sean

What are you listening to?

I first heard this seven years ago, when it was shared by the artist at a retreat.

Listening to this is like swimming in Light.

• Like 1

João Gilberto, Master Of Bossa Nova, Dies At 88

one of the greats, life pass by,  like a samba 

"and when she passes he smiles  but she doesn't see"

Edited by windwalker
  • Like 1

So saddened to hear of Joao Gilberto's passing. This album is one of my most treasured. So many great songs.

Adeus meu amigo

Edited by OldDog
  • Like 2

Being it's the weekend of the 4th and all, though a little Americana would be good.

• Like 1

"Hailing from Norway are The Devil and the Almighty Blues, a quintet who offer up a hazy fusion of Blues, Stoner and Rock n’ Roll. Their third and newest album, cunningly titled Tre, continues this heady mix – offering up a thick, beefed up take on the Blues for those who like relaxed, stoner grooves. Opening with a Hendrix style blues jingle, “Salt The Earth” slowly builds into a stomping rocker that Kyuss would be happy to call their own. “One For The Sorrow” is practically leaking soul, a track with its roots firmly in seventies rock with a hook to die for, but also pours its heart out. This trend continues with “Lay Down”, another head banger with plenty of heart in between. TDATAB have mastered the art of building a track as “Heart Of The Mountain” demonstrates, a heartfelt ballad that ascends beautifully into a crescendo of guitars before collapsing again once more. “No Man’s Land” picks the tempo one final time before “Time Ruins Everything” shows off the bands full spectrum, peaking and troughing with soaring riffs accompanying blues interludes that build into a stomping finale. It really is a great listen, Tre is a master class in how to play within the best of several genres without sucking the life out of any of them and the songwriting is stunning. When they go heavy, it’s heavy; the blues parts will make your heart weep and all played with heaps and heaps of soul. This album is a great listen."

Spoiler

"This chanel is the best thing that ever hapend to my office since my coworker got a boobjob!"

"I'm not a religious man, but if I was, Stoned Meadow Of Doom (1&2) would be my temple!"

• Like 1

I had the taste of a piece of music yesterday, I could only taste a piece of it ... it was a kind of piano music, but the piano played these rising and falling scales, it seemed like the tide flowing in and flowing out, it was dark and sombre.  I was looking for it.

It was a bit like ambient music, but also very spiritual, and dark very dark.

Could it be Phillip Glass, or Einaudi, someone like that .... their work isn't dark enough.

What about spiritual chillout .... not spiritual enough.

Hmm.  A mystery that I couldn't quite remember.

This morning I clicked on some things randomly on youtube, and there it was.

As if sent to me.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rideforever said:

... rising and falling scales, it seemed like the tide flowing in and flowing out, it was dark and sombre.

I see what you mean. It is a bit dark/somber but not quite unpleasantly so. Seemed to me almost eastern European ethnic to me.

It's well known some chords and modals evoke darker emotions.

I often use music to set or complement a mood ... often to raise my feelings. Probably would not choose something like this.

Interesting though.

On solo piano ...

No secret I like jazz ... but especially piano jazz. And there is none better than Bill Evans. I offer this in response to rideforever's post. There is not a familiar tune in this piece and I chose it so that the chords and modals could speak for themselves without recalling a particular melody. Bill Evans is worth investigating.

• Like 2

On 11-7-2019 at 3:43 PM, OldDog said:

On solo piano ...

No secret I like jazz ... but especially piano jazz. And there is none better than Bill Evans. I offer this in response to rideforever's post. There is not a familiar tune in this piece and I chose it so that the chords and modals could speak for themselves without recalling a particular melody. Bill Evans is worth investigating.

Always nice to hear some jazz, whether it is Sunday or not. ;)

• Like 2

Humphrey Bogart looks around the lounge from his piano, at 2 am on a Sunday night, his cigarette is almost done.  He sees the rain thru the opening front door as he thinks about his buddy that he lost in North Africa. A beautifully sad, drenched woman enters, her limp, soaked hat folded to the sides of her head. You can tell that she has been walking and crying in the rain for a long time. She sees him, he sees her, he motions to his sax player and this song plays and they don't say a word.

Edited by moment
  • Like 2

Sunday morning jazz ...

Heard this this morning and brought a smile to my face. Love this tune. First heard it performed by Gap Mangione in the mid-70s. Have not heard it in quite a while.

• Like 1

It was a rough day today ... busy. So I poured myself a brown ale and listened to one of my favorite artists. Thought to share it.

.... may have to do this again tomorrow.

Edited by OldDog
  • Thanks 1