Sunya

any fasters here?

curious about anyone who fasts here for cultivation purposes

http://www.celestialhealing.net/fasting.htm - good article on fasting

i'm beginning to fast once a week, its great to see just how addicted to food I am! i'm beginning to feel hunger less and less. and want to do a 3 day fast soon, eventually move up to 7 day and over the summer do 3 weeks. i do juice fasts, though here in China good juice is hard to find for me since I'm new, i've been relying on herbal teas.

I did a fast last week, after the first 24 hours I wasn't hungry at all and felt great, very light, so I continued another 24 hours. during that time i felt no hunger and had great meditation. I was able to sit for a whole hour, when usually I am uncomfortable/tired/bored after 30 minutes. but then I got pretty sick with some sort of cold, body clearing out toxins probably.. or its the terrible weather here.

for those that fast regularly, have you noticed any spiritual benefit?

any experiences you can share?

Edited by mikaelz

I fast twice a month, on the eleventh day of the Hindu Calendar - in both halves of the lunar cycles. The level of energies are certainly greater for almost 3 or 4 days after the fast. After 16 years of fasting, it is almost impossible to go without the fast. I was however told to simply meditate on the day of fast and not do any kundalini-specific stuff like serpent breathing or something. The fast during the bright half of the month is to simply live on water. During the other one, I eat fruits for lunch and drink some milk at night...

I did face colds, constipation, diarrhea and stuff when I started but they disappeared within about 3 months.

Edited by dizzydazzle

Hi mikaelz...

curious about anyone who fasts here for cultivation purposes

I do semi regular fasts for spiritual purposes....usually once a month for the weekend....sundown Friday to sunup on Monday.

i do juice fasts, though here in China good juice is hard to find for me since I'm new, i've been relying on herbal teas.

I have done juice fasts before but what has been recommended to me and what I have found to work the best is doing a "grape" fast. Instead of drinking juice I eat grapes. I don't drink too much water either. Just eat a handful of grapes everytime you are "unbearably" hungry or thirsty. The juice from the grapes keeps you pretty well hydrated, and the hunger is usually fairly well abated by the grapes, so it makes it much easier....I find I still gain the same benefits of detox and spiritual focus from doing my fastings in this way.

I did a fast last week, after the first 24 hours I wasn't hungry at all and felt great, very light, so I continued another 24 hours. during that time i felt no hunger and had great meditation. I was able to sit for a whole hour, when usually I am uncomfortable/tired/bored after 30 minutes. but then I got pretty sick with some sort of cold, body clearing out toxins probably.. or its the terrible weather here.

Yes I would agree with this. Likely the cause.

for those that fast regularly, have you noticed any spiritual benefit?

Well, I usually combine my fasts with silence and a solo "retreat-like" atmosphere so perhaps I am not the best to ask, but YES, I find great benefit in fasting (and silent weekends). I find my body needs less sleep, my energy levels are higher naturally, my spritual focus is keen, and I am much more in-tune with my physicality....I would say the only drawback I find from doing weekends like this is that it can be a bit difficult to go directly back into regular life after. I personally find that I usually want to keep fasting and being silent on Monday morning, but I have to go back to work so it is not an option. (at least not the silent part) Hope this helps a little.

Love,

Carson :D

Edited by CarsonZi

Periodic fasting is a life-saver... keep those tubes clean kids! :P

Juice fasts are my favorite. fresh and usually a mixed lot (with veggies too) -One day just water next two days just juices. Then a day of grains, then back to normal-but pretty healthy fare...

I meditate every day.

I do periodic fasts, mainly for health purposes. I once did an apple fast for about 7 days, I only ate 3 apples a day and was never hungry. Right now I am trying to elimanate grains from my diet and let me tell you I am having one hell of a time. I am so addicted to bread it's not even funny. I do feel better physically though.

taiji phoenix

I Love Fasts, I like juice and I also like pure water.

I want to do one soon on just watermelon juice.

I like 1 day but prefer 3-5 day fasts. It doesn't matter but I prefer out of city when possible. And I like to meditate and take slow walks in nature. Oh I Love it! :)

Seth

I did a 48 hr tea/water fast last month. My results were similar to yours. The first 24 hrs I had no hunger and felt great. But after about 36 hrs, I became very lethargic and had flu-like symptoms. Possibly my body was releasing toxins stored in fat cells. As far as benefits, it is said that as the physical body weakens, the spiritual body becomes stronger.

