Sign in to follow this  
innerspace_cadet

I had an odd experience the other day

A couple of days ago, I was deeply somber and was ruminating over my problems. At my lowest point, I came to a strange realization: that these "problems" were illusions created by my ego. One of these problems was what people at work were thinking about me. During this realization, the worry just seemed to melt away and I began to feel joy, even bliss. It was as if a burden was being lifted. And today, I am feeling that again, a basic sense of contentment that no matter what happens, it is all right.

Some background: I am an intermittent meditator, I play the didgeridoo on a consistent basis (which is like meditating) and practically all that I read in my spare time is of a spiritual nature, ranging from Zen to Taoism and Stoicism. Perhaps all this is starting to rub off on me.

Has anyone had a similar experience?

Yes, it is equanimity. Common spiritual side effect.

And today, I am feeling that again, a basic sense of contentment that no matter what happens, it is all right.

I've had similar experiences. Many people talk about ego, but few realize what is ego. Ego is not just you. Ego is everything you've ever known. Ego is your entire known universe. The planet Earth, the solar system, the milky way, your parents, your friends, this computer, all that is your ego.

So becoming non-attached to one's ego is more tricky than it seems. Many people are willing to become non-attached to "their" bodies, or non-attached to "their" personalities, but how many can become non-attached to their brothers, sisters, parents, country, Earth, Universe, God, Gurus, matter, energy, and everything you've ever known and thought to be true?

Edited by goldisheavy

From what I saw, this is called the "heart devil" in taoism.

This is created because of the unbalance in life and the unstable/uncorrect training sometimes. From what I heard, you practise 3 different routes and try to mix them together of course it won't give you anything but wasting your time after many years. You are going no where with these because it is not trained in a proper systemactic way.

I suggest you choose one of the three, find a master for that and start learning with the REAL system instead of the DIY style. The master will lead you the way and you will find it much more meaningful and you will see huge difference between now and then.

DIY and self-teaching is really not a good way to learn especially talking about spiritual cultivations. There are just too much indepth and hidden learnings involved which you must learn from a teacher, face to face, in person. If not, you will really go no where after 20yrs of time with all the tryings....

Mak Tin Si

From what I saw, this is called the "heart devil" in taoism.

This is created because of the unbalance in life and the unstable/uncorrect training sometimes. From what I heard, you practise 3 different routes and try to mix them together of course it won't give you anything but wasting your time after many years. You are going no where with these because it is not trained in a proper systemactic way.

I suggest you choose one of the three, find a master for that and start learning with the REAL system instead of the DIY style. The master will lead you the way and you will find it much more meaningful and you will see huge difference between now and then.

DIY and self-teaching is really not a good way to learn especially talking about spiritual cultivations. There are just too much indepth and hidden learnings involved which you must learn from a teacher, face to face, in person. If not, you will really go no where after 20yrs of time with all the tryings....

Mak Tin Si

Mak Tin Si,

With all due respect, I understand what you are saying, but there aren't many masters where I live who can take me all the way (I live in Colorado Springs). There is only one Taoist center in Colorado, and that is an hour away in Denver. So for now, I have to do it myself.

If you want to go for "taoism" trainings, I can surely give you the suggestions of enrolling into the lineage of chi in nature and I can teach you all the way through with online learnings. For some samples, you can also go to the forum of www.daoismworld.com and there are quite abit of the online students who are some from the taobums too. They are doing their stage1 trainings now and got something to share too. So you can give it some thoughts if you want. Taoism trianings can go very far even learing online if you are working hard!

But if you want to go for Zen and the other way, then I cannot give you any help.

Mak Tin Si

Mak Tin Si,

With all due respect, I understand what you are saying, but there aren't many masters where I live who can take me all the way (I live in Colorado Springs). There is only one Taoist center in Colorado, and that is an hour away in Denver. So for now, I have to do it myself.

daniel ingrams site has good information on the different meditation stages.

http://interactivebuddha.com/mctb.shtml

I would agree with ForestofSouls about it being Equanimity.

In Equanimity you feel content with things you may have previously loved or hated. but now have no aversion or craving towards one or the other.

Franklin Merrell-Wolff also wrote pretty extensively on it calling it high indifference.

Most likely will change.

If you want to go for "taoism" trainings, I can surely give you the suggestions of enrolling into the lineage of chi in nature and I can teach you all the way through with online learnings. For some samples, you can also go to the forum of www.daoismworld.com and there are quite abit of the online students who are some from the taobums too. They are doing their stage1 trainings now and got something to share too. So you can give it some thoughts if you want. Taoism trianings can go very far even learing online if you are working hard!

But if you want to go for Zen and the other way, then I cannot give you any help.

Mak Tin Si

I'll think about it. Thanks.

You are welcome.

Btw, we are a temple in toronto, so if you have time and come by Toronto one day, you can always feel free to visit our temple too!

All the best!

Mak Tin Si

Sign in to follow this