Sign in to follow this  
taiji_phoenix

Similarity between taoist immortals and jesus.

I have been studying the differnt legends about taoist immortals and have noticed a lot of similarity betwwen the immortals and the jesus story. Alot of the legends speak about special powers that immortals have such as walking on water, turning water in to wine, flying and so on. Also it appears that when most of the immortals finally trancend to heaven their bodies dissapear put they leave behind something, like clothes or shoes and what not.

I would like to know what your opinion is on the similarites.

Taiji phoenix

The similarities are real and they are not only between those two traditions. Check out the stories of Orpheus, Egyptian magicians, Druids, old testament prophets...

NW

I have been studying the differnt legends about taoist immortals and have noticed a lot of similarity betwwen the immortals and the jesus story. Alot of the legends speak about special powers that immortals have such as walking on water, turning water in to wine, flying and so on. Also it appears that when most of the immortals finally trancend to heaven their bodies dissapear put they leave behind something, like clothes or shoes and what not.

I would like to know what your opinion is on the similarites.

Taiji phoenix

Truth and "that which is real" IS truth and "that which is real" no matter what tradition it comes from. Burn through the illusions and truth shines through in any tradition.

lol ok but my list was not exhaustive.

BTW Bardon's 'Initiation into Hermetics' contains detailed instructions at the back for flying, becoming invisible and resurrecting the dead. Don't know of anyone who will admit to having achieved them but some interesting stories are told of Bardon himself. He always made it plain that every lineage the world over could lead to such things, but also stressed (as does anyone wise): 'Occult abilities are mere side effects."

Checking into the old stories always brings up valuable stuff for me, no matter whose. Everyone has their favourites and personally I really think the Tao Immortals are a very special lineage, but I'm partial to a bunch of others also. Different lineages seem to produce special effects of different kinds... for some reason, in the west, we are particularly partial to those who part waters for example. NW

I am struck by the many attributes we tend to give our fellow beings... steriotypical or extraordinary... We seldom let ourselves get the true sense of who we deal with, or admire or think about or even just dream about... :D

For me - the greatest similarities between any juxtaposed people is that we assume so much without actually taking the time to let the other folks we are interested in actually express themselves to us in any meaningful way... So much is illusion when we presuppose...

We play more tricks on ourselves than others play on us...

In my opinion, that's the point of mysticism. When you understand the essence, god, tao, etc. everyone comes to the same conclusion. That's why all these abilities of sages, Druids, shamans, immortals all appear to be the same.

I am more interested in the ways that make these figures become a saint /god/ immortal/God ...Some aspects seem deserve more of our attention :

1) Sex : Do people make use it as stepping stone in their cultivation? And , how to get rid of its negative aspect? Or, do they just view it as a moral issue, ignoring that behind the moral appearance , in fact, there is methodical / practical consideration?

2) Nothingness/ emptiness: How people treat it seems crucial . Is it treated as something ordinary , not worthy of paying attention to ? Or, like the Indians and Chinese , they make use of it as the starting point/ stepping stone? The fact that people seldom bow down to emptiness because it does not show any personal/human traits is reasonable but on the other hand stimulating and fascinating.

3) What is the role that praying ,calling the name of the gods or chanting the Sutra/ curse that plays in that system of thought /religion? People pray to God/ father/Sun..for help, yet seldom do they ask emptiness to help . However, stuffing our mind with something emotional definitely is the blockade preventing us from further climbing up....

In my opinion, that's the point of mysticism. When you understand the essence, god, tao, etc. everyone comes to the same conclusion. That's why all these abilities of sages, Druids, shamans, immortals all appear to be the same.

I like your opinion! I had never really thought about it that way but it makes sense.

taiji phoenix

Sign in to follow this