Moonbar

Anyone out there know of a treatment or even cure for Asthma?

:) Hello there Tao Bums,

Would like to pick your brains on this one - I have had Asthma ever since i can remember, its well controlled with drugs & does not interfere with my life too much.

Has anyone heard of a treatment or even cure for the condition?

Would love to hear anyones thoughts on it & even what the condition is - from a Taoist point of view.

I wish you well- I only know that a few good friends have used a drug -"Tedrol" -don't know spelling- and that it caused them a lot of bad times - It disaffects the nervous system to make people very cranky and the withdrawal is painful.

There are a few chinese herbal medica you can get there to try if you want me to suggest, very easy to get.

In Taoism, there are some very special ways to cure these stuff too. But it takes some time. Permanent cure.

Thanks Wayfarer64, Ill stear clear of that one - Im taking Beclometasone & Salbutamol sulphate at the moment & it keeps me clear :)

Mak Tin Si, Yes if you would suggest some herbal treatment that would be fabulous & you know of a cure!?

I would very much like to hear more about that :D

Thankyou for your time.

I'd be interesting to hear of a cure - I've had asthma all my life, and there are plenty of researchers looking for a cure. Obviously none has been found.

In terms of treatment, do you mean for immediate relief or long-term asthma help? I suggest exercising (I do 5 days a week of lifting/cardio) to help increase the lung capacity in general, but I have yet to find any sort of relief for an attack.

I'm o n no asthma medications ( I refuse to be, knowing how terrible they probably are for your body), and I only use my inhaler if I can't sleep. I guess the beauty of it is I only get asthma at home (pets, mold), or when I exercise very hard or run in the cold.

I've tried every proposed fix including drinking coffee for caffeine and sitting in a steamy bathroom. Just slowing myself down works but it's agonizing either way.

Hi moonbar,

Asthma isn't just one entity with one cause - it has characteristic symptoms, but each person who has it may have different underlying causes. So treatment has to be able to address the causative level and not get hung up on the label that only describes the symptoms.

The reason it can't be cured is because there is no one entity called asthma to cure. But.. if the real causes can be identified in each case, and those are removed, then that qualifies as cure. And that can be done. When the causes are no longer there, there is nothing left to anchor the symptoms, and the symptoms disappear. Otherwise, you could suppress the symptoms with drugs, but no matter how much you do that it can never qualify as cure.

Usually there are multiple causes in any one case of asthma,. Some of the causes can be vaccinations and other suppressive drugs like steroids; various emotional traumas; and inherited factors that can get triggered by trauma. If you know when the asthma first began, there may be clues there.

The Heilkunst system of medicine systematically removes these causes on the energetic level, although it's not specifically Taoist but it's based completely on natural laws of healing. I'd highly recommend pursuing that.

And as part of that, or something you could do independently, is Buteyko breathing. The book Breathing Free by Teresa Hale is a good read, but you can also find lots of info online.

Getting good quality water and salt would be very important. Some people find that salt pipes help. I don't have a reference for that, but you can do a search. These things can ease symptoms, and that's fine, but usually there are also deeper culprits to root out.

If you're managing symptoms with suppressive drugs, it's great that you can get needed symptom relief, but there are other ways that can do that without the negative effects of those drugs. Not just the chemical toxicity, but suppressing disease can drive it more deeply into the system energetically and cause worse problems down the road. Fortunately, that's usually not necessary. Heilkunst has a very high success rate with this and other chronic illnesses.

Best,

Karen

Hi, I just finished compiling all the known proven natural remedies for asthma including breathing exercises, western and Chinese remedies: Natural treatments for asthma

Oh, yeah, Karen is right, there is no such thing as asthma disease, just a bunch of symptoms that doctors lumped together under a name so they can sell chemicals for the rest of your life as "treatments".

Hi, I just finished compiling all the known proven natural remedies for asthma including breathing exercises, western and Chinese remedies: Natural treatments for asthma

Oh, yeah, Karen is right, there is no such thing as asthma disease, just a bunch of symptoms that doctors lumped together under a name so they can sell chemicals for the rest of your life as "treatments".

Agree with Smile and Karen.

I've heard of breathing exercises that could fix asthma also.

