frock

vertebrae

I got most of my cervical 7 vertebrae removed. How do you think this would effect me? I had a martial arts teacher a long time ago who said I would "never reach my potential" because of this. He seemed to be very skilled with chi so I take his words very seriously. Am I screwed?

I think the reason there aren't a million answers right away is because no-one here is experienced with this type of situation. The only thing I can think of is that it might depend what method you use.

Do you mind giving more details of the procedure? What was done and why?

Even if you can't reach your 'full potential', there is always bound to be a way you can progress. NW

Obviously, an artifical bodypart is not the same as a natural bodypart. But still, "full potential" is unique for each individual. Not an objective set of limitations. The full potential of someone in a wheelchair is different than the full potential of someone doing martial arts since birth. And even if we have a perfect body, our full potential is still unique for each individual and cannot really be compared to an objective definition of "full potential". We cannot compare ourselves to someone else. Only to our own previous limitations and the ones we want to break.

Did you really have cervicals removed? Why? How does that affect you mobility and strength?

Edited by sheng zhen

C7 is the large vertebrae at the top of the spine and base of the neck. Is it this bone which has been wholly or partly removed?

What kind of martial art was your teacher?

Certainly no problem for softer arts and inner working.

"C7 is the large vertebrae at the top of the spine and base of the neck. Is it this bone which has been wholly or partly removed?"

Yeah, the big one.

"Do you mind giving more details of the procedure? What was done and why?"

I had about 70 percent of c7 removed because of a benign tumor.

"What kind of martial art was your teacher?"

He was a chen tai-chi and southern shaolin teacher.

"How does that affect you mobility and strength?"

Physically/Energetically: My shoulders and the tops of my arms aren't very coordinated. It looks really weird when I try to shrug. I've increased the coordination significantly through standing and chi gung though. Been doing all of Bruce Frantzis' energy gates material for about 2 months, an hour a day.

Psychologically: I feel like it weakens my self-image somehow. It's hard to assure myself of who I am. I also have less desire to express myself. I don't talk unless it's necessary most of the time. Even then it's hard to think of what I want to say. Organizing stuff is harder too.

"Obviously, an artifical bodypart is not the same as a natural bodypart. But still, "full potential" is unique for each individual. Not an objective set of limitations. The full potential of someone in a wheelchair is different than the full potential of someone doing martial arts since birth. And even if we have a perfect body, our full potential is still unique for each individual and cannot really be compared to an objective definition of "full potential". We cannot compare ourselves to someone else. Only to our own previous limitations and the ones we want to break."

Yeah, after he said that I said something like, "Don't I just have a new potential?" and he said, "That's right" all cheerful like. But since he's a secretive/subtle type guy I think there might have been something really serious he was referring to when he said I'd never reach my potential.

Like maybe kundalini can't rise all the way or the potential of my other vertebrate are diminished. I always think about how you're only as strong as the weakest link in your chain. The vertebrae is like a chain so maybe all my vertebrae or my entire being in general can only reach 30 percent of its previous capacity. That's the kind of stuff I'm really worried about.

What do you guys think about my weak link theory?

Edited by frock

Hi Frock.

In TCM there is a close corrolation between the spinal coloumn and the governing vessel.

The governing vessel is the sea of yang vessels,governing the yang of the whole body.

The point at the upper back is Da Zhui govenor 14. It is located on the superior edge of the 1st thoracic verterbra and is the meeting of yang qi of the governing vessel.Its function is to diffuse and free the flow of all kinds of yang.

One of the point indications for Da Zhui is to help with breath and to ease mental stree.

Govenor 15 called Yamen (mute Gate) is located between the first and second cervical vertabrae its function is to promote the function of the throat and relieve mental stress. Point indications include asphasia or inability to speak.

I hope this is of some assistance to you.

Perhaps a skilled TCM practioner in your area could be of help.

I beleive you can reach your full potential :)

Edited by seadog

Its function is to diffuse and free the flow of all kinds of yang.

What would that look like?

Anyone can reach their full potential no matter what. For example, a person missing a leg can now run, due to advances in prosthetics. If you have a goal, work your hardest to reach it no matter what...think outside the box, and be determined.

Don't listen to someone who tells you you're screwed.

Edit: Also, many people with a perfect spine don't reach their full potential just due to laziness. Everyone has their obstacles. :lol:

Edited by Scotty

Anyone can reach their full potential no matter what. For example, a person missing a leg can now run, due to advances in prosthetics. If you have a goal, work your hardest to reach it no matter what...think outside the box, and be determined.

Don't listen to someone who tells you you're screwed.

Edit: Also, many people with a perfect spine don't reach their full potential just due to laziness. Everyone has their obstacles. :lol:

I think you need to face reality. I can't reach my potential no matter what and neither can you. Telling yourself you can is denial.

edit- Oh, I guess they can. I was assuming the word potential meant previous potential.

Edited by frock

Yeah I was talking full potential like...if you want to be a good martial artist, you can still do it just in a different way.

:lol:

What would that look like?

I don't know. But then again I don't understand your question?

I don't know. But then again I don't understand your question?

What does the chinese medicine lingo mean. What would it look like if that process was activated in a person.

What does the chinese medicine lingo mean. What would it look like if that process was activated in a person.

I don't know what the process would look like,but to draw an analogy if you can imagine a common garden hose,when there is a kink in the hose the water cannot flow freely,if you unkink the hose the water can then flow freely.

The correct application of acupuncture needles to the right depth can have the same effect on the qi of your body,helping to unkink or free the flow.

Oh cool, what a great explanation.

So if I got angry or felt a yang emotion how would this come into play? Help it release and flow freely so whatever part of my body is yang doesn't explode from being pent up or something like that?

Whenever I get angry it feels like I can't release any energy with my voice. When I try to shout to get a release I feel like it bursts from my pores instead. Do you think that's what it would look like?

I still get some release from shouting though and I feel the urge, so I guess I at least still have some gv14 or whatever it was.

Edited by frock

Yeah pent up anger is pure poison to our bodies.

You know I think it is a good idea to consult a professional,who has been well educated and exprienced.

Neither of which I Am. :)