Sign in to follow this  
padge

Blurry vision after meditation

Hey fellow bums,

I've been doing the IAM mantra from Yogani's website for the past 3 weeks or so, about 20-30 minutes a day, sometimes twice a day, some days not at all or just for a bit as I'm lying in bed before I go to sleep.

The past few times after finishing my meditation I have had blurry vision where I have to really try hard to focus to read anything, whether it be my alarm clock or my computer screen. These times were while sitting upright in a chair. Does anyone have an idea why this is?

Thanks!

padge

Edited by padge

Yep, it takes about 30 minutes or so to go back to normal.

In fact maybe even longer than that, it's back to normal now at least. I rested for awhile so I didn't go back to the computer too soon, but after a little while I was able to use it again without really focusing my eyes to try and read the screen.

Edited by padge

That is the main reason. The meditation you do maybe missing some parts. So if you do any of the practise, just relax and not look at screens or TV for about 30mins and then go back to them afterward. It is normal.

If you practise some of the internal alchemy that we do in Taoism, it would be better because you are going to be training under supervision and also there would be a more "complete" system with each practise so you will not miss out anything too.

Thanks for the reassurance Mak Tin Si. I'm pretty content with Yogani's teachings right now so I'll stick to this practice. But thanks for the offer..

Not a problem, good luck with your training too.

Just avoid looking at the screens for 30mins afterward and you can also try some LongYan (the fruit in chinese supermarket that looks like brown balls) eat some and use them to make tea. They are good for the eyes.

By the way, when you meditate, you are in a "opened up state" which also will somehow allow some negative energy or "things" to pass by and polluted you. That would also cause the problem you have now with the blurry eyes. So you can consider to use a "bath cleansing FU" and give yourself a nice cleansing bath to purify yourself first and try to see if the same issue happens.

Are you combining sitting with walking practice in equal halves? If not, start asap.

Edited by durkhrod chogori

Not a problem, good luck with your training too.

Just avoid looking at the screens for 30mins afterward and you can also try some LongYan (the fruit in chinese supermarket that looks like brown balls) eat some and use them to make tea. They are good for the eyes.

Thanks. That's interesting about the tea, I'll see if I can find some.

By the way, when you meditate, you are in a "opened up state" which also will somehow allow some negative energy or "things" to pass by and polluted you. That would also cause the problem you have now with the blurry eyes. So you can consider to use a "bath cleansing FU" and give yourself a nice cleansing bath to purify yourself first and try to see if the same issue happens.

Am I really being polluted or are you just trying to sell me your product? Twice in one thread you've tried to sell me your training and again your FU. Ease up man.

Are you combining sitting with walking practice in equal halves? If not, start asap.

No I haven't, just plain ol' sitting meditation doing the IAM mantra. How is the walking practice done? How does it help? (I assume it's more grounding?)

Edited by padge

Good luck with the tea, you can also add some "Gei Ji" some kind of red little herb you can also get from supermarket (chinese).

I am not trying to sell you anything, using FU, or any taoism methods to solve problems are my profession, I deal with people like this everyday, so that is why I always gives you suggestions with taoism solutions. No hard feelings. It's your choice.

Am I really being polluted or are you just trying to sell me your product? Twice in one thread you've tried to sell me your training and again your FU. Ease up man.

Don't get angry with him or he would try to sell you a "relaxation FU"

:P

YM

YMWONG- Maybe you are the one now selling "relaxation FU" maybe? Do you sell any of these ?

I don't "sell" my wisdom. I spread the tao only.

(when did I say "you have to get this"?)

Is a poster on the wall call selling or promoting?

YMWONG- Maybe you are the one now selling "relaxation FU" maybe? Do you sell any of these ?

LOL

Feel free to call me off when I'd do so

I don't "sell" my wisdom. I spread the tao only.

You can't sell "your wisdom" <sic> because you don't have any

Spreading Dao means letting people see the beauty of Dao by themselves, not making them a slave of your funny superstition.

You sound like a poor copy of a Jehovah Witness

Is a poster on the wall call selling or promoting?

If there is a price tag on the product it is called selling, my friend

YM

YM - did I place a price tag on the FU here? I do not give you the donation amount unless requested. So it is not selling.

Spread the tao means to spread, if you make clothings, you can say it's fantastic and people think it is no good. You just promote it in the public, whoever like it they come along and get one. Whoever do not, just turn their head around and leave. Only those who are going to create problems will stay and comment and be nasty to the promoter?

Hey fellow bums,

I've been doing the IAM mantra from Yogani's website for the past 3 weeks or so, about 20-30 minutes a day, sometimes twice a day, some days not at all or just for a bit as I'm lying in bed before I go to sleep.

The past few times after finishing my meditation I have had blurry vision where I have to really try hard to focus to read anything, whether it be my alarm clock or my computer screen. These times were while sitting upright in a chair. Does anyone have an idea why this is?

