sean

What are you listening to?

I remember my buddy dropping the needle onto Dark Side of the Moon and us sitting back in his basement listening for the first time.  Lights out.  Bean Bag Chairs... Big Joints... the whole nine.  

I still love listening to albums in their entirety. 

Right now, I'm reeling at how fortunate I am.  My partner on this show is part of Rock Legend history.  Peter Jameson, who was life long friends and bandmate with Spencer Davis.   We first worked together on Season Five of The Voice years ago... and I fell out of my chair with joy when I saw him walk in on this show.

In 1971 he released It's Been So Long with Spencer under UA and Peter toured with the Spencer Davis Group for years in the 60's and 70's.  And right now, he's my partner in the Mill.  We just lost Spencer last week to pneumonia at 81, so Peter and I have been playing his catalogue while we work.  I had no idea how much he/they put out. 

I've been picking Peter's brain... Spencer was the reason he first moved to the US... and soon after arriving, Lennon called him up and asked if he'd come play some studio sessions on his upcoming album Imagine... can you imagine?!

Then I look over at the other table and see two Shakespearean scholars riffing and improving on the proper casing spacing for windows in Iambic Pentameter... I love my job!

edit to add:  I'm pushing Peter every other day to get in touch with UA and re-release It's Been a Long Time.  I can't find any digital representation of it, only vynil at the moment.  Hoping he'll get that ball rolling... especially with Spencer's recent passing, get some more of his work out to the youngsters... or maybe it's time I get another turn table and return to the real stuff.  I heard last year, vynil out sold cd's for the first time in decades...

Edited by silent thunder
  • Like 1

I once stumbled across a wonderful reggae variation called Dub Side of the Moon while in a small record shop in Buck’s County -

• Like 1

A little bit out there perhaps, but I love this solo guitar piece by Kevin Cope which attempts to convey a sense of bipolar disorder and its struggles. It’s called Folie Circulaire, an archaic term for the condition.

• Like 1

On 10/20/2020 at 1:46 PM, Sketch said:

Kongar ol Ondar. When the film "Genghis Blues" was in the theaters, I busked in front of the local cinema for my ticket. (Didn't take long. Kind town)

Do you do any throat singing?

• Like 3

Never had the privilege of seeing him live. He gave it all to his music! I have a Gibson Les Paul almost exactly like his, but the finish is different. 

• Like 3

I mess with it. Years ago, friends and I did get the tones David Hykes Harmonic Choir use, fooling around singing under bridges in Philly.

Another friend travelled to Tuva to study the music there, and can sing the karygraa (sic) style well. 

Edited by Sketch
  • Like 3

On 10/28/2020 at 8:01 AM, steve said:

Do you do any throat singing?

Sorry for the double post, new to the mechanical possibilities.

The above is a response to Steve.

2 hours ago, Sketch said:

I mess with it. Years ago, friends and I did get the tones David Hykes Harmonic Choir use, fooling around singing under bridges in Philly.

Another friend travelled to Tuva to study the music there, and can sing the karygraa (sic) style well. 

The practice leader of my sangha can get some overtones when we chant mantra, especially Om

• Like 2

That is supremely cool.

I've considered derailing my whole music AND "cultivation" activities to explore overtone singing (and the whole connection between the voice and everything it moves) with the attention it could take up.

Edited by Sketch

Ly-O-Lay Ale Loya (Circle Dance) is part of the album "Yeha-Noha" (Wishes of happiness and prosperity) released in 1994 by a musical project named "Sacred Spirit" . On the first album, the song "Circle Dance" was presented as a native American chant, however the main vocals are an authentic Sami yoik ("Normo Jovnna" by Terje Tretnes), For each album sold, donations are made to the Native American Rights Fund, a non-profit Native American organization devoted to restoring the legal rights of the native American people.

• Like 1

Out of the Depths - Terry Oldfield

I have to be in a good mood to listen to this. If I am a bit down it can get a little too deep.

• Like 1

Carla Bley Big Band Live Montreaux - Heavy Heart (Steve Slagle)

Roopa Panesar - Rag Malkauns - Utsaah (Full performance)

Duke Ellington Orchestra 1935 - Truckin’
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyeZ6J57bJg&feature=emb_logo

Annette Peacock - (w/Richard Bailey, Robert Ahwai, Max Middleton)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S81DZXNRyKw&feature=emb_logo

Tony Williams - Mr Spock

https://youtu.be/GgSpNWUJ798?t=47

Tony Wiliams New Lifetime- Million Dollar Legs
https://youtu.be/j9Sh5e9RIq8?t=42

Edited by sambista2002
  • Thanks 1

Yes, to be precise the "Ultimate Yes" a 35th anniversary compilation. After a gap of  many years I had forgotten how good they are.

My favorite is  

• Thanks 2