Brgds!

Hi Mikaelz.

I don't fast regularly.

The only fast I have done was a 5 day water only fast, when I did a vision quest in the Sahara desert several months ago. It is much easier to fast when you go out with a spiritual intent in mind, have no one (or food! ) around to distract you, and have yourself really honed in on something.

It felt incredible though - I personally didn't notice any hunger after day 1, but I definitely felt weak near the end. Ironically, I may end up taking more regular fasts - because when I went to India my bowels and GI tract got all messed up (I LOVEE Spicey food :) maybe too much). And actually this 5 day fast completely reset and fixed my whole GI jumble.

As far as benefits, it is said that as the physical body weakens, the spiritual body becomes stronger.

Brgds!

I agree, that's exactly what I felt.

Edited by DaoChild

Hi Mikaelz.

I don't fast regularly.

The only fast I have done was a 5 day water only fast, when I did a vision quest in the Sahara desert several months ago. It is much easier to fast when you go out with a spiritual intent in mind, have no one (or food! ) around to distract you, and have yourself really honed in on something.

It felt incredible though - I personally didn't notice any hunger after day 1, but I definitely felt weak near the end. Ironically, I may end up taking more regular fasts - because when I went to India my bowels and GI tract got all messed up (I LOVEE Spicey food :) maybe too much). And actually this 5 day fast completely reset and fixed my whole GI jumble.

I agree, that's exactly what I felt.

Fantastic, in the Sahara Desert, wow. That must have been Amazing. What did the Desert feel like? How did you get there? was it organised through another party or did you just go and do it? I would love to hear more if your happy to share...

Thanks.

Seth

Im a faster :lol:

I do altleast 1 week 1-2 times a year. When I was studying our whole class did 1 week rice fast every month to prepare for class. We did that for about 3 years. But now I dont mind so much what I eat and drink and I only do it a couple of times a year. Mostly to prepare to a meditation retreat or things like that.

I also do 1-2 day fast every once in a while because it helps in letting things go when Ive accumulated too much waste. If I feel stuck, clogged up and clouded from energetic waste and stress, a 1 day fast usually clears that up and gets my life and meditation flowing again.

Sauna is also wonderful to do when fasting. Very challenging but also very effective.

my heart is gonna stop from these homemade fries and hydrogynated oils they put in reeses jessus

Fantastic, in the Sahara Desert, wow. That must have been Amazing. What did the Desert feel like? How did you get there? was it organised through another party or did you just go and do it? I would love to hear more if your happy to share...

Thanks.

Seth

Hi Seth

I was actually traveling with a band of nomads, the Taureg, who have been living there for thousands of years.

I deliberately went to the desert because I assumed that with so little external stimuli, I would only be able to turn inward.

Funny thing about the desert was that of anywhere I've been in the world (and I've traveled a lot..) I've never been somewhere that felt so alive. Ever. It appeared so barren outside but it felt like the boulders were watching me as I passed by on camel, it felt like the sand was always following my heels, and it feel like there was a completely awake spiritual reality to the desert. I've never felt that anywhere else in my life.

The trip actually ended up being organized through another party, especially since it's difficult to just show up and ask the nomads if you could go with them. I guess technically It *may* have been possible, since I speak pretty good French and ended up translating a lot. We ended up traveling for about 14 days into the desert, spent my 3-4 days alone in the desert, and then we rejoined and headed back out. Quite spectacular.

Hi Seth

I was actually traveling with a band of nomads, the Taureg, who have been living there for thousands of years.

I deliberately went to the desert because I assumed that with so little external stimuli, I would only be able to turn inward.

Funny thing about the desert was that of anywhere I've been in the world (and I've traveled a lot..) I've never been somewhere that felt so alive. Ever. It appeared so barren outside but it felt like the boulders were watching me as I passed by on camel, it felt like the sand was always following my heels, and it feel like there was a completely awake spiritual reality to the desert. I've never felt that anywhere else in my life.

The trip actually ended up being organized through another party, especially since it's difficult to just show up and ask the nomads if you could go with them. I guess technically It *may* have been possible, since I speak pretty good French and ended up translating a lot. We ended up traveling for about 14 days into the desert, spent my 3-4 days alone in the desert, and then we rejoined and headed back out. Quite spectacular.

