el_tortugo

The Five Tibetan Rites

Well I've been trying to search for various things before posting but search ain't letting me search....

Anyway I don't think this is repetitive, pardon me if it is.

I have read about people doing the five tibetans here and I have done them myself but I have been wondering how they work internaly and how they are used in context of tibetan buddhism or bon or where ever thay are traditionaly used.

All the web sites that I can find are skimpy on such background information. I know theres a book or two on the subject and wonder if anyone has read them and are they any good? Does anyone know of this info or a good source to look?

Actually, there is no background whatsoever for the 5 Tibetans. None of the Tibetans I have spoken to know about this set and Sean said that it may be more of a Russian tradition. The Colonel's student thought that Russian wouldn't go over very well b/c of communism so Tibetan would be a superior label. Perhaps mixed with some whirling dervish inspiration. That's as much as I've figured out. If you learn more please report.

Well I've been trying to search for various things before posting but search ain't letting me search....

Anyway I don't think this is repetitive, pardon me if it is.

I have read about people doing the five tibetans here and I have done them myself but I have been wondering how they work internaly and how they are used in context of tibetan buddhism or bon or where ever thay are traditionaly used.

All the web sites that I can find are skimpy on such background information. I know theres a book or two on the subject and wonder if anyone has read them and are they any good? Does anyone know of this info or a good source to look?

7473[/snapback]

I have read the book - long time ago. You don't find more background information in it!

Ok, so it seems to be pretty well fabricated or just shrouded in mytery.... as for hopes of authenticity I suppose I could look towrds the Silk Road for the sources of what seem to be sufic influence.

There are alot of sites which are running with the Tibet story and no shortage of benefits lists and a few how it works thought the best I have found was pretty mixed east and west I thought as his elemnts were 4 western ones.

Then I wondered If the postures would fit the elements. 5 rites ... 5 elements but I couldn't see how that would work.

The exercises seem helpful and nicely packaged but I just have a hard time regularly practicing something I think is made up..... and who knows, maybe these were sent by evil aliens to take over earth.

It would be great if you could get to the bottom of it. I looked into it a bit a while ago and, like you, could find no legitimate lineage. That doesn't mean there isn't one. I just did some brief research and couldn't find any.

Whatever the lineage, the 5T rocks. All lineages get made up somewhere down the line.

In my mid 20s, I started getting gray hairs and I did the 5T for awhile regularly (maybe 2 years) and the gray hairs totally disapeared. Got those results w/o sexual restraint too.

Now at 37 they are coming back. Some people say sungazing can reverse gray hairs but that hasn't been the case for me. I keep saying that I'll get back into the 5T, but I think I really will now that I'm in the habit of doing the Warrior Wellness set. Just tack it on and then throw in some Pilates perhaps.

Just googled around to refresh my memory of them. Breathe in as you raise the body, the deeper the breaths the better, and the monks did them with their eyes closed. And don't forget to vacuum breathe for rite #6 to slurp the sexual energy. The Colonel says to do it only if you are practicing sexual restraint, but I've heard the drill taught by many w/o this caveat.

Apparently in Secrets of the Fountain of Youth book 2, they talk about the history of the 5T. Perhaps that'll clear things up.

Some of the amazon book reviews of the Secrets of the Fountain of Youth book one were fun to read.

-Yoda

Day 2 of 5T!!

WW first, 5T, and then I'll gradually fold in more Pilates drills as my tummy gets stronger. Threw in the shoulder stand for good measure. And chased everything with primordial chikung. Didn't do any cardio type stuff this am.