Sign in to follow this  
ju yue

advice and direction

thanks, stigweard for the welcome and the recommendation...

i am new to the forum.

i have read and self applied quite a lot in the field of taoist studies....i suppose what i am looking for at this point is a real live teacher- and it seems i am not the only one here on the forum seeking this!

i am going to list some of what i have read thus far and perhaps anyone who reads this can point to other things i should explore....

opening the dragon gate

the scholar warrior

immortal sisters

vitality energy spirit

chronicles of tao

7 taoist immortals

tao te ching

chuang tzu's writings

jade emperor's mind seal classic

shambhala's guide to taosim

magus of java

several translations of the iching.....

i would LOVE to read more about the emergence of systems thinking and ecoliteracy and its relationship to taoist thought. i love being witness to the process of 'rediscovering' and viewing old knowledge through a modern lens.....i see so much of this demonstrated in behaviors and tendencies in our time...over and over science seems to be recognizing that patterns, processes, and relationships between matter/beings are far more important that quantities, form and 'substance'. that small systems are parts of larger systems and larger systems are part of even larger ones, etc.....taoists figured this all out long ago without any other tools except the power of mind....

if anyone knows of anything that might be good reading, or any real human teachers that are worthy of approaching, please pass on the info! i need experience and guidance..

much appreciated in advance,

ju yue

thanks, stigweard for the welcome and the recommendation...

i am new to the forum.

i have read and self applied quite a lot in the field of taoist studies....i suppose what i am looking for at this point is a real live teacher- and it seems i am not the only one here on the forum seeking this!

i am going to list some of what i have read thus far and perhaps anyone who reads this can point to other things i should explore....

opening the dragon gate

the scholar warrior

immortal sisters

vitality energy spirit

chronicles of tao

7 taoist immortals

tao te ching

chuang tzu's writings

jade emperor's mind seal classic

shambhala's guide to taosim

magus of java

several translations of the iching.....

i would LOVE to read more about the emergence of systems thinking and ecoliteracy and its relationship to taoist thought. i love being witness to the process of 'rediscovering' and viewing old knowledge through a modern lens.....i see so much of this demonstrated in behaviors and tendencies in our time...over and over science seems to be recognizing that patterns, processes, and relationships between matter/beings are far more important that quantities, form and 'substance'. that small systems are parts of larger systems and larger systems are part of even larger ones, etc.....taoists figured this all out long ago without any other tools except the power of mind....

if anyone knows of anything that might be good reading, or any real human teachers that are worthy of approaching, please pass on the info! i need experience and guidance..

much appreciated in advance,

ju yue

Are you interested in seeking Taoist scholars or Taoist energy/awareness teachers? Let us know what area of the world you are in and possibly someone can make some suggestions.

I do teach in a taoism temple, and I have now accepted and taught a few students online. If you would like to hear from them about how taoist REALLY learn, you can PM me for more talks if you wish.

When I first approached Daoism, I asked my teacher what readings he would recommend.

His answer was none. I pressed him for an explanation and, in brief, his point was that Daoism is more about being than about knowledge.

If you have interest in Daoism, I think it's worth your time to take a stab at Daoist meditation/cultivation.

Intellectual pursuits can only take you part of the way. Then they get in the way.

That's right, books for taoism = 0. The more you read without real training, the more blurred you became.

That is a very very good point. Also why I say just reading the TTC without any training under a master is no good. You just make up your own stuff in the mind when reading, it becomes fatasizing...

Mak Tin Si

If you have interest in Daoism, I think it's worth your time to take a stab at Daoist meditation/cultivation.

Intellectual pursuits can only take you part of the way. Then they get in the way.

I humbly disagree with you Xuesheng.

I think the issue is when they the intellectual pursuits deter you off your path.

My understanding is you practice your practice because that's yours path, and as you progress in your practice you must understand theory.

I believe in Oral Traditions (passing down the art) they teach you the theory and the practice.

I don't think its a bad idea to spend time studying, contemplating, or reading other texts as long as your trying to figure out things and it doesn't take away from your practice... Although I do think it would be better to spend your time practicing because it would be more beneficial in my humble opinion.

Ju Yue, Welcome to the boards, I would always recommending learning Zazen meditation.

Or you could start learning Tai Chi... as long as the Tai Chi teachers start off with some form of meditation early on.

Sign in to follow this