Sign in to follow this  
spyrelx

Ving Tsun Kung Fu

I practice Wing Tsun Kung Fu.

There are many types of this southern Kung Fu style, each using a slightly different spelling (Ving Tsun, Wing Chun, Wing Dschun .....).

As there has been a lot of inner style conflict I will not comment on the self-defense value of the different styles. I think nearly all of them are among the best martial arts you can study, but from my own experience Wing Tsun, the style of Leung Ting has some clear advantages in regards to Taoist spiritual cultivation.

It emphasizes softness and is closer to the Internal martial arts than most of the other wing chun styles (but this is not taught explicitely in class and there is no talk about chi). Thus it is very easy to include Taoist concepts in the forms, for example Bruce Kumar Frantzis`s longevity breathing or outer dissolving. I have found that training in the forms helps me relax muscles in the chest area better than even tai chi or any other internal art.

Hi, it's like everything else, it's going to depend on the teacher, not the style per se.

Quoted for truth. Go with your intuitive response to the teacher. Styles are less relevant than the student-teacher dynamic and the level of the teacher. Best wishes with whatever style you choose.

Thanks to all. There are two places relatively near to me that teach it who are somehow connected to a guy named Moy Yat who I guess brought the style to the States.

I'm going to try to check them out and if anything's worthwhile, I'll give a report. Thanks again.

Sign in to follow this