Sign in to follow this  
Pranaman

rehabituating the breath

I USED TO think that inorder to release tension in my chest, I should breath as deep as possible, no matter how much tension it caused, because that was just the muscle stretching. You may all know that this is terribly wrong. Now my breath is screwed up and different parts of my torso are at different levels of tightness. Breathing should never cause tension.

so, will Ken Cohen's "The Beginner's Guide to Healthy Breathing" help me fix my issue. Any other suggestions?

Edited by Pranaman

Guest sykkelpump

Do anapanasati,it will slow your breath naturally.For me it is also the meditation that builds most chi.Do not try to regulate your breathing,you will get much deeper and very realaxed breathing with anapanasati.Just watch your breath,dont follow it anywhere,that is wrong.If you see the video,do NOT misunderstand and think that you should follow the breath from the nose to dantien.That is chi kung and is VERY difficult to learn,but will happend naturally with anapanasati.The breath is just a tool like a mantra to focus the mind on so thoughts slow down.but focusing on the breath is better than mantra,because you dont need to create a focus point.creating a mantra is mind activity but at the same time you want to stop the mind.The breath is already there you only need to watch it.And also when you focus on the natural breath it will slow down and get very deep by itself.And when breath slows down ,mind follows,so you actually slowing the mind from two angles.And try to relax your head the best you can.When you notice a thought you go back watching the breath over and over again.But,IMPORTENT dont try to regulate your breath.

http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=lear...emb=0&aq=f#

Do anapanasati,it will slow your breath naturally.For me it is also the meditation that builds most chi.Do not try to regulate your breathing,you will get much deeper and very realaxed breathing with anapanasati.Just watch your breath,dont follow it anywhere,that is wrong.If you see the video,do NOT misunderstand and think that you should follow the breath from the nose to dantien.That is chi kung and is VERY difficult to learn,but will happend naturally with anapanasati.The breath is just a tool like a mantra to focus the mind on so thoughts slow down.but focusing on the breath is better than mantra,because you dont need to create a focus point.creating a mantra is mind activity but at the same time you want to stop the mind.The breath is already there you only need to watch it.And also when you focus on the natural breath it will slow down and get very deep by itself.And when breath slows down ,mind follows,so you actually slowing the mind from two angles.And try to relax your head the best you can.When you notice a thought you go back watching the breath over and over again.But,IMPORTENT dont try to regulate your breath.

http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=lear...emb=0&aq=f#

what is the full video called? I've seen it before and it's very good.

I practice zen which is very very similar to anapanasati(actually identical in a stage after what i'm doing).

One reason I want to learn dantien breathing and embyronic breath is because I practice taiji and yiquan. Practicing both i'm sure is healthy.

There is a way of setting off an automatic 'sigh' - where you take a very deep breath very naturally (no directing, forcing, muscle coordination - it just happens) - it involves using a straw - I'll try to find the method for you.

One reason I want to learn dantien breathing and embyronic breath is because I practice taiji and yiquan. Practicing both i'm sure is healthy.

I would say practice breathing.

How do you do this.

Well stay and be relaxed.

attempt to put your attention... you can call it awareness to the breath... as if your sensing the feeling of breathing (This will help you stay awake) try not to have any stray thoughts... Do this for over an hour in full lotus, half lotus, or even standing.

Do this for an hour with the ability to have an uninterrupted mind (without having straying thoughts)... and you will realize that you will gain respect, so much respect among people around you that have seen you greatly develop, you will most likely move onto much deeper deeper practices from your teacher... I'm sure your teacher will know exactly whats happening.

Sign in to follow this