Sign in to follow this  
baloneyx

Heavy Drinking & Smoking

Ok smoking first, i mean seriously! what the hell are smokers thinking!? there is no positive side to it, it smells and has nothing but negative effects, it's just nasty! :P And on top of that people are paying to be poisoned... :blink:

Now drinking, ok this one has a plus, it can be fun to go out with friends and get a bit happier and whatnot, BUT from what I see a lot of young people just wanna drink until they drop and then somehow glorify it into something it's not.

I just can't understand how people don't mind destroying their health and body like that, some just dont care at all, it's kinda sad...

In some cases some are just clueless I think, like this girl who said shes on a diet and yet there she was drinking lots of alcohol and diet coke with its artificial sweeteners... :huh:

Am I missing something? Why can't I understand their actions!? :wacko::lol:

There's a new smokeless electronic cigarette.

http://www.njoythefreedom.com/

I don't smoke at all but it actually makes me want to start. :lol:

I don't like to drink much either...just like half of a good beer in the evening and I'm happy.

To answer your question: people are stupid.

I think it's a LITTLE more complicated than that.

yeah i ve seen those mecha sigs, a friend of mine got one to try and quit, but it hasn't really worked <_<

I sometimes try and think there might be more to it than just being stupid, but then when I think about how much we were told in school how smoking is bad and yet people did it later in life anyway, I understand why you see it that way. It's like tellng someone DON"T BASH YOUR HEAD AGAINST THE WALL!! no good can come of it, and then a little while later you hear "BANG" :lol:

Bagauzhang Master Lu Zijian

at 93 years, he's 116 now I believe.

Grandmaster of Praying Mantis

was 91 in this video.

they both are two examples of people who have lived a long and healthy good life while smoking many times everyday.

what's going on here is that tobacco doesn't destroy your body unless it is COMMERCIALLY produced tobacco, with chemicals and additives.

think,"ayauhuasceros", "sacred tobacco".

I don't know, that's just my rap anyway, who knows.

Edited by Pranaman

I smoked for over 10 years.

When I first started it was a high school thing. People were smoking so I started. I really enjoyed it. Then I smoked everywhere. I hadn't smoked for over 5 years. Then started again after my first Kunlun workshop.

I didn't sleep for over a month and was going through some crazy stuff. So I figured I better light up :lol:

I smoked for a few months after that. Actually it wasn't until I moved back to Atlanta and got really sick that I stopped. I hadn't gotten sick at all living in Arizona. The weather here just does really good for me. I could smoke and eat garbage and still feel good since the weather is so great. As soon as I moved back to the East Coast that was gone. I felt so bad, vomitting for a week straight. That when I tried to light up it felt disgusting.

I have completely transmformed my life since then. I Haven't touched a cigarette for months. I work out almost every day. The idea of smoking is a real turn off now.

But we a have to go through what we have to go through I guess. As stupid as our decisions are sometimes.

Edited by Cameron

Quoting myself,

I should clarify: I never said I wasn't a person.

This is a FU in taoism for "quitting smoking addiction". You can drink this or wear it for 49days period and it will help you to totally get rid of the feeling of wanting to smoke!

This is a FU in taoism for "quitting alcoholic addiction". You can also drink this with a herbal tea and take it 7days a row, then it can cure your alcoholic addiction problem.

It's like tellng someone DON"T BASH YOUR HEAD AGAINST THE WALL!! no good can come of it, and then a little while later you hear "BANG" :lol:

Well perhaps someone told them that if they hyperventilate and then knock themselves unconscious they will have a wicked trip B) (do not do this {as if that will stop people})

Like most ex uni students I'm partial to a bit of binge drinking :lol: Not so much now as I tend to feel too 2nd hand the next day and there are better things than alcohol. I'm not into nicotine but if you don't like smoking I recommend http://www.storz-bickel.com/vaporizer/vaporizer.html

And finally

I just can't understand how people don't mind destroying their health and body like that, some just dont care at all
It doesn't help that the consequences are in the future and the gratification is now. e.g. Perhaps people are right and ejaculation will kill you.... but it feels GREAT and you can't tell it's "bad" until it's too late. So if the pleasure comes before the pain people will do it... just because they can :)

Erm.. not sure where everyone is getting their sources.

