the buddha & the beast

drunken fighting style

i thought somebody who goes on this site would know more about the idea of drunken boxing. i really like this concept of fighting. the person appears to be injured or falling down or unable to go on & then...BAM! i live in louisiana & all i see around here are regular karate classes. does anybody know how i could learn more about this or similar styles of self defense?

Some pretty good stuff. The video says snake, but he teaches drunken also.

Also a classic, haha. But you could learn some good techniques by watching I think.

A fight science clip.

Scroll down to episode 4 part 2. The first 52 seconds talks about Taijiquan, but then it mentions Drunken. http://www.usadojo.com/video-library/usado...les-kickass.htm

That's all I've got! :lol:

From the little I know -it seems that Drunken styles are based in part on "fooling" ones' opponents... by affecting a weakness or faining retreat even appearing to be foolish - any number of assumed postures that offer a surprising follow-up - even further retreat! To eventually find a strong position to respond from...

I often see it as a falling- away stratagy meant to lure the opponent into being off balance in some meaningful way...

PS- Snake techniques are very useful in quick and furtive attacks-from odd angles etc... so should be an easy mix with any drunken technique...

Edited by Wayfarer64

Drunken style is made up by Jackie Chan. Whenever you see a hand formation like holding a cup and stuff its after his movies. There are some moves here and there in styles though, we have the drunken steps in Hung Kuen's Tiger & Crane form for example.

Drunken style is made up by Jackie Chan. Whenever you see a hand formation like holding a cup and stuff its after his movies. There are some moves here and there in styles though, we have the drunken steps in Hung Kuen's Tiger & Crane form for example.

yah i just really liked the concept because being not a very large or strong person, i feel that trickery would be an advantage i could attain. i know it started in his movies but some people have really picked up learning techniques for it, as we see in the clips other people added above^

You're joking right?

I thought 'Drunken Boxing' was a Shaolin skill used by Monks for a very long time.

You're joking right?

I thought 'Drunken Boxing' was a Shaolin skill used by Monks for a very long time.

So did I! I think that Jackie Chan may have been making up his own version, but Drunken has been around for a while... I'm no expert, though.

So did I! I think that Jackie Chan may have been making up his own version, but Drunken has been around for a while... I'm no expert, though.

oneof the time that i was visiting the shaolin temple i heard a story that the drunken form was invented after a few incidences of drunk monks getting beaten. the drunken form to give people pause before attacking :)

this is a nice story i suppose, i don't really believe it though hehehe

I have been in a few fights when drunk. One when I was about 25 I was stabbed thru my ear - (he was trying for my throat, but I ducked)- I broke his arm and was then kicked by his pal-(I could have said side-kick) :D

I was happy to be drunk afterwards as I had my bell rung but it helped none at all in the actual fracus! This was before I'd trained much...in later years it never would have happened at all...Now I do not drink - nor have I been in a real fight in many years... :angry::blink::D

I guess I'm just too busy hugging trees, and helping fight for tenants' rights !

Joe Confucuis say:

Losing fight bad, lose while looking like complete idiot even worse.

B)

Joe Confucuis say:

Losing fight bad, lose while looking like complete idiot even worse.

B)

Jackie Chan makes intoxicated sparring look like fun... It's some of his most amusing movie moves; I believed that the style was much older when I 1st heard of it. How old is the style?

You're joking right?

No I'm not :) Monks who are not allowed to drink do drunken kungfu? If you are referring to the 'monks' that are in any of the shaolin temples now (northern or southern) please check their history since Mao came into power. They hardly resemble what have been named monks before that time.

But feel free to believe what you want to believe, it wont affect my kungfu :)

Edited by JeroenK

BTW.... Read Shahar's book "The Shaolin Monastery". Its is a proper scientific peer reviewed historic book on the northern shaolin temple. Reading that you will see the monks were not that well known for barehand fighting at all. These days its normal you go through barehand forms first before stepping up to weapons. Back then, they started right away with sticks, which is the weapon Shaolin became known for.

There are too many myths and stories, and too many people who want to believe them ;) Real kungfu does not look like contemporary wushu.