Wow thankyou so much everyone for your input, I thought that steroid drugs were the only option :) but you have given me plenty to research.

I thought that i pretty much had a handle on what Asthma "was" but you have given me a whole new angle on it, I will begin my new research now.

Thanks again :)

Taiji!

My teacher had asthma from a pretty young age. After 3 years of regular taiji practice it was gone and still is. He attributes his recovery to taiji specifically.

thanks for that post, I got an email that claims a sudanese engineer removed his asthma completely by using six cloves after removing their round pods and steeping them in half a cup of water before sleeping at night then taking them first thing after waking up for 15 days.

Hey Moonbar, I am sure you are aware of practices such as pranyama which I am sure would benefit you. Additionally, I recall skimming over an e-book wrote by a person who developed specific exercises he claimed would cure asthma. I know it is floating around the net somewhere. Will post more information if I can find it. Dietary restrictions such as ellimination of dairy might also be something to consider.

Good luck on your quest.

You can cure it completely. Try this -- lower the level of your anxiety in general. When you feel it's hard to breathe, relax and breathe slowly. Stop whatever you are doing. Clear your mind. Relax. Smile in your mind. Be gentle. Be kind. Be kind to yourself. Feel the kindness go into your lungs. Slowly and easily breathe. Notice all the positive and good aspects of breathing. Ignore the negative aspects. When you have easy time breathing, remember this!

When asthma starts to recede, be ready to forget it. At some point you will have to stop asking yourself if you still have asthma or not, if you are cured or not. Just forget it. Let it pass.

If someone asks you about your previous condition, you can talk about it as if it happened to the version 1.0 of you, whereas you are version 2.0 of yourself now. In other words, do not associate with your bygone condition too deeply.

Lowering anxiety can be the real sticky point though. You might have legitimate issues and those issues may need to be authentically resolved. In other words, you might be anxious for a good reason, and until that good reason goes away, it may feel fake to pretend to have no anxiety when you have a genuine concern that bothers you.

Edited by goldisheavy

You can cure it completely. Try this -- lower the level of your anxiety in general. When you feel it's hard to breathe, relax and breathe slowly. Stop whatever you are doing. Clear your mind. Relax. Smile in your mind. Be gentle. Be kind. Be kind to yourself. Feel the kindness go into your lungs. Slowly and easily breathe. Notice all the positive and good aspects of breathing. Ignore the negative aspects. When you have easy time breathing, remember this!

When asthma starts to recede, be ready to forget it. At some point you will have to stop asking yourself if you still have asthma or not, if you are cured or not. Just forget it. Let it pass.

If someone asks you about your previous condition, you can talk about it as if it happened to the version 1.0 of you, whereas you are version 2.0 of yourself now. In other words, do not associate with your bygone condition too deeply.

Lowering anxiety can be the real sticky point though. You might have legitimate issues and those issues may need to be authentically resolved. In other words, you might be anxious for a good reason, and until that good reason goes away, it may feel fake to pretend to have no anxiety when you have a genuine concern that bothers you.

Good luck trying this. Clearly you've never had asthma.

I can promise you my asthma is in no way anxiety related.

Good luck trying this. Clearly you've never had asthma.

I can promise you my asthma is in no way anxiety related.

Anxiety has many levels. Not all anxiety manifests as shivers and panic. I felt the oncoming of asthma a few times in my life, usually when walking or running uphill. Every time it started to appear, I would stop running or walking, relax. Breathe slowly. Dwell on how easy and pleasant it is to breathe. Then I would forget the episode. I don't have asthma. But I also feel like if I wanted asthma, I certainly had an opportunity to enter into it and stay there. I declined.

That's the best I can say. I am certain it is possible to completely cure it and I am certain it's more mental of a condition than most other conditions. It's up there with autoimmune disorders, allergies and so forth. Every problem has its roots in the mind, but asthma is so close to the surface of the mind that it's "mind caused" in the Western understanding of what mind is, in my opinion.

Edited by goldisheavy

That's the best I can say. I am certain it is possible to completely cure it and I am certain it's more mental of a condition than most other conditions. It's up there with autoimmune disorders, allergies and so forth. Every problem has its roots in the mind, but asthma is so close to the surface of the mind that it's "mind caused" in the Western understanding of what mind is, in my opinion.

