Sign in to follow this  
trailmaker

taoists and the military

following up on suggestion from shontonga facebook posting.

was facing the draft (way back then) so voluntarily joined to have some measure of control.

figured the only way to get through the next three years maybe without having to violate all

kinds of principles was to go as an infantry medic. it worked; didn't have to shoot anybody

and got a feel for healing. if you can't be good, be kind, right?

Thats exactly what I tried to do after 911. But the Army didn't want me back. I did my first 8 years as a grunt but I wanted to be a medic the second time around to keep in line with my values.

I wouldn't join the army full stop. And luckily I doubt I'll have to either as I can't imagine fate/karma making me end up in the armed services.

Edited by SpiralTrance

I wouldn't join the army full stop. Luckily I doubt I'll have to either as I can't imagine fate/karma making me end up in the armed services.

no blame - don't think i would have but for conscription. however, when life gives you lemons get some

tequila and salt.

going with taoist convictions turned a three-year sentence into rich experience that continues to serve well.

no blame - don't think i would have but for conscription. however, when life gives you lemons get some

tequila and salt.

going with taoist convictions turned a three-year sentence into rich experience that continues to serve well.

What country do you live in trailmaker where they have conscription? And is conscription very popular with the masses?

What country do you live in trailmaker where they have conscription? And is conscription very popular with the masses?

living in canada many years now - originally from usa. during the vietnam era conscription was definitely

NOT popular with the masses in america. they stopped conscription after vietnam.

My opinion is that we shouldn't base our life decisions on what Taoists would theoretically do. Our heart knows what's best. The difficulty is in being quiet enough to understand its language.

My opinion is that we shouldn't base our life decisions on what Taoists would theoretically do. Our heart knows what's best. The difficulty is in being quiet enough to understand its language.

for sure. initial difficulty in being still, later really easier - action with less thought-effort.

Back in 1971-'72 my draft # was 1 -yes one out of 365!- They ended the darft about 10 days before my supposed induction. At that time - I said train me and see what happens....I won't fight your war.

I was not alone. We were not only pacifists we were also wariors who would fight for what we believed to be right.

If you want to be a warrior, deside for yourself who your enemy is, study the enemy. Do not let Governments deside who you will fight. They are often badly mistaken.

If in your heart you are a pacifist than make sure that any fray you get caught up in lets you remain non martial in your activities. I am not a pacifist, but I make damn sure I know what I fight for and against!

Back in 1971-'72 my draft # was 1 -yes one out of 365!- They ended the darft about 10 days before my supposed induction. At that time - I said train me and see what happens....I won't fight your war.

I was not alone. We were not only pacifists we were also wariors who would fight for what we believed to be right.

If you want to be a warrior, deside for yourself who your enemy is, study the enemy. Do not let Governments deside who you will fight. They are often badly mistaken.

If in your heart you are a pacifist than make sure that any fray you get caught up in lets you remain non martial in your activities. I am not a pacifist, but I make damn sure I know what I fight for and against!

right on - central and correct.

I did 4 years in the Navy. It was an interesting time, I got to see the world and do some and see some things I may not have ever done/seen had I not joined. It wasn't all good, but it wasn't all bad.

Had I not joined the Navy I never would have had the chance to study in one of the best wushu/performance tai chi schools in the country. I never would have studied Wingchun. I never would have learned about Qigong or met a student of a real Taoist Priest. I never would have read the Magus of Java...and I definitely would not be here on TB.

I did study Taoism in my Asian Religions class in undergrad, but that was back in 2000. I purchased a copy of the Tao Te Ching, but back then it was just good bathroom reading material. Actually, it still is bathroom reading material, but I pay a little bit more attention to what I'm reading.

I'm considering going back into the military, most likely in the Naval Reserves-- but I'll be going in as a chaplain. You know, study in my office, give advice to those seeking help or just wanting to vent, provide for people's spiritual needs.

I did 4 years in the Navy. It was an interesting time, I got to see the world and do some and see some things I may not have ever done/seen had I not joined. It wasn't all good, but it wasn't all bad.

Had I not joined the Navy I never would have had the chance to study in one of the best wushu/performance tai chi schools in the country. I never would have studied Wingchun. I never would have learned about Qigong or met a student of a real Taoist Priest. I never would have read the Magus of Java...and I definitely would not be here on TB.

I did study Taoism in my Asian Religions class in undergrad, but that was back in 2000. I purchased a copy of the Tao Te Ching, but back then it was just good bathroom reading material. Actually, it still is bathroom reading material, but I pay a little bit more attention to what I'm reading.

I'm considering going back into the military, most likely in the Naval Reserves-- but I'll be going in as a chaplain. You know, study in my office, give advice to those seeking help or just wanting to vent, provide for people's spiritual needs.

when i was in as a line medic, there was no work would rather have been doing. had several years of

taoist focus and special forces medical training back then.

the latter was invaluable at times, and at other times, counseling, that focus was equally strong medicine.

remember a couple of multi-denominational chaplains that were real good to drink beer with and talk

comparative religion. airborne chaplains - surreal. best of wishes in the ranks of military clergy. noble service.

Sign in to follow this