el_tortugo

Relaxing Your Kua

when sittin in zazen the kua could tend to get stangant, for this i like to put my hands behind myself, supporting on the ground as i tilt the kua foward, opeing the hip flow...bridges help...5 tibetans...bringing knees to chest is great way to start a yoga session, do many times

Hey,

I'm wondering what methods you have used who have relaxed your Kua.

7384[/snapback]

All variations of yoga's warrior poses will help open that area, but from an internal martial arts perspective, the best way is to keep practicing..correctly. I learned a relaxation exercise that would take some time to write down and explain, but it is very similar to the yoga three part breath. On the exhale, make sure your chi goes down to your feet and find a way to make your legs rotate *inwards* from the relaxation that starts from the shoulder well points. Don't rotate your legs on purpose..over time, this will relax and open the kwa correctly. In fact, this is the first move of taichi, without this opening, one is not really practicing taichi. So a good teacher can guide you in this. Do you practice any of the internal martial arts?

Sounds easy, but I've been practicing it for quite some time. Alot of tension is stored in the kua, especially when most of us sit all day.

thaddeus

Lots of taijiquan practice, especially concentrating on and practing repetitively the movements which involve changing the orientation of the hips by opening one gua and closing the other. It is pretty amazing how much tension is stored there. - j

I do practice some internal martial arts.... and this is what I was getting at.... I am familiar with some versions of the exercises you have mentioned.

There is some old stuborn fear stored there along with the tension and wonder if anyone has dealt with that specificaly and how and to what success.

I would love any more specific exercise descriptions focusing on this area and/or links that anyone is willing to post.... even brief ones.

All variations of yoga's warrior poses will help open that area, but from an internal martial arts perspective, the best way is to keep practicing..correctly.  I learned a relaxation exercise that would take some time to write down and explain, but it is very similar to the yoga three part breath.  On the exhale, make sure your chi goes down to your feet and find a way to make your legs rotate *inwards* from the relaxation that starts from the shoulder well points.  Don't rotate your legs on purpose..over time, this will relax and open the kwa correctly.  In fact, this is the first move of taichi, without this opening, one is not really practicing taichi.  So a good teacher can guide you in this.  Do you practice any of the internal martial arts?

Sounds easy, but I've been practicing it for quite some time.  Alot of tension is stored in the kua, especially when most of us sit all day.

thaddeus

7395[/snapback]

I would love any more specific exercise descriptions focusing on this area and/or links that anyone is willing to post.... even brief ones.

Here's a link, with a variety of specific techniques, from the usual.

Trunk--

Yours is definitely the best taoist website out there.

I like this quote:

For these reasons, it is very important to establish a healthy abdominal region early on - especially in a system that stores sexual energy and sets up an alchemical cauldron in the lower tan tien! Unfortunately, the Healing Tao's original progression of practices did not include a sufficiently comprehensive and safe set of practices to prepare the abdominal region. (The original Iron Shirt 1 packing was too aggressive [see this website's Iron Shirt section for gentler approaches], and the meditative approaches don't sufficiently address physical blockages.) Since that time the HT has come up with some additional practices that address the abdomen, but the new practices have still not taken their place in the formal sequence of practices.

I'll check out Tao Yin at some point, there's a new tao yin book by Chia just out a couple of weeks ago. Anyone have it? I'm just starting the Warrior Wellness material which is very similar to Chia's morning chikung stretches, which he says addresses the psoas, kwa, so I figure I'm getting the basics rolling.

-Yoda

Trunk--

I'll check out Tao Yin at some point, ..

I don't know anything about the new Tao Yin book. I do know that the video is really good, and a much better resource than the first book (which ain't a bad book) - if only that its much much easier to learn this stuff by watching someone actually do it while lecturing. The presentation is just easier and clearer.

I had been experimenting with the pilates "the 100" exercise for several weeks, and I took my first pilates class on Monday (at a yoga studio that is a few blocks from my house). Amazing, amazing, amazing. Its the best lower tan tien workout that I've ever had. They don't use the word "tan tien", nor "Taoism", and its sort of marketed towards western women who want to tone up - but really what it is, is poised, steady lower tan tien breathing throughout the whole class, while you're led through unusual postures-exercises-movements that work the lower tan tien from every conceivable angle. This has the effect of opening up blood circulation, and the channels, and challenging your ability to stay centered in your lower tan tien while you do an hour of unusual shit. Let me repeat this: Its the best lower tan tien workout that I've ever had. Kicked my ass, actually. :) I'm going to prepare, and go back next week. :D

And thanks for the compliment. B)

" This has the effect of opening up blood circulation, and the channels, and challenging your ability to stay centered in your lower tan tien while you do an hour of unusual shit. "

In all the years I have been reading your posts I don't remember you ever resorting to profanity to make a point. Pilates must be the fucking shit!

