Sign in to follow this  
DaoChild

Favorite Prayers?

Hi all. Just wondering if you have favorite prayers you recite in the morning, or prayers/blessings you like in general.

I have several I like in the morning, but am always interested in hearing more than inspire me. I take it slowly, but often times if I recite longer prayers I can better embody stillness throughout the day.

Rabbi Cooper has a chanting kabalic version of the Shema prayer that I like. Like a good chi gung routine it plays on many levels, sacred personal meaning, long vowels that hit specific points in the body, and focus on sacred names.

Its reminscent of Rawn Clarks Yud Hai Vav Hai chant series, which is also deep and prayer like, also harkens back to kabalistic origins and hits the body in certain points.

Michael

I think one should only pray relatively few times in life. Why is that? Because first, God, spirit, source, subconscious mind, zero-point field, everyday mind, whatever you want to call it, knows exactly what your intention is. There is a direct link at all times, so there is no need to yammer to the deity about this and that. Second, if you constantly nag about retarded shit (and most shit is retarded, no doubt about it), then God stops listening. On the other hand, if you only speak a few times in life, God listens carefully.

Also, praying few times makes you really put thought into it and makes you talk about something that actually matters.

Also, if you're going to pray for something, don't ask for a candy. Go in all the way. Ask for the crown jewel. If prayer works, there is no sense wasting it on a triviality. If you go for something important, then if prayer works, it's enough to get just 1 prayer granted in your life time and you are set forever. On the other hand, if prayers do not work, you've only wasted 5 seconds. The time spent thinking about what is really important to you is never a waste.

Just think logically and watch how much pain is removed from your life.

Also, if you're going to pray for something, don't ask for a candy.

Why ask for anything? I pray in order to celebrate, mark the turning of the year, and open my heart. NW

I think one should only pray relatively few times in life. Why is that? Because first, God, spirit, source, subconscious mind, zero-point field, everyday mind, whatever you want to call it, knows exactly what your intention is. There is a direct link at all times, so there is no need to yammer to the deity about this and that. Second, if you constantly nag about retarded shit (and most shit is retarded, no doubt about it), then God stops listening. On the other hand, if you only speak a few times in life, God listens carefully.

Also, praying few times makes you really put thought into it and makes you talk about something that actually matters.

Also, if you're going to pray for something, don't ask for a candy. Go in all the way. Ask for the crown jewel. If prayer works, there is no sense wasting it on a triviality. If you go for something important, then if prayer works, it's enough to get just 1 prayer granted in your life time and you are set forever. On the other hand, if prayers do not work, you've only wasted 5 seconds. The time spent thinking about what is really important to you is never a waste.

Just think logically and watch how much pain is removed from your life.

I guess it depends what you pray for. I don't pray for 'having this taken away' or 'having that given to me'. Every morning I say a prayer of gratitude - thanks for a new day of life. I also say a prayer by Tecumseh which is more of an affirmation of how I'm going to live my life today.

I think praying to some person in the sky to be granted (or granted release from) something is pretty silly.

I suppose you all have different versions of prayer than I do - I don't pray "for" anything.

I don't have pain in my life, I don't have misfortune, I don't have problems and I don't have anxiety. I have much, much more than I already need - so most of the time I say words of thanksgiving.

Edited by DaoChild

I guess it depends what you pray for. I don't pray for 'having this taken away' or 'having that given to me'. Every morning I say a prayer of gratitude - thanks for a new day of life. I also say a prayer by Tecumseh which is more of an affirmation of how I'm going to live my life today.

I think praying to some person in the sky to be granted (or granted release from) something is pretty silly.

I suppose you all have different versions of prayer than I do - I don't pray "for" anything.

I don't have pain in my life, I don't have misfortune, I don't have problems and I don't have anxiety. I have much, much more than I already need - so most of the time I say words of thanksgiving.

Well said Daochild!Thanksgiving indeed.

I like this one-

Navajo Beautyway Prayer

As I walk, as I walk

The universe is walking with me

In beauty it walks before me

In beauty it walks behind me

In beauty it walks below me

In beauty it walks above me

Beauty is on every side

As I walk, I walk with Beauty.

Really I just like the candy, little moments- the perfect parking spot when I'm in a hurry, my kid making a winning score at sports, whatever silly little thing it can't be all bad- don't ask for those things, but I savor the sweetness, the feeling of being in harmony with the universe, realizations that life is indeed filled with sweet beauty.

There is a difference between prayer, which is a kind of supplication that starts with "please" or "may I" or "may there be" or "may..." etc., and a hymn, which is a celebratory pronouncement to the effect of how beautiful and great everything is, and how thankful you are.

Prayer is not a hymn. I mean, we have these words for a reason. Many mystics have composed hymns. In India or Tibet (borrowed from India) these may be called doha, for example.

A hymn cannot be answered. A prayer can be answered. When the person sings a hymn, it's a one way street, like a monologue. A prayer is like a dialogue where you expect to be hearing something back.

A prayer of "thanks" is really a perversion of the meaning, to my mind. A hymn of thanks is more correct in that sense, and hymns have a place alongside the prayers.

I would venture to say that those of you who think you have it all are strongly deluded. Perhaps you are thinking of the material wealth and health as the only things to ask for. I mean, I was speaking specifically about that, but I guess it went right over the head.

Navajo Beautyway Prayer

As I walk, as I walk

The universe is walking with me

In beauty it walks before me

In beauty it walks behind me

In beauty it walks below me

In beauty it walks above me

Beauty is on every side

As I walk, I walk with Beauty.

Very nice. I call this a hymn.

P.S.: Here's one of the hymns I like: http://www.keithdowman.net/mahamudra/saraha.htm

Edited by goldisheavy

I struggle with the idea of prayer, I do believe that it defines your intention and the intention is the beginning of your action. I also like the idea of celebrating what I see beauty in, sometimes it seems natural to say to myself this is beauty and it is wonderful. I dont pray to relieve my pains, I have to accept my pains and understand them at that point I can live with them. I like Zanshin prayer or hymn, it really doesnt matter to me what it is, it is just nice to recognize the beauty around us, especially during these time of strife. Take care...

I TEND TO OFFER THANKS AND GIVE HOMAGE RATHER THAN PETITION...sorry caps on... :P

I make an effort to do the best I can day thru day, asking for cosmic help seems desperate and - I do not often admit to myself that I am desperate! :D why would I announce it to the cosmos? :o

I TEND TO OFFER THANKS AND GIVE HOMAGE RATHER THAN PETITION...sorry caps on... :P

I make an effort to do the best I can day thru day, asking for cosmic help seems desperate and - I do not often admit to myself that I am desperate! :D why would I announce it to the cosmos? :o

Well If you can't tell the cosmos who can you tell :lol:

I beleive its not what you let out that kills you, its what you keep in.

Sign in to follow this