Smoking does NOT cause cancer.

Let me say it one more time.

Smoking does NOT cause cancer - it only increases your chances. It causes rapid cell proliferation which increases the *possibility* of a cell division going wrong. It's gambling, rather than a guarantee. Everyone "knows someone" who lived to a ripe-old age who smoked a pack a day. They aren't blessed by God, nor are they genetic freaks - they are lucky.

Nicotine is more addictive than heroin.

Have you ever heard of someone selling themselves (hooking) for a pack of cigarettes? You see it all the time when it comes to heroin and crack.

I'm not really arguing here because I've heard that nicotine is in fact more addicting but that really doesnt make sense to me when people will sell themselves, rob people and kill people for their addiction but never over some money for cigarettes. Have you ever seen anyone rehabing from heroin? Compare that to cigarettes and it's like night and day.

Have you ever heard of someone selling themselves (hooking) for a pack of cigarettes? You see it all the time when it comes to heroin and crack.

I'm not really arguing here because I've heard that nicotine is in fact more addicting but that really doesnt make sense to me when people will sell themselves, rob people and kill people for their addiction but never over some money for cigarettes. Have you ever seen anyone rehabing from heroin? Compare that to cigarettes and it's like night and day.

yea ive heard that story about nicotine and heroine and i think its a bunch of bull, though i havent read any studies its just that i have seen people detoxing heroine and well yeah something that can kill you if you quit cold turkey seems a bit more addicting (at least physically) than something that doesnt.

smoking cigarettes to me has no positive benefit, though ceremonial tobbaco can make sense (didnt some tribes mix it w/ ganja?)

@pranaman - i thought ayahayusca (sic) was a mix of dmt (indole psychadellic) and a beta carboline to act as an maoi?

as for alcohol it can be very useful, and very detrimental (yin/yang, like soo many things in life). being able to depress the cns can actually be very useful in spiritual practice, the problem is the side effects and large potentiality for addiction.

We are not one.

On a conditoned level (pre-natal) the stuff that we view as "Me" are a vast number of forces, perspectives, energies, organs, needs, wants, fears, reactions, and longings and downright desparation that wants to be fed, seen, heard, acknowledged, and sometimes be allowed to be in all their destructive nature.

Several highly respected buddhist masters were alchoholic. That does not change the fact that they were realized masters. Only that they were masters with an addiction.

We are not rational beings at the core.

One of the hardest lessons I ever have had to learn was that what degree of intimacy I allowed in my interaction with others was limited to my ability to aknowledge my hidden dishonesty. After that I stopped using nicotine as a substitute for acceptance.

How about that?

h

Edited by hagar

I think cigarettes are generally cheaper and easier to obtain than heroin and crack.

With the harder illegal drugs you only have a small handful of sellers who usually charge exorbitant prices. Poor people can sometimes scrounge up enough money to buy a pack of cigarettes, maybe even find someone willing to give them one, at the expense of maybe not paying a bill or two that month. A more expensive drug addiction runs people out of house and home and usually does lead to selling their bodies.

So, yeah.

Nicotine is more addictive than heroin.

Very much depends on your personality actually. I was addicted to both for several years and I found cigarettes MUCH easier to drop then heroin. I quit smoking cigs cold turkey in one day, and it took 4 years on methadone to get off heroin and then an intense yoga program to get off methadone. Some people will hate heroin and could never get addicted to it. Some people will hate cigarettes and could never get addicted to them. It all depends on the personality involved. Some people are drawn to illegal things for various reasons. Others couldn't get farther away from illegal things for various reasons. To make banket statements like this does noone any good. Sorry to contradict you but my opinion differs from yours in this.

Love,

Carson :D

Actually it happens all the time at the homeless shelter I worked at all winter. In fact it probably happens just as much for cigs as it does for crack. At least within the homeless population.

