sean

What are you listening to?

There is some Celtic music in that collection I got from a friend that I haven't even looked at yet.

I'm listening to Old Time Country music right now.  (Yeah, some of it has Celtic roots.)

The celtic tracks put me in the mood to review some of my favorite celtic groups. The Tannahill Weavers are by far my favorite. They sing a wide range of ballads and their musicianship is top notch. Here is a rousing set.

• Like 2

And if you prefer something a littles more idyllic, you can't do better than Dougie MacLean.

Dougie's song is a little too moody for me.

Right now this Wondering Taoist is wondering and I'm not the only one:

Spoiler

Interesting tidbit about that song.  Initially Grand Ole Opry wouldn't allow Webb to perform that song on stage as they said that it promotes drinking but after the song became so popular and the many people requesting he perform it on stage they finally allowed him to do it.

This is my other favorite song from him:

Spoiler

Just for comparison sake ...

There is a genre of country music that it still alive in rural Texas represented by the likes of Johnny Bush, Ray Price, Curtis Potter and others from an older generation. This music permeates Texas dance halls and is geared for .... well, dancing.

Nice presentation of the song.

Yes, I am aware of that Texas tradition.  The last time I was in Texas I actually hit on one of the radio stations that had a segment of the programming devoted to Old Time Country.

Do you know of any internet radio station that is involved in that?

I don't know of any internet radio stations ... tbh, have not looked. Among those carrying on the tradition there is none finer than Jake Hooker and The Outsiders. Here is a sample that perfectly captures the atmosphere of a great Texas dance hall.

Excellent sample.  The only thing missing was the cage to keep the performers from being hit by flying beer bottles.

No, you're thinking Road House. Most Texas dance halls are pretty tame and many are family oriented depending on the genre of music. There are some notorious ones where if you ain't from around there you couldhave some trouble. 

I've been to dance halls and seen children out on the dance floor as young as six or eight. One night at Gruene Hall a 10 year old boy came up and asked my wife to dance. He was with his family and saw my wife dancing and decided to get a little practice in with someone old enough to be his grandmother before asking the girls. Great fun.

• Like 1

Yeah, I had to mention that because of a video I watched a couple days ago depicting Country music from back in the late 1940s and early 1950s.

They had Jerry Lee Lewis in a cage.