Apech

Eye of Horus

post-3061-1236609193_thumb.jpg

The discussion thread about the un-carved block set me thinking about the Eye of Horus. There is a debate as to whether spiritual work is about refining, forming, intending some purpose or how much it is just returning to a natural un-formed state. Or that is how I would express it.

The story of Horus in some ways illustrates this. The Eye of Horus is really his 'being' - his vehicle of experience and/or his ability to see the unobstructed truth, the nature of things and himself. The story of the injury of his eye has many resonant meanings but one is about how this original consciousness which he, and all of us, have in our innocent state, is fragmented. It is injured by Set during the fight between the two for the crown of Egypt.

One way in which this fragmentation was represented was in the use of the eye symbol for fractions. Each of the parts of the eye were used for the fractions generated by repeated halving. Thus : 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, 1/32, 1/64.

post-3061-1236609144_thumb.jpg

Dividing or splitting in two has in itself some very deep metaphysical meaning. We talk about duality in the separation of observer and the observed and also in qualities of existence, light/dark, positive/negative, male/female, hot/cold and so on. So from division we get a kind of unfolding of the qualities of existence. Comparison becomes possible as does an understanding of the relation between things.

Having been injured in this way Horus is of course laid low. There are various stories about how his sight became restored. Some relate to the compassion of the goddess Hathor and others to the wisdom of Thoth. In one set of stories Horus is given the Sons of Horus in repayment for the loss of his whole vision, of his eye. These Sons of Horus are the precursors of what we now know as the four elements. So Horus is given the four elements as a way of analysing reality when his complete and immediate vision, with which he was born is fragmented.

Thoth the god of wisdom is a prime agent in the restoration of Horus' eye. He does this in the guise of the great healer/physician. He is said to spit on the eye to heal it. At the same time he is said to gather together the fractions into which the eye had split and put them together into the 'sound' eye, which is also called 'wadjet' or the 'Green One'.

In the Osirian story there is an episode where his body is split into pieces and then reassembled by Isis and her sister Nephthys. They find all the pieces except his phallus which has been swallowed by a fish! To restore him in entirety they make a magical penis to replace the lost one.

Similarly if you add the fractions which the parts of the eye fall into you get 1/2+1/4+1/8+1/16+1/32+1/64= 63/64.

One 1/64 is missing! What does this mean?

Well, the 1/64th symbol is the vertical stroke under the eye, which is usually taken as part of the formalised version of the markings on a Falcon. So the missing 1/64th is like this one.

This is like the missing phallus of Osiris which is magically restored because all the parts do not make the whole. A cliche though it is we can say "the whole is more than the sum of the parts!" If we understand reality to be something like a field of consciousness, then the fragmentation of Horus' eye will be like the fragmentation of our awareness until we see reality as separate objects in space having little or no relation to each other. From this confused state those of us who have any sensitivity or awareness of their own nature try to find a way back to what we intuit to be our original wholeness. To do this we do have to work. We have to work against the attachment formed to our mistaken view of things and the actions which arise as a result of this. But the goal of our work is in a way our pre-confused state.

What saves us is the 'missing' part of the eye. The 1/64th. which represents the original power which precipitated the whole process. What saves us, ironically, is that it was never missing. It is the indwelling consciousness which never leaves us, which is why, having pieced things together we can 'magically' produce the missing part.

So for me anyway, both are true. We have to refine, having fallen into confusion, but we already have and always have had the 'missing part'.

A.

Edited by apepch7
  • Like 1

Fascinating.

Did the fractions actually appear in ancient texts? Another thing I've certainly never heard of before... NW

Yep - in mathematical papyri. Here's an example:

post-3061-1236636267_thumb.jpg

some people relate the parts of the eye to the five senses plus thought - this makes intuitive sense but I ahve never seen an Egyptian source for this idea. And different writers do it differently.

There is much in Egyptian mathematics which points to a divine interpretation - usually related to time measurement.

Very interesting... You have my interest peaqued... Hmmm.

