sean

What are you listening to?

Stuff I stumbled across on Youtube and can't stop listening to...

Toxic by Yael Naim

Freedom by Anthony Hamilton

Banshee by Kendra Morris

Trying to learn the terrific 5 minute outro solo on this piece by Camel-Ice

Well, if you succeed you have accomplished something good.

• Like 1

Well, if you succeed you have accomplished something good.

I'm getting there. Never been very natural with an instrument, but I enjoy the effort of trying to master it.

I'm getting there. Never been very natural with an instrument, but I enjoy the effort of trying to master it.

Reminds me of those who try to master the acoustic flat-back guitar by trying to replicate Doc Watson.  You will never be as good as Doc was but if you get close you have accomplished much.

I nearly gave that a spin last night, but ended up with Led Zep so I could listen to Kasmir.

Love that line: "and I'm hovering like a fly, waiting for the windshield on the freeway"

Not sure it works so well if you exchange windshield for windscreen and motorway for freeway. :-)

Reminds me of those who try to master the acoustic flat-back guitar by trying to replicate Doc Watson. You will never be as good as Doc was but if you get close you have accomplished much.

You have to add your own style to it. I never try for a direct replication, but to get close to the feel of the piece and then, y'know, do it honky tonk or bar singer. :-)

As Eric Morcambe so memorably said "listen sunshine I'm playing all the right notes, though not necessarily in the right order"

Edited by Karl
  • Like 1

I wouldn't call it the greatest but it is well composed and presented.  That makes it at least a good song.

For the terminal proggy lovers. The brilliant musicianship of porcupine tree doing it live.

I had never heard of her.  Had to look her up.  Yeah, I can see where a guy could be attracted to her.

There was a lot of great stuff that came out of the British folk rock scene of the 60s and 70s that mostly didn't make its way to the US unfortunately.  

Fairport Convention, Steeleye Span, The Albion Country Band, Shirley Collins, Anne Briggs, the Watersons, Martin Carthy, Sandy Denny, Vashti Bunyan, the Incredible String Band, tons more (the Strawbs, whom Rick Wakeman of Yes fame played with, was originally a part of that scene too).  Most people unknowingly have heard Sandy Denny because she sang on "The Battle of Evermore" with Plant.  

It mirrored of course the American folk and folk rock scene, but drawing largely on British folk elements, having its own unique "flavour."  There was a bit of interesting cross-fertilization going on between the US and the UK at that time.

The only reason I know about any of it is when I was a teenager, there was a DJ at a local college station that played all this more obscure 60s and 70s music (much of it British) and I used to listen to it religiously on Saturdays.   

What I love about Sandy Denny's voice is her ability to combine a certain sense of vulnerability and strength at the same time.  

• Like 1

Saturday evening, it's raining here.Atmosphere like this make me more sad particulary one of my dogs has passed away.What can I listen to?

Edited by Junko
  • Like 1

Neville Brothers Will the circle be unbroken.

Sorry for your loss.

Edited by cold
  • Like 1

Saturday evening, it's raining here.Atmosphere like this make me more sad particulary one of my dogs has passed away.What can I listen to?

Holst-Jupiter is uplifting, or the overture to Mozarts Marriage of Figaro. Can't beat Abba-dancing queen and James-sit down and the proclaimers- I would walk 500 miles

Thank you, cold for a warm replay.

Karl,I still go walking with one of the other dog for hours.

• Like 1