Thanks!

padge

Your eyes are getting congested with extra prana or chi from the practice you are doing. You can fix this by sweeping your eyes hold you hands in front of your eyes about 3-4 inches palms facing your eyes make a sweeping motion from the nose out to the temples with the intention of removing the excess energy from your eyes throw the energy into the ground do this about 10-15 times then clap your hands several times. Also do eye exorcise moving them in a clockwise circle 10 times the counter clockwise 10 times this should help very much. Also you may consider doing mediation sounds like you maybe over concentrating causing congestion in the Jana chakra and eyes.

Peace and good luck and may the God Force be with you!

Hey fellow bums,

Thanks!

padge

Are you disconnecting from the world as you know it in your meditation? Because if you are, and your mind is not flexible enough to "come" and "go" like that, it may have some inertia in adjusting to various states of being. I'm putting "come" and "go" in quotations because I don't want to suggest an actual movement.

It would be helpful if you paid attention to subtle feelings or feeling present right as you emerge with the blurry vision and share those feelings here.

Edited by goldisheavy

The eyes are a yang orifice of qi. In sleep and meditation qi enters deeply and flows through the interior, yin aspect of the body. It can take some time for the energy to resurface to the yang aspect for normal function afterwards. You can stimulate the process in a number of ways. Cupping your palms over the eyes, rotating the eyes, or simply returning flow via conscious sensation of the eyes should be adequate. Just give yourself the adequate time, don't worry or strain.

Over time, as qi becomes more abundant and free flowing the adjustment time will decrease.

I know an old man who can meditate in lotus for hours and literally jump out of the position in a moment.

How is the walking practice done? How does it help? (I assume it's more grounding?)

Its is more grounding indeed and also is a form of Qigong plus free reflexology. Try it, you'll see the results pretty quickly, especially during retreat.

Here's a series of videos of Vipassana meditation following the northern Thai tradition:

The order is always as follows:

1. Mindful postration

2. Walking

3. Sitting

And always acknowledging whatever sensations and phenomena occur inside and outside of you.

Samantha meditation (probably the one you practice) is about having mind is deeply concentrated on the object of meditation. Vipassana, on the other hand, is about attainingn the cessation of suffering through rightly understanding mental and physical processes in their true nature.

All the best.

Guest sykkelpump

That is the main reason. The meditation you do maybe missing some parts. So if you do any of the practise, just relax and not look at screens or TV for about 30mins and then go back to them afterward. It is normal.

If you practise some of the internal alchemy that we do in Taoism, it would be better because you are going to be training under supervision and also there would be a more "complete" system with each practise so you will not miss out anything too.

This is bs mak tin si,he dont need any internal alchemy the way you do it.this is normal and actually a sign that chi are moving and channels are trying to open.meditation is the most natural way to cultivate.dont give people stupid advice.by the way i am really tied of your fu bullshit

Padge, I would also suggest doing as much walking as you do seated meditation. Good advice.

Thanks Scotty, I'll be sure to look into it.

Your eyes are getting congested with extra prana or chi from the practice you are doing. You can fix this by sweeping your eyes hold you hands in front of your eyes about 3-4 inches palms facing your eyes make a sweeping motion from the nose out to the temples with the intention of removing the excess energy from your eyes throw the energy into the ground do this about 10-15 times then clap your hands several times. Also do eye exorcise moving them in a clockwise circle 10 times the counter clockwise 10 times this should help very much. Also you may consider doing mediation sounds like you maybe over concentrating causing congestion in the Jana chakra and eyes.

Peace and good luck and may the God Force be with you!

Thanks for these suggestions Jedi. I notice that when I keep my concentration on where my eyes are focussed, I stay in concentration better with the mantra. If I let my attention float away from my eyes, I start daydreaming and lose the mantra very quickly. When I pay attention to my eyes and where they are focussed, I get to the point where I feel I am on the verge of exploding in to bliss and my heart races and I get aroused :o.

Are you disconnecting from the world as you know it in your meditation? Because if you are, and your mind is not flexible enough to "come" and "go" like that, it may have some inertia in adjusting to various states of being. I'm putting "come" and "go" in quotations because I don't want to suggest an actual movement.

It would be helpful if you paid attention to subtle feelings or feeling present right as you emerge with the blurry vision and share those feelings here.

This sounds like a good insight. I don't know if I feel like I'm disconnecting or not, when I'm concentrating on the mantra and I feel kind of like my body takes on more energy it feels different from waking life I guess.

The eyes are a yang orifice of qi. In sleep and meditation qi enters deeply and flows through the interior, yin aspect of the body. It can take some time for the energy to resurface to the yang aspect for normal function afterwards. You can stimulate the process in a number of ways. Cupping your palms over the eyes, rotating the eyes, or simply returning flow via conscious sensation of the eyes should be adequate. Just give yourself the adequate time, don't worry or strain.

Over time, as qi becomes more abundant and free flowing the adjustment time will decrease.