In the tomb of king tut there was a necklace said to raise the dead... The eye of horus was on the front, and the back piece had two djed symbols on either side of another ankh like symbol without arms or with arms down... some kind of ptah symbol

Wondering wht the significance of it was but, since the malachite beads were rough and unrefined it gave me a headache to hold.

If you have more and would like to write more about this at your leisure it would be awesome. It kind of has me doing more research of my own...

The matematic is interesting... It must be some type of mathematical school like the pythagoreans had or there might have been some kind of cult about it.. very cool.

Cool about the spitting that has simiiarities to african and asian healing (holy water) techniques....

Edited by TheWhiteRabbit

Dumb ?: I don't get it - how are you getting the fractions?

eyeofhorusfractions.gif

1/2+1/4+1/8+1/16+1/32+1/64=63/64. Just add all the fractions that you showed, vortex.

There is much in Egyptian mathematics which points to a divine interpretation - usually related to time measurement.

And does the sacred-geometrical idea enter your own assessment of this? I haven't read Schwaller de Lubicz but is he your kind of deal?

NW

Yes, thanks, apepch. It really makes sense. It's the one, becoming ten thousand things, all over again.

It's reality being a kaleidoscope.

Yes, thanks, apepch. It really makes sense. It's the one, becoming ten thousand things, all over again.

It's reality being a kaleidoscope. Or our perception being kaleidoscopic.

Very interesting... You have my interest peaqued... Hmmm.

In the tomb of king tut there was a necklace said to raise the dead... The eye of horus was on the front, and the back piece had two djed symbols on either side of another ankh like symbol without arms or with arms down... some kind of ptah symbol

Wondering wht the significance of it was but, since the malachite beads were rough and unrefined it gave me a headache to hold.

If you have more and would like to write more about this at your leisure it would be awesome. It kind of has me doing more research of my own...

The matematic is interesting... It must be some type of mathematical school like the pythagoreans had or there might have been some kind of cult about it.. very cool.

Cool about the spitting that has simiiarities to african and asian healing (holy water) techniques....

I think the symbol you saw was this:

post-3061-1236684308.gif

it is called 'tyet' and is known as the 'knot of Isis'. Egyptologists say it is a symbol of 'protection' which is as about as helpful as saying it is 'symbolic'. It is actually a 'yoni' symbol (to borrow from another tradition) and refers to the 'saving' nature of female sexual energy.

The djed pillar is a combination of phallus and backbone (the small cross pieces near the top are vertebrae). This is to do with Osiris becoming alive = erect. People talk about the resurrection of Osiris but actually following his death he became the king of the underworld (Foremost of the Westerners - west being the land of the dead) and his wife and her sister Isis and Nephthys managed to revive him sufficiently for him to conceive Horus. he then lived on through Horus his son.

Having found his body parts and assembled them Isis hovered over his corpse as a Kite (small bird of prey) and managed to induce an erection and ejaculation so she could get pregnant with Horus even though Osiris was technically dead. So you can see how powerful they regarded the inducing energy of the vagina!

You can take this as to do with the interaction of male female polarities - rather than a thumbs up for necrophilia :D:D:D .

Dumb ?: I don't get it - how are you getting the fractions?

eyeofhorusfractions.gif

Vortex its simply the way the Egyptians used the parts of the eye as symbols for fractions.

And does the sacred-geometrical idea enter your own assessment of this? I haven't read Schwaller de Lubicz but is he your kind of deal?

NW

de Lubicz had a lot of profound things to say about Egypt - but personally I stay away from his work because I find it 50% Egyptian and 50% his own ideas. Sacred geometry yes- because everything was sacred to them - but not like Euclid - the Greeks took the theory to another level IMO.

de Lubicz had a lot of profound things to say about Egypt - but personally I stay away from his work because I find it 50% Egyptian and 50% his own ideas.

I thought you might say something like that, personally I'm going to give him a miss for the mo.

apepch7,

Can I digress a little here and ask you what you think of the books by Jeremy Naydler? If you have read them anyways.

