Sign in to follow this  
hagar

Responsible for our words

We tell it how we feel. We also have a lot of positive comments about all those teachers you mentioned. :)

No one is perfect.

Just to mention that I would always stand 100% by anything I say about anyone or anything. NW

I hear you.

My motivation for posting this was the question:

Are we aware of the context in which we state our opinions? Without getting any delusions of grandeur, this site is getting quite popular, especially as reference to debate on other forums.

Do we consider that what we write are a potential contribution to basis of choices of often uninformed and misinformed people beginning on the spiritual path, or the path of chi cultivation?

Our discussions in both positive and negative way contribute to form, by now, a considerable part of the opinionmaking milieu of the alternative field on the net related to asian and chinese cultivation practices.

Just check the number of hits that www.thetaoboums.com has.

Interesting, but I for one, see that in retrospect I have changed opinions several times on numerous issues, and changed perspective, yet this does not necessarily become apparent to anyone just googling a topic discussed here.

Just something to be aware, that's all.

h

Edited by hagar

hagar --

Well I also hear you, but I literally cannot be any more responsible about it than I am already. And personally I would not worry about having changed your mind, which is one of the prerogatives of owning one.

When you say:

Do we consider that what we write are a potential contribution to basis of choices of often uninformed and misinformed people beginning on the spiritual path, or the path of chi cultivation?

... I have noticed a tendency (usually cured very quickly by experience) for people to choose a spiritual path as if choosing a brand of cereal... :) I'm afraid I get rather Glenn about it. I'll avoid misleading but I can't give personal advice to impersonal hordes of 'uninformed and misinformed people'... what those people need to do is get informed. We all had to.

I always answer pms on this topic because I realize how important it is. But you cannot repeat caveats ad nauseum either...

All best wishes,

~NeutralWire~

This is a perfect forum to practice right speech. You get to write, edit, etc. before pressing that post button. I believe that many posts here are not directed at people but at the unseen masses--- which in some cases may be why people seem overly defensive of their teacher/method/way and how it gets presented here.

One of the reasons I like the Taobums is because there are so many people out there practicing and posting their experiences.

The way I found the taobums forum in the first place was through web searches. Almost every time I google searched some meditation technique or a teacher, there was a thread about it in this forum that was one of the top links.

Regardless of whether the post was good or bad, it definitely added a lot of perspective to everything I wanted to know. There's so much more to any system, be it martial arts or meditation, than what you see on their main website. It's great to get personalized accounts of stuff, and this is one of the best communities, I think, with a wide variety of people who have actually experienced a variety of systems PERSONALLY. I don't know about other people, but I do a lot of research into a lot of background topics before I jump right into anything, and there's always some nice info on the taobums :)

So, yeah, the taobums comes up quite frequently on search engines, I've even seen some of my own posts turn up when I search stuff :lol: but I think that's a good thing.

Edited by Sloppy Zhang

As a grumpy old cormudgin, I figure I can deal with whatever is slung my way...I hope my will to be honest supercededs my will to be prudent... B)

Been googling around and suddenly landed upon the fact that we, here at TTB are forever responsible for what we write about teachers, individuals and ourselves on the world wide web...

Nothing new under the sun, my friend:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prat%C4%ABtyasamutp%C4%81da

Paticcasamuppada

Written 2,500 years ago by a famous Hindu sage. :)

Nothing new under the sun, my friend:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prat%C4%ABtyasamutp%C4%81da

Paticcasamuppada

Written 2,500 years ago by a famous Hindu sage. :)

Thank you all for you comments.

Daoists have a way of taking the de-facto impact they have on the world with some degree of detachement I see. But it is true, this is nothing new...

durkhrod chogori:

Is your avatar pic of the Mont Blanc? From what I can see it is taken from the Aguille du Midi? N'est pas?

h

durkhrod chogori:

Is your avatar pic of the Mont Blanc? From what I can see it is taken from the Aguille du Midi? N'est pas?

h

MB du Tacul and Mt Maudit in the background and Cosmiques Ridge in the foreground. Paradise on Earth. :)

Edited by durkhrod chogori

As a grumpy old cormudgin, I figure I can deal with whatever is slung my way...I hope my will to be honest supercededs my will to be prudent... B)

good point, to give a cliche "daoist" response i will say that perhaps it is good to find a balance of the two

MB du Tacul and Mt Maudit in the background and Cosmiques Ridge in the foreground. Paradise on Earth. :)

Ah! La vie du Montagne! Mont Blanc is the mountain of my heart. Every time I come to greet her I shed a tear.

I recall seeing the sunrise from the Col du Vallot. Only 400 meters below the summit...sigh!

h

Ah! La vie du Montagne! Mont Blanc is the mountain of my heart. Every time I come to greet her I shed a tear.

I recall seeing the sunrise from the Col du Vallot. Only 400 meters below the summit...sigh!

h

to follow this tangent, one of my favorite ranges here in good ol california is the trinity alps, breathtaking views of the whole valley panning out/feeding into the range from a large rock/dirt outcropping on an initial summit with a fresh waterfall behind, that you just hiked your ass up to get there B)

Sign in to follow this