TheWhiteRabbit

Ubuntu vs Kubuntu vs Studio Ubuntu (Vanilla Ubuntu) vs ....

Hi guys,

Ive tried xubuntu wasnt impressed, ubuntu and was impressed kubuntu (kde) was a bit much...

That do you guys think of studio ubuntu? I think its totally kick ass...

In the past ive done many versions of linux searching for a complete replacement for windows.

Alas, i still need windows *grumble* but am looking forward to the day when ubuntu flavors surpass windows.

Easiest way to install ubuntu or any flavors is to download wubi it installs on your windows partition.

Becareful first timers... read this before jumping in.

http://www.ubuntupocketguide.com/index2.html

Other alternatives is to install from cd ( i recommend installing it to a separate harddrive and unplugging your windows harddrive from the computer before booting the live cd. (it will save you so much hardship!)

how many million flavors are there now?! its been a looong time since I messed w linux. have been thinking about it (at least for my web browsing machine....my studio/recording machine will likely be windows for a long time...unplugged from the internet, of course :lol: )

list of distros I tried:

vector linux, slax, super ubuntu, ubuntu 8.10, fluxbuntu, PCLinuxOS, Wolvix, mandriva 2009, mint, zenwalk and #!crunchbang.

I had problems with all of them but if zenwalk gives me problems I'll probably try xbuntu next. could you please tell me why xbuntu was bad?

super ubuntu was almost perfect but it was unusably slow. I would have settled with !#crunchbang but after updating some things I started having problems with audio/video performance. I currently have zenwalk and vista but zenwalk is not that user friendly and it's package management is not as easy as synaptic. wireless worked either soon after installation or after a few easy steps only in ubuntu 8.10 and super ubuntu.

most cases where I had problems were after doing updates, from that experience I would only update something if i needed it. there is a gnome os that showcases the latest technology and one of those is a smart update system that only searches for the needed files inside a package instead of the entire package but i don't remember the os name now.

I am not an experienced linux user and I reckon ubuntu derivatives would be more convenient for beginners. I was able to use many windows apps and games via wine-doors, but I was only able to use internet explorer using virtualbox.

Ive never had many problems with ubuntu. Except some atheros drivers problems on my laptop but its still awesome plus the synaptic package manager has most of the programs you need free to download just search for what you like, games, applications and install!

Some day i might just try debian linux itself but ubuntu is awesome!

Edited by TheWhiteRabbit

KDE is said to be slow, and I think it's too much wanting to be a Windows imitation, but what I'm missing very often in GNOME is the "Apply"-button! In Windows I would miss it sometimes, but many GUI elements in Linux are made in a way that you really could use this button.

I still haven't found a distribution that is totally focused on usability without any junk, but designed for Linux newbs.

What the Linux GUIs could take over from Windows is the 'feel' of it, though. Linux GUIs are somehow a pain in the ass, hindering quick, fluid work. Things just don't work the way you would intuitively expect them to do.

But I must say I was REALLY impressed when I learned that you can install Ubuntu on any USB drive. I don't mean like the guides out there for adapting a Live CD! It treats a USB drive like any other install target.

This means you could take a USB stick with you, plug it in on a foreign PC, boot from it and you have your own personalized Linux there. (Though it won't work on any system, but as long as the PnP can deal with the hardware present, it works.)

I wonder how many more decades Microsoft needs to add this feature to Windows. Hell... yesterday I was reminded again how totally ridiculous somesting as simple as the Windows (at least up to XP) printer spooler is. Who hasn't at least once experienced the impossibility of deleting a print job from the queue?! At the end I had to reboot the PC and the first job was moved over to the second printer and printed there, but only after the second job had been done, so I got it twice. This simple task became so messed up that even a spider was >accidentally< killed. :rolleyes:

Edited by Hardyg

KDE is said to be slow, and I think it's too much wanting to be a Windows imitation, but what I'm missing very often in GNOME ist the "Apply"-button! In Windows I would miss it sometimes, but many GUI elements in Linux are made in a way that you really could use this button.

indeed, as I read on the net the GUIs from slower to faster are : KDE, Gnome, Xfce.

openbox and fluxbox are derivatives of xfce

I still haven't found a distribution that has is totally focused on usability without any junk, but designed for Linux newbs.

What the Linux GUIs could take over from Windows is the 'feel' of it, though. Linux GUIs are somehow a pain in the ass, hindering quick, fluid work. Things just don't work the way you would intuitively expect them to do.

I agree, someone told me that not learning the console commands i.e. the linux dos-mode commands will leave you with a significant disadvantage.

but there is improvement, when I search now for something I liked in the windows GUI there are now implementations of it in linux GUIs such as the device manager.

But I must say I was REALLY impressed when I learned that you can install Ubuntu on any USB drive. I don't mean like the guides out there for adapting a Live CD! It treats a USB drive like any other install target.

This means you could take a USB stick with you, plug it in on a foreign PC, boot from it and you have your own personalized Linux there. (Though it won't work on any system, but as long as the PnP can deal with the hardware present, it works.)

some distros like mandriva sell a preinstalled flash drive. I noticed that other distros I tried have that feature now. as for windows I think there is a way I saw earlier perhaps treating the flash like a floppy disk and using floppy disk images and burning them, it's a workaround solution though not an official feature.

Perhaps you should give Arch Linux a try with the installation to a USB stick?

Link: Installing Arch on a USB Key

For using a USB stick as install media, take a look at this article as well: Install from USB stick

You should make sure you have a decent sized USB key though, depending on your requirements for what software you want installed on it and whatnot.

Edited by Cyril