I would agree with you, but thus far I have not personally found out how to tame it. Believe me, even if I sit and do a meditation, repeat mantras in my head, or simply ignore it - it may reduce a little, but it still comes on full force. I can control it enough to where I can function - but in the event of a bad attack there is nothing whatsoever I can do.

It's a bit of a scapegoat to say "every problem has its roots in the mind". I think we would've fixed many more problems if that were the case.

Mind caused? I'm not quite sure personally. Given the fact that I only get asthma in 1 environment, the house I I return to where my parents live. Every time I go home for thanksgiving or anything else, the mold in the basement and the combined fur of the pets makes me unable to breathe. I go outside for 1/2 a day or so, and it's mostly gone. I go back inside (even when no one is there), and it returns.

No amount of mind over matter (at least that I've attained yet..) can help me get over an asthma attack at home, where after 30 minutes I've been breathing so hard that my neck muscles are sore the next morning. I

1) sweep out Lungs

2) Sweep out Heart Chakra

3) Sweep out Lung Meridians

4) Reduce intakes of drinks in Aluminum cans

5) OXYTHERAPY

6) GET a ZAPPER

7) Go out for LONG walks daily with deep breathing

8) Salt Baths 1x a week

9) Fasting the day of your birthday every week (if you born monday you fast every monday).

10) LUNG SOUND "SSSSSSSSSSSSSSS" or Emei Mountan Version "Shhheeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaan"

11) Eat more fruits reduce COLD foods & Cold Drinks

12) reduce "Boxed" food.

13) BHUJANGASANA 10 MIN A DAY

14) SARVANGASANA 10 MIN A DAY

15) DRINK COLLOIDAL SILVER

I had SEVERE ASTHMA from 2 yrs old till 18 never again after i began serious yoga & chi kung.

I am 32 now.

Peace

Santiago

I would agree with you, but thus far I have not personally found out how to tame it. Believe me, even if I sit and do a meditation, repeat mantras in my head, or simply ignore it - it may reduce a little, but it still comes on full force.

That's right. So you do feel it. Most likely problem is you don't understand how to "control" it. Don't attempt to suppress it. Instead, starve the asthma of your love. Put yourself in this frame of mind, "Dear ashtma, I have nothing against you and if you want to manifest, do so, but you are on your own. I will not help to manifest you and I will not give you my love." Starve it of your love but don't hate it. Let your asthma be. Just don't feed it with your heart. Then. Imagine the greatest kindness you can. Dwell on the feeling of kindness and softness. Then allow this feeling to suffuse your entire being and your lungs in particular.

Do this once a day or whenever you feel like doing it. Be kind to yourself and merciful, but also don't be hoo haa over your condition either. Don't fret. So on one hand, avoid pissing in your pants. If asthma wants to kill you -- let it. Do not fear. But on the other hand, be kind, be very kind to yourself. Combine fearlessness with kindness. Be simple. Be soft. Breathe easy. Try this. Don't just say it doesn't work without even trying. What I describe can be performed easily, comfortable, right where you are, and it is pleasant too. So it's not a big burden to try it.

It's a bit of a scapegoat to say "every problem has its roots in the mind". I think we would've fixed many more problems if that were the case.

It's not a scapegoat. What I say is true. You just have no idea how deep the mind goes and what it all affects. What you are saying is true for you at this time. Yet I invite you to consider that you may have more possibilities and more untapped potential than you realize. This is a view of inner empowerment. I invite you to accept this view at least temporarily to see what implications it has for you.

I am pretty sure that asthma is amenable to hypnotherapy. If you want to be lazy and if you don't want to use your own mind on your own, try visiting a good reputable hypnotherapist and let him/her do all the heavy lifting for you.

-----

Let me ask you this. Close your eyes and envision yourself, with all your senses and with your entire being, envision yourself breathing as you would like to breathe. You are healthy. When you do this, DO ANY FEELINGS COME UP? Do you feel, "this feels wrong!" Or "this cannot be me"? Or "this is almost right but something is off...."? In other words, do you sense an inner rejection of the vision of the perfectly healthy you? Be honest to yourself. You don't even need to tell me what you find. You can keep it to yourself if you want.

