Stigweard

What is Tao and what is Taoism?

If someone approached you with this sincere question how would you answer?

I would say that Tao is not an object of any kind, but is the underlying nature of everything. Taoism can refer to one of many useless ideologies, like any other isms, concocted on top of this potentially useful idea. There are many Taoist sects who have slightly different ideas about Tao, and almost none of them (!) agree with Lao Tzu or Chuang Tzu, or even Lieh Tzu. The most charitable thing I can say about Tao-ism, is that it's an attempt to become mindful of the deeper reality that underlies appearances, to learn its laws (or lack thereof!), to learn its truth, and to use that wisdom for preserving good life.

Isms are ill advised. Wisdom is a good thing.

Edited by goldisheavy

I'd say something like this,

Taoism consists of philosophy, religion, and practice. The Tao is the mysterious force that guides all things, it is what came before heaven and earth, and from it comes all of creation through the mixing of yin and yang or the male and female energies. It cannot be understood by the mind, but it can be experienced and known intuitively. Everything emerges from the Tao, and eventually everything returns to it - we are the waves and it is the ocean.

The philosophical side of Taoism is about understanding different ways in which we can live a more harmonious life, by flowing with life rather than against it. The Tao Te Ching emphasizes virtues such as humility, flexibility, softness, non competitiveness, limiting one's desires, and becoming like a child again -- which leads a person to living a content and happy life.

The practical side of Taoism includes things such as Tai Chi, Chi Kung, and Taoist Yoga. These are ways of getting in touch with the life force energy, Chi, which is present in each and every thing. Taoists believe that sickness is caused by blocked chi in the body, and that the optimal condition is to have our chi flowing through our body unobstructed, and the aim of Chi Kung is to guide and circulate this Chi through the body so the overall functioning of one's system is strengthened and enhanced. Tai Chi is considered a soft martial art applied with the internal power of Chi, which applies the laws of yin and yang in its actions. Taoist Yoga is concerned with attaining spiritual immortality/enlightenment and longevity.

I probably wouldn't go into the religious side of it, but I might mention the two common schools - Highest Clarity which was popular in the Tang dynasty who's emphasis was on personal cultivation and spiritual development, and the school of Complete Perfection which is a monastic school that synchronizes teachings of Daoist cultivation of the body, Buddhist meditation, and Confucist ethics, and practices Inner Alchemy to attain spiritual immortality.

Although that would all have to be said over a tea or coffee :). In short, Taoism is about finding harmony and balance in one's life, and cultivating the qualities that help a person attain this balance.

Edited by padge

I would answer: "Watch the Star Wars movies and get the answer yourself!"

TAO = "The Force"

Taoist = Jedi

Funny, but the Star Wars movies describe the TAO better than any book I've ever read (maybe except "Nine Nights with the Taoist Master").

TAO: is the Primal Life Force that creates and destroys all life in the universe.

Taoism: deals with the matter of making your life force eternal so your personality can exist in it forever.

It's funny, but I'd never really considered myself a Taoist in the past... as of late, I have been seeing a lot of what Taoism has to say about the nature of change, effortless effort, yin and yang, etc.

My favorite summary has been Master Waysun Liao's interpretation of the title of the Tao Te Ching. To paraphrase: Tao stands for the greater universe, the whole. Te is the microcosm, the individual universe contained within a single person. Ching is the opening and flow of energy in between them. Taoism teaches how to open the individual to the cosmos, to allow the flow of energies between the large and small universes.

My response? Not doing anything purposely to acquire happy feelings; and not hanging on to unhappy feelings.

Just noting mental states without dwelling on them and accepting the goodness in one's ordinary existence without craving arbitrary changes to one's environment.

This is close to tao and is the practice of taoism.

'what is the tao' is the ultimate question.

'tao' is the ultimate answer.

taoists seek wisdom and ignore hype,

looking to a teacher of the 'tao te ching.'

Nothing I say can even come close to describing Tao or Taoism; you will just have to find out for yourself. Perhaps I can assist you in finding out for yourself.

Nothing I say can even come close to describing Tao or Taoism; you will just have to find out for yourself. Perhaps I can assist you in finding out for yourself.

ya mu - even better - puts it where it should be. the qual/quant of above responses says this is a good

place for any newb'.

I'd say something like this,

Taoism consists of philosophy, religion, and practice. The Tao is the mysterious force that guides all things, it is what came before heaven and earth, and from it comes all of creation through the mixing of yin and yang or the male and female energies. It cannot be understood by the mind, but it can be experienced and known intuitively. Everything emerges from the Tao, and eventually everything returns to it - we are the waves and it is the ocean.

The philosophical side of Taoism is about understanding different ways in which we can live a more harmonious life, by flowing with life rather than against it. The Tao Te Ching emphasizes virtues such as humility, flexibility, softness, non competitiveness, limiting one's desires, and becoming like a child again -- which leads a person to living a content and happy life.

The practical side of Taoism includes things such as Tai Chi, Chi Kung, and Taoist Yoga. These are ways of getting in touch with the life force energy, Chi, which is present in each and every thing. Taoists believe that sickness is caused by blocked chi in the body, and that the optimal condition is to have our chi flowing through our body unobstructed, and the aim of Chi Kung is to guide and circulate this Chi through the body so the overall functioning of one's system is strengthened and enhanced. Tai Chi is considered a soft martial art applied with the internal power of Chi, which applies the laws of yin and yang in its actions. Taoist Yoga is concerned with attaining spiritual immortality/enlightenment and longevity.

I probably wouldn't go into the religious side of it, but I might mention the two common schools - Highest Clarity which was popular in the Tang dynasty who's emphasis was on personal cultivation and spiritual development, and the school of Complete Perfection which is a monastic school that synchronizes teachings of Daoist cultivation of the body, Buddhist meditation, and Confucist ethics, and practices Inner Alchemy to attain spiritual immortality.

Although that would all have to be said over a tea or coffee :). In short, Taoism is about finding harmony and balance in one's life, and cultivating the qualities that help a person attain this balance.

Great post, you hit the practical while exposing the depths. A hard thing.

Michael

TAO - 道 - meaning the way of nature

TAOISM - 道教 (Dao Jiao) The taoism religion

or

TAOISM PHILLOSOPHY - 道家 (Dao Jia) The taoism phillosophy