Bill

apepch7,

Can I digress a little here and ask you what you think of the books by Jeremy Naydler? If you have read them anyways.

Bill

I enjoyed his "Shamanistic Wisdom in the Pyramid Texts" and think that he has made a contribution to moving academic opinion away from the old entrenched views (which he summarises well). And I agree with the phenomenological approach to the texts.

I've done quite a bit of study of the Pyramid Texts of Unas and I think they are key. No one I have read has really got to the heart of them though.

A.

I enjoyed his "Shamanistic Wisdom in the Pyramid Texts" and think that he has made a contribution to moving academic opinion away from the old entrenched views (which he summarises well). And I agree with the phenomenological approach to the texts.

I've done quite a bit of study of the Pyramid Texts of Unas and I think they are key. No one I have read has really got to the heart of them though.

A.

Hey, Mr. A.,

Can you write about the Pyramid Texts of Unas, and why you see them as key? Maybe you already have, is there a link?

thank you, Mr. M F

Hey, Mr. A.,

Can you write about the Pyramid Texts of Unas, and why you see them as key? Maybe you already have, is there a link?

thank you, Mr. M F

Hi Mr. M F,

I've written up the first part and I'm working on the next bit.

Its here:

Pyramid Texts

I'll let you know when the next bit is ready - it will deal with the akhet chamber which is about going across the sky to the East and climbing the ladder of Horus and Set.

Cheers.

John

post-3061-1236609193_thumb.jpg

The discussion thread about the un-carved block set me thinking about the Eye of Horus. There is a debate as to whether spiritual work is about refining, forming, intending some purpose or how much it is just returning to a natural un-formed state. Or that is how I would express it.

The story of Horus in some ways illustrates this. The Eye of Horus is really his 'being' - his vehicle of experience and/or his ability to see the unobstructed truth, the nature of things and himself. The story of the injury of his eye has many resonant meanings but one is about how this original consciousness which he, and all of us, have in our innocent state, is fragmented. It is injured by Set during the fight between the two for the crown of Egypt.

One way in which this fragmentation was represented was in the use of the eye symbol for fractions. Each of the parts of the eye were used for the fractions generated by repeated halving. Thus : 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, 1/32, 1/64.

post-3061-1236609144_thumb.jpg

Dividing or splitting in two has in itself some very deep metaphysical meaning. We talk about duality in the separation of observer and the observed and also in qualities of existence, light/dark, positive/negative, male/female, hot/cold and so on. So from division we get a kind of unfolding of the qualities of existence. Comparison becomes possible as does an understanding of the relation between things.

Having been injured in this way Horus is of course laid low. There are various stories about how his sight became restored. Some relate to the compassion of the goddess Hathor and others to the wisdom of Thoth. In one set of stories Horus is given the Sons of Horus in repayment for the loss of his whole vision, of his eye. These Sons of Horus are the precursors of what we now know as the four elements. So Horus is given the four elements as a way of analysing reality when his complete and immediate vision, with which he was born is fragmented.

Thoth the god of wisdom is a prime agent in the restoration of Horus' eye. He does this in the guise of the great healer/physician. He is said to spit on the eye to heal it. At the same time he is said to gather together the fractions into which the eye had split and put them together into the 'sound' eye, which is also called 'wadjet' or the 'Green One'.

In the Osirian story there is an episode where his body is split into pieces and then reassembled by Isis and her sister Nephthys. They find all the pieces except his phallus which has been swallowed by a fish! To restore him in entirety they make a magical penis to replace the lost one.

Similarly if you add the fractions which the parts of the eye fall into you get 1/2+1/4+1/8+1/16+1/32+1/64= 63/64.

One 1/64 is missing! What does this mean?

Well, the 1/64th symbol is the vertical stroke under the eye, which is usually taken as part of the formalised version of the markings on a Falcon. So the missing 1/64th is like this one.