What happens sometimes is that if you envision your ideal self, you'll instantly get a reaction from your mind. Your mind may want kick the image out, it may say something like "I don't deserve this", or "this is not me", or "it's possible, but not for me" or "this feels odd", etc... It's showing you a rejection if you get feelings like that. If this happens to you, you need to contemplate and understand this rejection. You will need to convince your subconscious mind that it really shouldn't reject your ideal vision of yourself. Most of the time this is possible. But sometimes your mind is dead set on letting you suffer. Maybe your mind is deeply convinced you need to suffer for some reason. It's not necessarily a punishment. For example, if you are compassionate, you can have diseases just by having diseased people near you. Why? That's because your mind can refuse to feel good when others don't feel good. There are different ways to deal with this. But one possibility also is to accept this kind of sickness as something sacred. There is an option of not even trying to heal the sickness and to just enjoy it and accept it with grace. All options are open. Only your inner wisdom knows what is the best way for you.

Edited by goldisheavy

Hey Moonbar.. I just wrote you a long reply and lost it.. dang, dang, dang. So I'll be brief..

BLACK CUMIN is an age old remedy for allergies and asthma .. works for me.

EFT is truly effective for dealing with asthma.

BUTEYKO method empowers you to stop overbreathing.

:)

and yes, SALT PIPES are great too... good to keep by the bed, for example, in case of need.. though intentional EFT works just as well, ie you dont have to actually do the physical movements, you just 'think' through the moves. it works!

Good Luck.

Oh yes, and YAMOA works for a lot of people too. do some googling!

have you tried the herb of "Moon Shan Hung" (it's a pill) 滿山紅.

Also, you can try to eat more pears, (the chinese kind) which give some relief too.

Mak Tin Si

Goldisheavy - thanks for the input, i sometimes do feel that my asthma may have a psycological element eg. if i realise one day that i forgot my meds then i will feel anxiety build & tightness soon follows - however i feel that this is is probably a fear or even dread from when i was younger & had some very bad attacks, very much like what Daochild speaks about (no amount of visualisation would help).

Its like going for a run but only being able to breathe through a straw while doing it.

Cat - sorry i cant help but smile at your post I HAVE DONE THAT TOO - SO MANY TIMES :) thankyou for the advice on Cumin & Buteyko though i will look into those.

Varyasattva - wow thats quite a list (a lot of sweeping) with regards to meridians & chakras-i dont know how to do it, i have recently began some Nei Gong training so hopefully that will help.

& to everyone else who has offered advice - thankyou so much :D i am very very grateful, i thought i was stuck with this condition for ever ... but maybe im not.

:)

Mak Tin Si - This is great news ... I LOVE PEARS! I dont think my local market in Ringwood will have the chinese ones though :( but i can only look :) thankyou my friend.

Edited by Moonbar

Go visit your local acupuncturists or chinese doctor. They'll give you some acupuncture treatment and prescribe some herbal formulas for you. You always want to take herbs in formulas because

they have a synergistic, detoxifying, as well as harmonizing effect. Some herbs help direct the active herbs to the source of the problem. If you just take an herb, it will not be as effective. Always remember that your body is not just physical (skin and bones), but mental and emotional as well. Anything mental or emotional can affect how your body functions. Always think positively.

I would personally start on a daily breathing regimen. 100 seated deep abdominal breaths per day. Count to 5 as your breath in and then exhale naturally, pause, then do it again.

Wish you all the best.

For the long run, donate money to the charities of sick kids or help build schools. I am sure that this is the permanent fix for you in the long run if you build this as a habbit every month. (donate every month) This will help you to reduce and even dissolve the whole problem later.

Wish you all the best.

For the long run, donate money to the charities of sick kids or help build schools. I am sure that this is the permanent fix for you in the long run if you build this as a habbit every month. (donate every month) This will help you to reduce and even dissolve the whole problem later.

Mak is right Donate to worthy cause that helps kids.

This Cleans your aura & Energy & Also improves or prevents you from other stuff that could harm you.

Do it from the heart. And do not expect anything in return.

Do it for the Universe/Tao/Allah/Creator etc.