Sign in to follow this  
contrivedname!

Thoughts on ignoring posts or posters you [u]dislike[/u]

i think nietzsche said it well

"Once the mind has been made up close your ear to even the most powerful counter argument. Sign of a strong character. Thus an occasional will to stupidity."

(from memory of Walter Kaufman's translation of Beyond good and Evil)

the ten thousand things are what they are so why all this embrace one discard the other?

after all doesnt the sage say

"Hence, the Sage is always good at saving men,

And therefore nobody is abandoned;

Always good at saving things,

And therefore nothing is wasted."

(john c.h. wu trans)

"A truly good man is not aware of his goodness,

And is therefore good.

A foolish man tries to be good,

And is therefore not good.

A truly good man does nothing,

Yet leaves nothing undone.

A foolish man is always doing,

Yet much remains to be done.

When a truly kind man does something, he leaves nothing undone.

When a just man does something, he leaves a great deal to be done.

When a disciplinarian does something and no one responds,

He rolls up his sleeves in an attempt to enforce order.

Therefore when Tao is lost, there is goodness.

When goodness is lost, there is kindness.

When kindness is lost, there is justice.

When justice is lost, there ritual.

Now ritual is the husk of faith and loyalty, the beginning of confusion.

Knowledge of the future is only a flowery trapping of Tao.

It is the beginning of folly.

Therefore the truly great man dwells on what is real and not what is on the surface,

On the fruit and not the flower.

Therefore accept the one and reject the other. "

"What is a good man?

A teacher of a bad man.

What is a bad man?

A good man's charge.

If the teacher is not respected,

And the student not cared for,

Confusion will arise, however clever one is.

This is the crux of mystery. "

(Gia-fu feng and english translation)

please understand that this post is a paradox :lol: , though in my prespective if you are reading a forum you should read and unemotionally consider every post (not as easy to do as say, like just about everything else :)). i also see deleting posts as stupid, if not all that bad of a thing, how are you supposed to learn off the feedback if you alter it to make yourself look better? in some other post mal said it the best (regarding the ignore function) when he said something like i use it when someones opinion is really annoying me i use this function until i can get my self centered... good advice, the proper use of a tool; though i think you should just deal with the annoyance anyway, or sit on it if you like that prespective

I dont read very long inarticulate posts, or charmless diatribes, or wittering yabber.

Communication/listening for me is fun. So I sidestep the ones who are an earache to countenance, or in the case of a forum, an eyeache.

I truly do have better things to do.

Communication/listening for me is fun.

for me too :)

I dont read very long inarticulate posts, or charmless diatribes, or wittering yabber.

to each their own, but how do you know that they are those things if you dont read them?

chris

i think nietzsche said it well

"Once the mind has been made up close your ear to even the most powerful counter argument. Sign of a strong character. Thus an occasional will to stupidity."

(from memory of Walter Kaufman's translation of Beyond good and Evil)

that's an interesting viewpoint, to favor personal resolve and commitment over truth, reminds me of the code of the samurai (and other ingrained traditions).

But what if you are wrong? :)

please understand that this post is a paradox :lol: , though in my prespective if you are reading a forum you should read and unemotionally consider every post (not as easy to do as say, like just about everything else :)). i also see deleting posts as stupid, if not all that bad of a thing, how are you supposed to learn off the feedback if you alter it to make yourself look better? in some other post mal said it the best (regarding the ignore function) when he said something like i use it when someones opinion is really annoying me i use this function until i can get my self centered... good advice, the proper use of a tool; though i think you should just deal with the annoyance anyway, or sit on it if you like that prespective

well a previous forum I joined didn't have an ignore function and the result was expanded thinking and change of world view.

Communication/listening for me is fun. So I sidestep the ones who are an earache to countenance, or in the case of a forum, an eyeache.

I truly do have better things to do.

I have an aversion to TL;DR my self but mostly because of laziness and eye strain. the parts I quoted are the only ones I read.

to each their own, but how do you know that they are those things if you dont read them?

chris

cos I'm clever.

then again maybe it would better to trust your self as being clever. especially if a lot of prethought was involved, other less thought-out ideas would be a distraction or an annoyance. I already have had a lot of energy invested in finding the right path now I have to shift gears to following that path. otherwise I'd just be running on idle and going no where.

How could you possibly just join a forum and already be talking about the ignore function?

it is possible I guess, during the 4 weeks since he joined that he has come across something to inspire this thread.

by the way, contrivedname!, I learned from this thread that the ignore function only hides the user's posts but not the thread titles.

How could you possibly just join a forum and already be talking about the ignore function?

fairly simply darin, i saw mal reference it in the gossamer post (if you read my whole post, which you may have, you would notice i quote mal from memory), and if you read my hello to everyone i stated that i have in fact been reading this forum since nov. :)

damn cat, your gonna have to show me how to be so clever as to intuit what a thread says w/out reading it :lol:

desert eagle .50 (a Snatch reference)- i could be wrong (for some, for others i could be right), being wrong aint such a bad thing tho, i believe it is how we learn by honestly stating how we feel about things and then letting the chips fall where they will

i have been in a forum like that too, now if there was a forum w/ out "edit" that would sure be something

dont know what tl;dr means, but that is the same for me, when i dont read posts its from sheer laziness, though if i jump into a thread i hmm 95% of the time make sure to read them all. props to you for the honesty there :) (of course you could be lying, but i dont think so)

I've run across two users on this forum since I joined whose posts were so consistently unpleasant that I've used the ignore function. One disappeared for a while and returned much more sedate and refined, the other was banned.

I probably read less than 20% of threads. I pick and choose only what interests me.

There's only so much time I choose to devote to forum discourse.

I like the ignore function. It grants options as to who I am subjected to, when I am logged in... :D

& also allows for me to cool-off without being subjected to those who annoy me - as I hope those whom I annoy may ignore me...

It works!

I don't really ignore posts. Even on other forums and stuff, where I run across more people that I disagree with or just plain don't like, I typically don't ignore their posts. I try to read every post, unless it irrelevant to my area of interest or irrelevant to the conversation at hand (unless it interests me or the off topic information is good, then I'll read it).

I also tend to ignore posts that are part of some ongoing argument between two people.

But I don't use the ignore function or anything like that.

As far as the impact upon spiritual and intellectual growth when using the ignore function.... dunno, up to the person, I guess.

I've run across two users on this forum since I joined whose posts were so consistently unpleasant that I've used the ignore function. One disappeared for a while and returned much more sedate and refined, the other was banned.

I probably read less than 20% of threads. I pick and choose only what interests me.

There's only so much time I choose to devote to forum discourse.

i should have explained what i meant better. i read probably 10% of the threads here; i read what seems interesting and pertinent to my development (sometimes others). i meant that if you go into a topic you are interested in you should listen to all of the opinions there, not just the ones you like, and then respond reasonably, critically, and spontaneously (as possible ;) )

chris

Sign in to follow this