DaoChild

Does Taoism have something similar to Tummo meditation?

Does anyone know if Taoism has something similar? A meditative method that generates tremendous heat in the body that can keep you warm even in the middle of winter?

Does anyone know if Taoism has something similar? A meditative method that generates tremendous heat in the body that can keep you warm even in the middle of winter?

According to "Seven Taoist Masters: A Folk Novel of China" as translated/related by Eva Wong, the answer seems to be "yes."

But if you ask any died in the wool Tibetan Buddhist, the answer will be "no", no matter how similar the practice may be (even if it is identical, still "no"), and that's because those people are so proud of their tradition that they cannot possibly see a similarity to anything else, ever. That's my personal experience from interacting with hundreds of them. :) In fact, this kind of question may even be slightly insulting to them. You might be implying that tummo yoga may not be unique and special.

According to "Seven Taoist Masters: A Folk Novel of China" as translated/related by Eva Wong, the answer seems to be "yes."

But if you ask any died in the wool Tibetan Buddhist, the answer will be "no", no matter how similar the practice may be (even if it is identical, still "no"), and that's because those people are so proud of their tradition that they cannot possibly see a similarity to anything else, ever. That's my personal experience from interacting with hundreds of them. :) In fact, this kind of question may even be slightly insulting to them. You might be implying that tummo yoga may not be unique and special.

Yeah, I've seen this attitude a lot before. I guess I'm going to have to swallow all my questions and go to China.. until all of them are answered.

Yeah, I've seen this attitude a lot before. I guess I'm going to have to swallow all my questions and go to China.. until all of them are answered.

I'm sure generating heat isnt too uncommon but I think tummo generates heat as a biproduct. If I'm not mistaken, tummo is going to clear out and balance your body. I find it to be special just because of the purpose and it seems fairly simple. I'm not an expert at all and my view is coming from a book I've read called The Clear Light of Bliss so dont take me for an authority on the subject. Doing tummo for the right reason seems to require some skill.

Yes i teach a Taoist method i learned from Dr. Morris & Sifu Francis Fong.

Its almost identical to the bonpo way i learned except with out mantras etc.

Its actually VERY similar to Native american method.

Peace

Santi

Doing tummo for the right reason seems to require some skill.

Actually it requires Surrender.

Yes i teach a Taoist method i learned from Dr. Morris & Sifu Francis Fong.

Its almost identical to the bonpo way i learned except with out mantras etc.

Its actually VERY similar to Native american method.

Peace

Santi

Actually it requires Surrender.

Hey Santi,

I know you teach KAP but if someone was interested in just tummo for the moment would you teach that by itself or maybe some meditation up to tummo?

What do you mean similar to the Native American method?

There exists one? I've never heard of such.. that's pretty interesting! Among what tribe?

What do you mean similar to the Native American method?

There exists one? I've never heard of such.. that's pretty interesting! Among what tribe?

The Inuit have "initiations" where you have to swim through holes in the ice and you have 7 to swim through in order to be the next in charge warrior/ priest.

You have to survive the FREEZING ice. the preparation for such tests is breath control & Visualization.

All the Native cultures that LIVE outside have a method of "Heating" themselves.