Sign in to follow this  
Owledge

Getting more out of music

In a very old thread Yoda wrote about getting more out of music due to Kunlun practice. I noticed that, too. My listening behavior has changed and I'd say you can also do this intentionally:

Listen to the faint sounds! Ignore the obvious ones, especially voice. (You won't overhear them anyway.) You might experience the vibe or atmosphere of the song in a powerful way.

I heard sounds in music that I never heard before, although they should be easily noticeable!

The intensity of this effect varies, though. I think I'm too tired right now. :rolleyes:

Great subject. A Sufi music teacher of mine wrote a book called The Listening Book, by W A Mathieu, teaches you to listen to the music of life in a whole new way.

It seems to be a state of mind that 'comes and goes' with meditation, because this afternoon the effect was significantly weaker.

Madeleine Peyroux's new album "Bare Bones" (female vocalist light jazz) is recorded very well, and is great to just listen to. I don't even like that style of music :lol: ...but it's about the timbre. Just perfect on that one.

I like to listen to music in the dark, when I'm doing absolutely nothing. So relaxing.

Karen, thanks for the book recommendation. I plan on checking that one out!

Sign in to follow this