Sign in to follow this  
Jakara

Physicist proposes unseen reality

The templeton foundation would do a much better job if they avoided funding science.

A lot of the science they fund seem to be heavily biased, and the result is that even real unbiased science seem to be biased if it ends up being funded or winning some money from the Templeton foundation. I am not just voicing my opinion here, but the opinion from many scientists I have spoken with.

Why?

d'Espagnat came up with a valid point and won the prize. If other scientists couldn't put forward an alternative and valid view then so be it.

Finally Science is getting closer to admit their limitations, so still has a long way to go.

My fave part is when he says:

Through science, he says, we can glimpse some basic structures of the reality beneath the veil, but much of it remains an infinite, eternal mystery.

Edited by durkhrod chogori

It's easy to win the Templeton Prize. All you have to do is bring a veneer of scientific credibility to spirituality in general or Christianity in particular. Make no mistake, most scientists call Templeton winners "sell-outs".

If other scientists couldn't put forward an alternative and valid view then so be it.

It's not like others couldn't do something which d'Espagnat did, they simply chose not to take the million pounds by rehashing Jungian psychology for a science paper. Hats off to them. The world would be a better place if more people were like them.

I don't know about the scientific and religious politics that may go on behind the scenes....

But in general terms, the more and more science and physics develops, the closer it gets to proving things that people have believed were true anyway for thousands of years..... So...... yeah.

...The world would be a better place if more people were like them.

Why?

I think the world would be a better place if we had on top of the social pyramid people like the following:

835503910684.jpg

93784173052.jpg

869038944761.jpg

874639310926.jpg

B)

Someone got a million pounds for combining quantum physics, philosophy, and a bit of mystical speculation? Whence comes this?

Perhaps it's just because he has the credentials he does, as if to give an aura of respectability to such endeavors, after ages of being associated with "new-ageiness". I'm not sure if it will accomplish that, given how most scientists seem to view the Templeton prize (as nac pointed out).

That's not to say Professor D'Espagnat isn't on to something... I happen to think that he is. It just doesn't seem novel, and genuine understanding of these issues is so far off that handing out huge sums of money seems premature.

Then again, they have to give it to somebody.

Why?

I think the world would be a better place if we had on top of the social pyramid people like the following:

1) Offtopic.

2) I beg to differ.

3) The idea of an universal "social pyramid" is an imaginary concept. Some people are better at certain things, others in other jobs. Put everyone where they can benefit all sentient beings the most.

Sign in to follow this