Man your Street Cred just went up!! :lol:

That sounds just too good. I am putting that up near the top in my thing to do before death list. Wow!

Thanks again.

Seth

Well, mikaelz - what did Buddha recommend ? :-)

Fasting once a week is a great idea.

But the other 6 days should be also considered.

Otherwise it won't be the Middle Way :-)

Well, mikaelz - what did Buddha recommend ? :-)

Fasting once a week is a great idea.

But the other 6 days should be also considered.

Otherwise it won't be the Middle Way :-)

I don't think longterm fasting is healthy. Certainly not for everyone (aka me), that's for sure.

Ask yourself this, could your "Addiction to food" be natures way of saying "FREAKIN EAT YOU #$%^" :P

Sometimes I think people over-think all this healthy type stuff. And I'm speaking from my own experience with fasting, etc, so don't shoot me :P

All the Best,

11:33

I do a 3-day water fast once a month (ideally - i dont push myself if I am feeling overtaxed in some other area of life), and I love it. I take dandelion root tea while fasting, and I strongly recommend doing something to keep your bowels moving if anyone is going to do an extended fast: enemas or take a psyllium/clay/senna combination. a good shit on the second day changes the whole experience from lethargic and cranky to nearly ecstatic.

I dont think that I have an "addiction to food" or any other unhealthy emotional issues around food, and I dont find that the fasting brings up any special feelings, but I definitely do find that the fasting gives a good boost to my meditation practice. I dont know how to describe it any further; the specific insights are different each time, but it really seems to move things along.

I've done several 7 day juice fasts, as well as a few of shorter duration. The protocol I use is 50% celery, 25% carrot, and 25% beet, 8 ounces 4x a day. Water and/or herbal tea in between. 3 tablets each of bee pollen, garlic/cayenne mix and chlorella at "breakfast and "lunch." Stool softener at night. Enemas every other day. Last time I did one, I tried using a product called "Cell Food", six drops in a glass of water. It seemed to minimize the side effects.

In my opinion, a 1 day fast won't do you much good, unless preceeded by a longer one. It's not enough time to allow the cleansing to occur. If you do a longer fast beforehand, it's a good maintenance routine. For the same reason I also don't recommend water fasting until you've done a few juice fasts. It's powerfully detoxifying, and you almost certainly feel like crap. I've switched to water after 4 days of juice, that worked out okay.

My experience has been that the first day is fine, detox symptoms begin the second and intensify on the third. After that they begin subsiding. I've felt really calm and clear on later days of a fast. And it's amazing how much time becomes available in your day. Mikaelz consider getting a juicer, even if you have to import one. There must be all kinds of cool produce to juice in China!

Finally, breaking the fast properly is extremely vital. Don't jump right back into cooked foods. Watermelon is great, then fruit smoothies, then other solid fruits, on to vegetables, etc. Good luck, and have fun!

Im thinking of doing a 7 day fast with water only, any advice on what I should eat when I finish the fast as well i'll becoming a vegetarian when Im finish the fast?

Ape

Hi mikaelz...

I do semi regular fasts for spiritual purposes....usually once a month for the weekend....sundown Friday to sunup on Monday.

I have done juice fasts before but what has been recommended to me and what I have found to work the best is doing a "grape" fast. Instead of drinking juice I eat grapes. I don't drink too much water either. Just eat a handful of grapes everytime you are "unbearably" hungry or thirsty. The juice from the grapes keeps you pretty well hydrated, and the hunger is usually fairly well abated by the grapes, so it makes it much easier....I find I still gain the same benefits of detox and spiritual focus from doing my fastings in this way.

Yes I would agree with this. Likely the cause.

Well, I usually combine my fasts with silence and a solo "retreat-like" atmosphere so perhaps I am not the best to ask, but YES, I find great benefit in fasting (and silent weekends). I find my body needs less sleep, my energy levels are higher naturally, my spritual focus is keen, and I am much more in-tune with my physicality....I would say the only drawback I find from doing weekends like this is that it can be a bit difficult to go directly back into regular life after. I personally find that I usually want to keep fasting and being silent on Monday morning, but I have to go back to work so it is not an option. (at least not the silent part) Hope this helps a little.

Love,

Carson :D

Is there any actual scientific evidence to show that the colds associated with fasting are actually "detox" symptoms? I never experienced anything of the sort when I went without food for 4.5 days.