I just got my copy of Chia`s new Tao Yin book Energy balance through the Tao.

Unfortunately it seems to be only a new edition of the old Tao Yin book with minor

changes of the illustrations.

If you already have the old book I would not recommend getting the new one.

In all the years I have been reading your posts I don't remember you ever resorting to profanity to make a point. Pilates must be the fucking shit!

:lol: LOL, lol.

It is. I think if the Taoist community really gets a taste of what pilates is, they'll be showing up to pilates classes in droves.

Pilates just doesn't have the terminology... all of western exercise culture doesn't have the terminology, the conceptual framework, to appreciate what pilates is on to. Taoism has all this appreciation and focus on: "the tan tien", built into the Taoist system of knowledge. Those principles are so present in pilates, its unbelievable. Its what pilates is all about. And I can go just a few blocks away, pay the price of a regular yoga class, and have someone drill me through an hour of different poses-moves (which I probably don't have the discipline to put myself through :rolleyes:). Popularly available classes for Taoists!!!, I can't believe it I'm in heaven.

Its just that pilates can't market it that way.. What are they gonna say, "develope your tan tien"? The closest they get is "powerhouse" or "core", and then they go on to say how it makes your stomach flat, makes you lean and strong. And there is some moderate muscular exercise in there, but its easy to see that that's not the main thing going on in the pilates system: its tan tien development.

:lol: LOL, lol.

It is.  I think if the Taoist community really gets a taste of what pilates is, they'll be showing up to pilates classes in droves.

Pilates just doesn't have the terminology... all of western exercise culture doesn't have the terminology, the conceptual framework, to appreciate what pilates is on to.  Taoism has all this appreciation and focus on: "the tan tien", built into the Taoist system of knowledge.  Those principles are so present in pilates, its unbelievable.  Its what pilates is all about.  And I can go just a few blocks away, pay the price of a regular yoga class, and have someone drill me through an hour of different poses-moves (which I probably don't have the discipline to put myself through  :rolleyes:).  Popularly available classes for Taoists!!!, I can't believe it I'm in heaven.

Its just that pilates can't market it that way.. What are they gonna say, "develope your tan tien"?  The closest they get is "powerhouse" or "core", and then they go on to say how it makes your stomach flat, makes you lean and strong.  And there is some moderate muscular exercise in there, but its easy to see that that's not the main thing going on in the pilates system: its tan tien development.

7442[/snapback]

Right. I don't think you ever have to worry about turning the TeeVee on at 2am and seeing Daisy Fuentes and Minnie Driver raving about "Windsor Pilates" by saying " I totally opened my Tan Tien and lost the extra flab at the same time. My qi channels are so open right now I never have to worry about getting tired on the set!"

I know a Sundo master and Healing Tao Senior instructor who now loves/teaches pilates. I gone through a couple videos I have on my computer and I would agree that they do some very nice things for the tan tien....very good to do once in while.

Being a huge fan of tao yin, I was about to order that new book by Chia. irkk, is it REALLY that bad? Chia wrote the same book twice? What is different? I have a hard time beleiving its really the same as the first book...even if there is a few small points perhaps it is worth it...I shall order it now! (sorry for talking to myself)

If Pilates turns Trunk into a pottymouth, then I'm in.

I found a cool DVD...Classic Pilates Matwork

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...product-details

Looks like it's a little bit beyond the supermodel zone. Just for the sake of my pride, of course.

My new gameplan is to master pilates, then sperm retention, then start going to pilates classes and have all the girls get mesmerized by my sea of chi, make them dress in white gowns and start a sungazing cult. Quite the healing vision.

-Yoda

I never sad that Energy Balance through the Tao is a bad book. Actually it is very good.

But I have not yet found a picture, photo or illustration that is not in the old book.

As for the text, it is a little harder to judge, because I own the German edition and have not read the new book entirely, but from what I have read it is just the same.

In the book it says: Originally published in Thailand in 1999.