Sign in to follow this  
karen

Formatting help

Strange thing.. I've never had a problem using the quote code (in brackets) until the other day.. but now it's not working, and I'm left with the word "quote" in brackets instead of the nice boxes around the quote.

Any ideas as to what's going wrong? I checked my text for typos and missing slashes, but it looks like I have everything right.

Like this.

Worked right that time. Other examples contain quotes spanning multiple paragraphs.. could that be the problem?

-Karen

but now it's not working

If I get everything correct it quotes as above, that one is

quote name='karen' post='108383' date='Mar 6 2009, 04:21 AM'

if I mess up one element, or just try to write a name eg quote name='karen' I get

it's not working

If I re-edit my post it will change and the leading square bracket "quote name='karen'" will now just be "quote"

The only way I've ever been able to put in all the details is to use the '+ quote' or ' "reply' button. If I want to multi quote I '+ quote' all the posts I want. Hit reply and cut and past the text box into word and play with it. then past it back to the browser and post.

I see people are also changing text size now which is fun

If I get everything correct it quotes as above, it I mess up, or try to write eg quote name='karen' I get

The only way I've ever been able to put in all the details is to use the '+ quote' or ' "reply'

Oh if I miss one "quote /quote" pair i.e the start and finish of the quote the whole post will look weird, not just that missed "quote /quote" paragraph

Hi Mal,

Thanks.. yeah, if I have one typo, like I wrote qoute instead of quote, or am missing one backslash, nothing shows up as blockquoted, and people have to read the text with the words in them, very ugly.

The way I've been doing it to simplify things with multiple quotes is to just put quote in brackets in front of each quote and at the end of each. I sometimes shorten the first one that has quote name, to just quote.

That has worked in the past. I don't know.. maybe something to do with the fact that these current posts are long, and the quotes span several paragraphs and maybe the software doesn't like paragraphs within quotes?

I often get weird font sizes but not deliberately! :)

And pasting from Word.. ugh, I get lots of extra blank lines in between paragraphs! That at least isn't so ugly. And sometimes I'll strip the extra formatting off first.

Karen

Edited by karen

nope, just tested it, and quoting multiple paragraphs works fine.

Edited by karen

Sign in to follow this