I know an old man who can meditate in lotus for hours and literally jump out of the position in a moment.

That's cool, although I seem to concentrate on my eyes like I mentioned above. So my attention might already be there? Thoughts?

Its is more grounding indeed and also is a form of Qigong plus free reflexology. Try it, you'll see the results pretty quickly, especially during retreat.

Here's a series of videos of Vipassana meditation following the northern Thai tradition:

The order is always as follows:

1. Mindful postration

2. Walking

3. Sitting

And always acknowledging whatever sensations and phenomena occur inside and outside of you.

Samantha meditation (probably the one you practice) is about having mind is deeply concentrated on the object of meditation. Vipassana, on the other hand, is about attainingn the cessation of suffering through rightly understanding mental and physical processes in their true nature.

All the best.

I'll have to check those videos out, thanks!

So I meditated tonight for 40 minutes using the IAM mantra, and I got the most out of it when I would focus my attention with my eyes like they were looking inward towards my brain, or focused a short distance away from my eyes or on my eyelids, I can't really tell. So I had a pretty good feeling meditation and after 40 minutes I didn't want to stop but I figured I should so I don't overdo it (didn't look at clock). So I finished and everything was blurry again. I wasn't worried, went into the other room to talk to my girlfriend and she was showing me some mosquito bites on her leg and I tried to focus and see them and I couldn't make them out at all (they were small mind you). So I thought to myself, MY GLASSES! Just so you guys know I don't wear glasses and have probably only worn them 10 times since I got them about 8 years ago. I'm far-sighted and don't need them to see, they are just a minor prescription. So anyway, I went and put them on and what do you know, I could see :D. So my analysis was that in my meditation since I am focusing my eyes inward, it shifts the focus of my eyes and it just takes a while for them to readjust to my normal state of focus outside of meditation.

Should I be focusing my eyes like this in the meditation? Does it put too much chi at my ajna chakra?

Thanks very much for the replies you guys have shared already, I appreciate it :).

padge

Should I be focusing my eyes like this in the meditation? Does it put too much chi at my ajna chakra?

I the practices I am familiar with, the answer is no. Putting concentration on any fixed location besides the dan tians for an extended period is time will cause congestion or stagnation. If your meditation does not detail where to concentrate on body sensations I would recommend a relaxed, general awareness. Let the eyes relax.

In many forms of meditation, looking at something doesn't mean with your physical eyes, although some qigong meditations actually do recommend using the eyes in the first stages (ie looking at the lower dantian with eyes closed) until the mind alone can direct the process.

Edit: I'll add that in my opinion, we have enough eyestrain in modern society. Most are very suited for a meditation practice that can empty the eyes and allow the consciousness that generally pours forth to return and reside in its origin. In traditional Chinese theory, they would say closing the leak from the eyes allows Hun (aspect of our consciousness that governs dreaming and imagination among other things) to be stored in the Liver network.

Edited by 松永道

That is really interesting. Your eyes have adjusted over the years, but when you meditate they re-adjust back to the original far sighted state.

Sounds like you have figured it out! no teas or alterations necessary.

Thanks Scotty, I'll be sure to look into it.

Thanks for these suggestions Jedi. I notice that when I keep my concentration on where my eyes are focussed, I stay in concentration better with the mantra. If I let my attention float away from my eyes, I start daydreaming and lose the mantra very quickly. When I pay attention to my eyes and where they are focussed, I get to the point where I feel I am on the verge of exploding in to bliss and my heart races and I get aroused :o.

This sounds like a good insight. I don't know if I feel like I'm disconnecting or not, when I'm concentrating on the mantra and I feel kind of like my body takes on more energy it feels different from waking life I guess.

That's cool, although I seem to concentrate on my eyes like I mentioned above. So my attention might already be there? Thoughts?

I'll have to check those videos out, thanks!

So I meditated tonight for 40 minutes using the IAM mantra, and I got the most out of it when I would focus my attention with my eyes like they were looking inward towards my brain, or focused a short distance away from my eyes or on my eyelids, I can't really tell. So I had a pretty good feeling meditation and after 40 minutes I didn't want to stop but I figured I should so I don't overdo it (didn't look at clock). So I finished and everything was blurry again. I wasn't worried, went into the other room to talk to my girlfriend and she was showing me some mosquito bites on her leg and I tried to focus and see them and I couldn't make them out at all (they were small mind you). So I thought to myself, MY GLASSES! Just so you guys know I don't wear glasses and have probably only worn them 10 times since I got them about 8 years ago. I'm far-sighted and don't need them to see, they are just a minor prescription. So anyway, I went and put them on and what do you know, I could see :D. So my analysis was that in my meditation since I am focusing my eyes inward, it shifts the focus of my eyes and it just takes a while for them to readjust to my normal state of focus outside of meditation.

Thanks very much for the replies you guys have shared already, I appreciate it :).

padge

Sign in to follow this