This is like the missing phallus of Osiris which is magically restored because all the parts do not make the whole. A cliche though it is we can say "the whole is more than the sum of the parts!" If we understand reality to be something like a field of consciousness, then the fragmentation of Horus' eye will be like the fragmentation of our awareness until we see reality as separate objects in space having little or no relation to each other. From this confused state those of us who have any sensitivity or awareness of their own nature try to find a way back to what we intuit to be our original wholeness. To do this we do have to work. We have to work against the attachment formed to our mistaken view of things and the actions which arise as a result of this. But the goal of our work is in a way our pre-confused state.

What saves us is the 'missing' part of the eye. The 1/64th. which represents the original power which precipitated the whole process. What saves us, ironically, is that it was never missing. It is the indwelling consciousness which never leaves us, which is why, having pieced things together we can 'magically' produce the missing part.

So for me anyway, both are true. We have to refine, having fallen into confusion, but we already have and always have had the 'missing part'.

A.

it is very knowledgeable read it

Interesting, didn't know these details about the eye of Horus.

I'm familiar with various conspiracies and with freemasonry. The eye of Horus (That you can also find on top of a piramid on the back of the dollar bill), is in fact the eye of satan, not the eye of God, as a freemason might deceive you into thinking, or what they say on television (never believe in that box), you can look it up. High level freemasons regard it as the eye of their master, the daijjal/satan. I don't necessarely believe that aliens acutally control the governments, possible, but I dont really believe this theory. You can also look up the fact that that world leaders and bloodlines reproduce between themselves only, this means that they actually have something in theyr genetic code that they want to keep to themselves. I believe that the Nephilim were people interbread with fallen angels - they where the so called egiptian gods. (I think piramids and domes, actually a way to manipulate energies in different ways, you can look up "architecture and energy"). You can also look up that the royal bloodlines date back at least to ancient egipt, and that very influent world leaders are interrelated.

You should figure out what I'm trying to convey here.

If I piqued your interest, or you would like to have a more broad image I reccomend "The Arrivals" series that you can find on this blog. If you do decide to thake the red pill, I reccoment you receive it with an open mind, watch the first 20 episodes don't judge from the first episode cause you might get the wrong idea.

Why watch it? I personally found that the series answered many questions, I've had regarding our future, and present even past. Also it's one of the most interesting things I've seen on video. And I also found out about the deceptions that we confront every day, from cradle to grave. The illusory Yang world we live in, that even orientals are turning themselves to this yang, they actually where originally predominantly yin (because of culture), and that ancient teachings are vanishing.

I recently read the "Magus of Java", and I might add that the series and the book add up, you can actually make some sense what your purpose in life migh be, at least that is what I discovered, you might have a different idea.

P.S. Before dismissing, any information please, first look it up, from multiple sources, that is if you are interested.

Edited by DanTin

There is a set of uglier underlying truths about that Horus/Hera

system that weren't told. Siddartha Guatama told them in the

discourse with Ananda about Demons using Demon Mara techniques

to steal powers from people. This is more common than people think.

The Elders (Zeus, Aphrodite, Diana, Genius, Mercury, etc...)have been

trying to chase this stuff down for millions of years.

The theft of powers are done through body hijackings.

• Like 1

Sorry but this thread is about the Eye of Horus, its use for fractions in Egyptian mathematics and what this means symbolically. All this is supported by facts drawn from Egyptological research.

If you want to discuss conspiracy theories why don't you start a new thread.

This also may link to the missing letter in YHVH, or that when you add the "spiritual fire" of the letter SHIN to YHVH you get what translates to Jesus. This "bit missing" we find in different ancient texts i think is our core essence.

The Eye of Horus all so has a deep alchemic meaning which has to do with the anus. Most writers pass it over but if you read Crowley and Regardie you will get it. Move Slowly, Cloudhand

• Like 1

The Eye of Horus all so has a deep alchemic meaning which has to do with the anus. Most writers pass it over but if you read Crowley and Regardie you will get it. Move Slowly, Cloudhand

This rings true - the Egyptians said "the buttocks are the buttocks of the eye of Horus" so there is a relation with the lower body. Can you explain more as to what Crowley and Regardie said?