consent and ongoing commitment -- and this takes energy!

Further, since your intent as a mortal being flows through structures, it is not efficient, and much energy is lost for useless things. Let me give you example.

For example there is a cup on the table and you need to lift it to your lips. If you had your original intent, then the cup would miraculously float to your lips. However because your appearances are structured by your ongoing commitment, your remaining intent has to flow through the structure of your anatomy, through the structure of what you believe to be laws of physics, overcome inertia, overcome gravity, overcome other forces like friction, and finally, finally, after much struggle the cup is there by your lips, and you need a nap. In essence your intent is working against itself, and this is perceived as "effort".

The reason that happens is NOT because you LOST your QI!!!! Not at all. Recognize this -- your qi is there, but it's committed to so much work! You're maintaining structures everywhere in your experience! You're maintaining the whole universe with your qi. Even when you use the "fraction" of your qi that you believe to be yours (as opposed to the universal qi), you can't use it directly, but you have to employ it through the structures. That's why you get tired.

If you store qi in the manner you describe, you can marginally improve your health, if you don't overdo it and if you focus more on kindness then on raw energy storage. However, in the grand scheme of things, you'll still be getting tired and maybe even sick, because your qi is tied up in the universe, in the structures, in all your commitments. Even the idea that you have to SUCK qi, as if this other qi is not yet yours and you have to forcefully attract it and store it, that idea itself is tiring, just even thinking about it makes one want to take a nap. How can you spend energy to store energy? It makes no sense! If I spend 5 newtons to store 3, I am still losing 2. So where is the storage? The only way to store, is if you spend 1 to store 10, but how will that work???? You need energy to hold energy in place. To restrict energy, to prevent energy from escaping, you must resist the natural impulse of energy to escape by using your own energy! Thus you cannot truly store it. It's a MYTH. Chuang Tzu knows this and laughs even right now. I can hear him laughing. All the FALSE taoists with no understanding at all try to store energy like fools. But if you are wise, if you want to be like Chuang Tzu, just stop and think for a moment.

The notion of storage involves the notion of containment. Containment is a kind of restriction, a limit. That means that storage has a limit. For example, if you store 2 liters of water in a 1 liter bottle, the bottle explodes. If you store too much electricity in a capacitor, it explodes. Every contemplator knows this intimately. If you store too much fat in your body, it explodes slowly and you die. Why? Because storing implies a limit, and exceeding that limit breaks the identity of the storage containment field. It breaks what it means "to be a container", and thus the process of containment passes beyond recognition.

And like I said before, containing something takes energy in the first place! So in reality you always end up using 10 units of energy to hold 5. It's never 100% efficient and never mind being 200% efficient!

In truth all qi is your qi. When black holes suck in matter, that's you. When Sun shines, that's you. When someone threatens you, that's you. When the country runs poorly, that is you. All energy is yours. And your identity is something you can change, thus all identities are yours and you are also none of your identities.

I hope this explains things. Don't look far. You have the heart of immortality right within right now. It's very near. Only fixed beliefs block perception of it.

Edited by goldisheavy

i'm just thinking, if what you say is true, then dissolving blockages is would be one of the most/more important things. but that being said, if the low dan tien were like a capacitor, it would be okay to store some energy there. :)

From my understanding (and this should always be assumed, because I do sometimes get lazy and don't type that disclaimer), what you are saying is close to truth, but distorted.

Let's start at the beginning. Once upon the time you have existed as a stainless lordly being which had nothing but joy and freedom and no limits at all. Experiences appeared and disappeared precisely according to your intent and all was bliss. Then, because you were not differentiating, you gave rise to a certain mental formation that produced a mental split. This mental formation is maintained by you, dear drunk immortal, in an ongoing fashion even as we speak right at this time. From the point of view of infinite bliss, there is no such thing as harm. Because of this, you enter into such formation joyfully and play with it. This split divides the appearances into what you will consider valid appearances (a.k.a. real) and invalid appearances (a.k.a. unreal/hallucinations/dreams). Because of your propensity for entertainment, when structures arose, you gave them weight from your heart and thus imbued them with the weight of validity. All that is maintained in an ongoing fashion! Which means, it's not something you do in the past. It's something you do right now and outside time too.

So what happens then? Your intent became committed to so many things! Out of all the appearances you only identify yourself with a tiny fraction. Then you believe your intent is only valid within that fraction and outside what happens is NOT your intent. However this seeing of "outside" as "not your intent" can only be maintained by your consent and ongoing commitment -- and this takes energy!

Further, since your intent as a mortal being flows through structures, it is not efficient, and much energy is lost for useless things. Let me give you example.

For example there is a cup on the table and you need to lift it to your lips. If you had your original intent, then the cup would miraculously float to your lips. However because your appearances are structured by your ongoing commitment, your remaining intent has to flow through the structure of your anatomy, through the structure of what you believe to be laws of physics, overcome inertia, overcome gravity, overcome other forces like friction, and finally, finally, after much struggle the cup is there by your lips, and you need a nap. In essence your intent is working against itself, and this is perceived as "effort".