Love,

I smoked for over 10 years.

When I first started it was a high school thing. People were smoking so I started. I really enjoyed it. Then I smoked everywhere. I hadn't smoked for over 5 years. Then started again after my first Kunlun workshop.

I didn't sleep for over a month and was going through some crazy stuff. So I figured I better light up :lol:

I smoked for a few months after that. Actually it wasn't until I moved back to Atlanta and got really sick that I stopped. I hadn't gotten sick at all living in Arizona. The weather here just does really good for me. I could smoke and eat garbage and still feel good since the weather is so great. As soon as I moved back to the East Coast that was gone. I felt so bad, vomitting for a week straight. That when I tried to light up it felt disgusting.

I have completely transmformed my life since then. I Haven't touched a cigarette for months. I work out almost every day. The idea of smoking is a real turn off now.

But we a have to go through what we have to go through I guess. As stupid as our decisions are sometimes.

man you've made a complete 360, good job! if you need any exercise tips or anything let me know.

Very much depends on your personality actually. I was addicted to both for several years and I found cigarettes MUCH easier to drop then heroin. I quit smoking cigs cold turkey in one day, and it took 4 years on methadone to get off heroin and then an intense yoga program to get off methadone. Some people will hate heroin and could never get addicted to it. Some people will hate cigarettes and could never get addicted to them. It all depends on the personality involved. Some people are drawn to illegal things for various reasons. Others couldn't get farther away from illegal things for various reasons. To make banket statements like this does noone any good. Sorry to contradict you but my opinion differs from yours in this.

Love,

Actually it happens all the time at the homeless shelter I worked at all winter. In fact it probably happens just as much for cigs as it does for crack. At least within the homeless population.

Love,

i must say, your comments ring true. to each his/her own indeed. and it is helpful that you use your personal experience to paint the picture.

chris

You really have a strong mind or great tolerance.!

It is nasty and you can still stand that nasty thing in your mouth for 6 MONTHS!!???

I am sure you will survive in any situation in life! SUPERMAN!

I just can't understand how people don't mind destroying their health and body like that, some just dont care at all, it's kinda sad...

Simple. I understand these things by watching people and the society ... and myself in past and present ... and then philosophizing and analyzing.

Why do they keep doing these things? I'm sure many of them don't know the answer themselves. Nobody wants to be addicted, it's just that sometimes in life people get lost (not to say that they can't find their way again). Here are some reasons on a more specific level:

cigarettes-- It's easy to become addicted, and marketing makes them seem awesome. Even I, after seeing so many of my favorite characters (fictional) smoke, have previously wished that I could. If only it wasn't so dangerous/addicting/expensive!

alcohol-- some people drink for fun. However, many people become disgusted, fed up, hopeless, and despairing concerning "the world" in general (or just their personal problems) that they seek refuge in obliterating their capacity to think for a couple hours.

Ok smoking first, i mean seriously! what the hell are smokers thinking!? there is no positive side to it, it smells and has nothing but negative effects, it's just nasty! :P And on top of that people are paying to be poisoned... :blink:

Now drinking, ok this one has a plus, it can be fun to go out with friends and get a bit happier and whatnot, BUT from what I see a lot of young people just wanna drink until they drop and then somehow glorify it into something it's not.

In some cases some are just clueless I think, like this girl who said shes on a diet and yet there she was drinking lots of alcohol and diet coke with its artificial sweeteners... :huh:

There's more to this than the superficial points (although those are important too). Without going too deep here to stay on topic, there are probably just as many reasons for wanting to smoke/drink as there are for not wanting to. I'll give the superficial then dig just a little deeper.

Why?

• Pressure to conform
  • Societal/parental influence (either for or against)
  • To rebel
  • To try to stand out, get attention
  • To escape
  • Slow suicide, apathy
  • For comfort
  • Out of habit

Why do the things listed above?

• Fear
  • Conditioning
  • Lack of Self understanding
  • Lack of understanding/respect for life
  • Ego