sean

What are you listening to?

That's a nice song. Instruments and vocals nicely harmonized.

I'm not very knowledgeable about such. Do you mean guys like Led Zep, Pink Floyd, the Stones?

And do 'blacker' rockers make it on to such lists? James Brown, Al Green etc?

Fair question.

The collection mentioned above includes artists like Spooky Tooth, Savoy Brown, Rod Stewart & The Faces, etc of the same kindness as those you mentioned. I don't think there are any Black artists in that collection.

However, the Black artists are the roots of all Rock & Roll music as R&R has its roots in Blues and Rythym & Blues.

Yes, I do have collections that are predominately Black artists. I have collections of:

Traditional Blues (1950s and earlier) 98% Black artists

Texas/Electric Blues 75% Black artists

Modern Blues 50% Black artists

Rythym & Blues (1940s and 1950s) 100% Black artists

DooWop (1950s) 95% Black artists

Soul (Early 1960s) 100% Black except one song by the Rightous Brothers who are White

I say early 1960s Soul because to my ears when Soul was bought out by Motown it was ruined. Yes, Al Green as well as Marvin Gay were Motown artists but they still managed to keep their own originality and were never totally bought by Motown.

I returned to the states from my first tour in Germany in 1964 and the US still had not re-established itself in the music industry and the British invasion hadn't started yet. The best music I could find on the radio at the time was Negro Gospel music. I enjoyed it. Then, just a few months after that James Brown (He got his start in Augusta, Georgia and that is where I was stationed at the time.) hit the radio and the Soul era began.

Some of the older R&B, Blues & DooWop is still available on CD because some British companies have bought the rights to reproduce the originals for sale.

Damn Apech! I had to look in order to recall who's original that song is - it just wouldn't come to my mind. Led Zeppelin, of course.

Oh!, I forgot to mention my Rock and Roll collection. During the 1950s nearly 50% of the artists were/are Black. During the late 1950s Rock-A-Billy became popular and it pretty much caused a reduction in the number of Black artists performing Rock & Roll. But then, this is what led to the Soul music era.

I say early 1960s Soul because to my ears when Soul was bought out by Motown it was ruined. Yes, Al Green as well as Marvin Gay were Motown artists but they still managed to keep their own originality and were never totally bought by Motown.

I loves all that stuff. Partly I suppose because I heard a lot of it when I was a kid. Though again I'm not entirely knowledgeable about the history of it.

I returned to the states from my first tour in Germany in 1964 and the US still had not re-established itself in the music industry and the British invasion hadn't started yet. The best music I could find on the radio at the time was Negro Gospel music. I enjoyed it. Then, just a few months after that James Brown (He got his start in Augusta, Georgia and that is where I was stationed at the time.) hit the radio and the Soul era began.

He was incredible.

I loves all that stuff. Partly I suppose because I heard a lot of it when I was a kid. Though again I'm not entirely knowledgeable about the history of it.

Yeah, I was right there with the Soul artists so I was very well aware of the changes it was going through after Motown bought most of the artists. But then, with me, the same thing happened with Country as well as Rock & Roll music but the reasons were different in all three cases.

He was incredible.

Indeed he was. The father of Soul as well as the father of Funk. I don't have much Funk music in my collection. I did buy a couple albums by a group called Funkadelic (modified Funk music).

I did buy a couple albums by a group called Funkadelic (modified Funk music).

Yeahhh, George Clinton. He's fairly well-known to hip-hop, mainly from collaborations with some rappers in the '90s. Crazy stuff.

(Perhaps you know them, but) you might also enjoy Skull Snaps (Trespassing, My Hang Up is You, I'm Your Pimp, Al's Razorblade). They're not rock-y, but pretty funky.

I once listened to this song in a room tripping on acid with a strobe light on, while people were throwing those little white balls in those big bean bag chairs up in the air....my strobe light shower idea thread reminded me of it...

Edited by Songtsan

Yeah, that be Acid Rock. Might even classify as Trance Rock. I must admit, I do have one Acid Rock album in my collection.

Indeed, one of their best songs, IMO.

Right now I am listening to a collection of mine titled "Oldies". This would be music from the 1950s, mostly original R&R but also including original R&B music.

Right now The Robins are playing. Most of the members of this group later became the members of the group The Coasters.

Actually, I have listened to both of them when they were popular on the radio but not very often as I was mostly listening to Country music until i switched to R&B and Rock & Roll from its beginnnings.