DaoChild

How do you personally employ Wu Wei - Non-action - In Daily life?

I'm curious about this whole non-action business.

And I'm also confused about this whole non-action business.

Could you please give examples of how you (personally - I don't want hypothetical examples) employ it in daily life?

Is it: When someone verbally attacks you, letting it pass through you, and it is unable to cling to anything?

Understanding the changes in the world, and not resisting them?

Is it the same thing as non-resistance to what is happening?

Edited by DaoChild

As I recently wrote here - Its is a "go with the flow" sort of attitude for me... letting life unfold rather than trying to direct the world to adjust to my agenda...

This is not always possible - but it is usually desirable!

• Like 1

I have been doing something similar to samyama as Yogani teaches it. If I want to work on a problem or if their is a conflict. I put a name to it, focus on that name, and then I let it go into silence and then repeat. There were times in my business where through not paying attention I would get double booked in my time. I would visualize both commitments and then let that image go in favor of sitting in silence. The situation would always resolve itself where one of my appointments would get rescheduled by the other party. I do this everyday with issues that come up. It never works out as I envision but that is not the point since it always works out.

Bill

• Like 1

Could you please give examples of how you (personally - I don't want hypothetical examples) employ it in daily life?

Is it: When someone verbally attacks you, letting it pass through you, and it is unable to cling to anything?

When we cease to perform actions based upon the mind, and instead raise our energy body vibration rate so that we can employ true LISTENING, and all actions are based upon that LISTENING, then we are walking within the Tao. This is the true non-action of wu wei. Once we do that then all events will synchronize to the point that it can be mind-boggling; this is good, the mind has ruled as the I for far too many folks for far too long.

• Like 6

Once we do that then all events will synchronize to the point that it can be mind-boggling; this is good, the mind has ruled as the I for far too many folks for far too long.

I was wondering what that was! Funny, that's what first brought me to Taoism. I always explained to people that when you are in accordance with the way the world is going (Tao), you have TONS of synchronicities every day - so many that I no longer believe in coincidence.

That makes a lot of sense, thank you.

By doing good without thinking twice about it or hoping for a reward. I'm not perfect at doing this, but I'm doing better day by day.

It's impossible to employ wu wei.

Your right ... I mean with the financial crisis and the rate of unemployment and all who could afford the wages!!!

24.gif

ahem ... don't mind me ... I'll just go make a cup of tea now shall I?

:D

• Like 2

I understand wu wei as the epitome of enlightened action, the way to guide non-discursive observation and one's relationship with creation.

It's like maintaining a subtle continuity night and day to not go along with the flow.

Why do you think it's called non-action action?

This is alchemy of the highest order and the whole art of reversal in a word.

Action begets karmic conditions. Wu wei does not. Good karma is just as much a botherment as bad karma.

The way to live in wu wei is by being independent right now. If you are free now, then you will be free when you die.

Edited by deci belle

When viewing yourself as an inseparable part of the Tao, realize that your inner self is not separate from this. When you want or need something, you are lacking, therefor the Tao is lacking. Naturally thet tao balances itself. So long as your intent is clear and you are mindful of it, you are creating a void. The Tao naturally fills all voids. Be patient, be open to opportunities, and interact with the world around you. The less you put yourself our there, the longer it will take to find you because you're not creating an opening. Soon you will realize that everything you need comes to you and that no forceful action is necessary and that by acting in a forceful manner you're only pushing things away. You're life will become a string of coincidences once Wu wei is understood. There is no easy way to really explain any of this. You have to find it for yourself, but I can tell you from experience that the old masters were right.

by only doing things that need to get done for me to be comfortable. by not preaching OR trying to lead by example. by not expecting a pat on the back for doing something "good". empty-ish minded spontaneousness. i follow what makes me happy without trying to analyze it any further than "does this hurt me in the long run or hurt others at all?"

learning to be okay with things, especially the ones i can't change. and allowing the things i could change to change themselves or stay the same

i try to be as minimalistic about the whole changing the world thing as i can. But that is just me, i have problems with preaching. Probably wouldn't suit everyone

• Like 1

Action begets karmic conditions. Wu wei does not. Good karma is just as much a botherment as bad karma.

This blows my mind! I feel good inside about it, but my mind does not quite get it yet.

Say, if I wanted to stop the Belo Monte Dam project from flooding the Amazon & displacing 40,000 traditionally living indiginous people (here: http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/o/2486/p/dia/action/public/?action_KEY=11870 ), it would be a good act by my own values & judgement. How could this be done without accruing good karma?

I don't think you can do it, it either happens or it doesn't, whatever you do to try to make it happen is a contrived interference which stops you from entering we wei .

Edited by Jetsun

I'm naturally lazy and 'work' in what was called the 'public sector' so non action comes pretty easily.

You also get far more done funnily enough.

It's when people begin intervening and trying to implement super duper initiatives that things rapidly go pear shaped.

Left to itself stuff tends to pan out for the best.

Edited by GrandmasterP

That Ya Mu quote you posted above Cat. I'm reading it to imply......

"If this-then-that" .

If we do x then y must follow.

Hope that's working out for everybody.

YaMu said what it is

Contrivance , passivity, avoidance is NOT what it is. at all. not even slightly.

You cant employ it. Unpossible.

Work to achieve some relationship to it = possible.

Yes, an interaction it is, not something to be used as a tool but to DANCE with. The second we attempt to turn a dance partner into a tool we lose the experience of BEing with that dance partner.

I wrote more on Wu Wei here.

• Like 2

yes, that could be how you describe cultivation.. if you do x, then y.... how its working out for our particular everybody, is what this board is about.. ;) ..... hence all the personal practice forums etc

It's that explicit 'must' .

PP forums surely are people finding out what works for them and sharing it.

There are lots of PP threads and loads of methods.

One size doesn't fit all.

'May' follow might be more accurate.

Edited by GrandmasterP

To release and not interefere with the Dao in all it's complexity is actually somthing achieved only by enlightened beings, hehe...

but you can practice it in some microcosmic aspects.

I will explain two techniques which are very, very important for me.

listening to music: put on you headphones in a calm or classical music, and start listening to it. Then, try and stop interfereing with it and simply let it "resonate through your head", (it actually feels like it is crossin you empty head). maybe you will start noticing all the instruments in the same way with lucidity, etc... keep trying, the experiences will vary with time. After you manage with calm music, start going to more agressive musics, which are kinda more difficult not to "react" psychically. for example, music which is full of "testosterone expression", like rock and roll. Some time I feel like dancing with it, and kinda play an invisible guitar, by thats against this "non interference exercise", and you sho8uld try to realse and expand those manifestation and just let the music cross you head.

second exercice: talking to people.

in your day-to-day life, whilst talking to people in work, family, etc... try to listen to them without interfering.

when I say without interfering, I mean not only physically and verbally, but phychically also, try to "receive" all that is being said without judging it, without reacting at all!, this is more difficult than it seems and gives ALOT of benefits of wuwei, and was exposed in a book of "spiritual exercises" by Rudolf Steiner the ofunder of antroposophy. try this out, it is good because you can practice without being a recluse.

If you practice alot in those microcosmic manifestations" i.e. music and conversations, you will eventually have more chances of "letting go" to the whole complex Dao on all it's levels at the same time.

* edit *

some people wioll get pissed of with you because generally when someone speaks, the listener gives small signs that he is agreeing and comprehending, but if you stop doing this, stop reacting... well see the effects for youself hehe

Edited by Marks of Glory