The reason that happens is NOT because you LOST your QI!!!! Not at all. Recognize this -- your qi is there, but it's committed to so much work! You're maintaining structures everywhere in your experience! You're maintaining the whole universe with your qi. Even when you use the "fraction" of your qi that you believe to be yours (as opposed to the universal qi), you can't use it directly, but you have to employ it through the structures. That's why you get tired.

If you store qi in the manner you describe, you can marginally improve your health, if you don't overdo it and if you focus more on kindness then on raw energy storage. However, in the grand scheme of things, you'll still be getting tired and maybe even sick, because your qi is tied up in the universe, in the structures, in all your commitments. Even the idea that you have to SUCK qi, as if this other qi is not yet yours and you have to forcefully attract it and store it, that idea itself is tiring, just even thinking about it makes one want to take a nap. How can you spend energy to store energy? It makes no sense! If I spend 5 newtons to store 3, I am still losing 2. So where is the storage? The only way to store, is if you spend 1 to store 10, but how will that work???? You need energy to hold energy in place. To restrict energy, to prevent energy from escaping, you must resist the natural impulse of energy to escape by using your own energy! Thus you cannot truly store it. It's a MYTH. Chuang Tzu knows this and laughs even right now. I can hear him laughing. All the FALSE taoists with no understanding at all try to store energy like fools. But if you are wise, if you want to be like Chuang Tzu, just stop and think for a moment.

The notion of storage involves the notion of containment. Containment is a kind of restriction, a limit. That means that storage has a limit. For example, if you store 2 liters of water in a 1 liter bottle, the bottle explodes. If you store too much electricity in a capacitor, it explodes. Every contemplator knows this intimately. If you store too much fat in your body, it explodes slowly and you die. Why? Because storing implies a limit, and exceeding that limit breaks the identity of the storage containment field. It breaks what it means "to be a container", and thus the process of containment passes beyond recognition.

And like I said before, containing something takes energy in the first place! So in reality you always end up using 10 units of energy to hold 5. It's never 100% efficient and never mind being 200% efficient!

In truth all qi is your qi. When black holes suck in matter, that's you. When Sun shines, that's you. When someone threatens you, that's you. When the country runs poorly, that is you. All energy is yours. And your identity is something you can change, thus all identities are yours and you are also none of your identities.

I hope this explains things. Don't look far. You have the heart of immortality right within right now. It's very near. Only fixed beliefs block perception of it.

What's your take on the Mo Pai? Is it a false teaching?

What's your take on the Mo Pai? Is it a false teaching?

I don't have an opinion on it. But I trust that you have enough wisdom and good fortune enough to have some friends, so that at the end of the day you can decide for yourself.

When I say that something is "false", it shouldn't be taken too literally. I don't mean it's false, because something else is true. I mean there is potential for disappointment. For example, is my image in the mirror false? Well, if I know it's not exactly me, and that it's just a mirror image, then it's not false. But if I take my mirror image to be myself, then I become very disappointed when I walk out of the mirror's range, and I seem to be moving around without an image of myself -- this seems incongruous with the belief that the mirror image is who I am and creates disappointment.

So when I say "false", I mean there is a capacity for deception. In that sense, also, everything is false. Everything I say is false too. So please be careful. I hope I don't come here to replace one dogma with another. :)

i'm just thinking, if what you say is true, then dissolving blockages is would be one of the most/more important things.

That's how I see it too.

but that being said, if the low dan tien were like a capacitor, it would be okay to store some energy there. :)

I think that everything is good in moderation. Even bad things are good. Salt makes soup tasty. But you'd not eat a salt brick, right? Even wrong practice when done in moderation is right practice. For example, effort in moderation is effortless and is right. Cursing, breaking rules, being bad -- all that is good in moderation.

It's the excesses and getting stuck in this or that pattern that hurt us, or so it appears to me. If you have kindness, everything is permitted. If you don't have kindness, then even the correct actions become all wrong.

Intent, mind -- these are mysterious, but their mysteries are your intimate secrets. If anyone can know such secrets, it is you. If you can read this, you can know it.

Bow

----

What do we use qi for? The mayor energy consumer is digesting solid food and thinking.

I like to think that storing qi in the organs, is NOT for the reason of being, but for the reason of of being "Me". Storing energy in order to energies that memory pattern of thoughts, that I identify with as being "Me".

Being "me" as an ego-concept, is a thinking process and that takes energy and rest. And in order to be so, also in the morning when "I" wake up, storing is a main factor to the "I" concept.

So, the "I" will need to be maintained but general speaking, it's all in the hands of the body, as "I" is for most a result of that body. The body is very intelligent, it does what it takes to be and it has advanced through intelligence. By intelligence, I mean that what takes place between organisms, the social interconnection and behaviour in side out the body. The natural, biological body, is in fact the hole world, not only the internal organs and cells.

Anyhow the natural body can never be preoccupied by an image self - it has no fear and can not be questioned. Natural existence entirely comes down to nurturing the neighbouring entity. The only thing that matters in the natural body, is a happy, healthy neighbour.

(In fact it sound like Yin :) Yang to me)

Edited by Guest