Long Yun

Dual Cultivation?

Hello folks,

I posted this in the Personal Practice Discussion. It hasn't seen much traffic, so I thought I'd get some opinions on here. Sound like a good alchemical path (assuming the Secret of the Golden Flower works)? Give me some constructive criticism please :D I'm always happy to learn my mistakes.

Alright, I've updated my practice again. I go into a little more detail, but of course there's still much more to this than I am presenting here.

-Every day, I will spend at least 30 minutes reading one chapter of the Tao Te Ching, and I will do this every day for the rest of my life. When I finish it, I will start over the next day (after a few go rounds, I may start reading other books like the first four books of the New Testament or some Buddhist Sutras). This will be just a primer to keep me thinking about virtue and correct action in my daily life.

-Every day, I will spend at least 15 minutes doing full body stretches to keep myself light and limber.

-Every day, I will spend at least 15 minutes doing mantras. The only two I'm really interested in are Om Mani Padme Hung and So Ham. I'm undecided on any personal deity, but regardless my own effort is what matters, so that's why I like these methods.

-Every day, I will spend at least 15 minutes doing a lower dantien breathing/ stillness meditation that I picked up from Spring Forest Qigong. I've had good results from this meditation, and I will end with a full body massage or at least a hands and face pat down.

-Every day, I will spend at least 30 minutes (much more the further I progress) progressing in my dual cultivation:

I. Building a Foundation

a. read JJ Semple's works on the Golden Flower and learn to control heart rate

b. read "Cultivating Stillness" as a good first course in my practice

c. attain Padmasana (lotus position)

d. read "Nourishing the Essense of Life" as a good second course

II. Learn Taijiquan (all I have is a book on Yang short form, so I'll probably look around for a teacher)

III. Alchemy Foundation

a. read "Holding Yin, Embracing Yang" as a first course in alchemy

b. read the Dragon Tiger Classic

c. read "The Inner Teachings of Taoism"

d. read "Taoist Yoga"

e. read "The Secret of the Golden Flower"

f. read the "Hui Ming Ching"

g. re-read JJ Semple's works along with "The Secret of the Golden Flower"

IV. Practice the Secret of the Golden Flower

Any suggestions? As far as I know, all the books I've mentioned above (with the exception of the New Testament) fit within the Quanzhen school's idea of proper cultivation, which is what I'm most interested in pursuing. I'd appreciate any pointers or constructive criticism. Thanks.

Hello folks,

I posted this in the Personal Practice Discussion. It hasn't seen much traffic, so I thought I'd get some opinions on here. Sound like a good alchemical path (assuming the Secret of the Golden Flower works)? Give me some constructive criticism please :D I'm always happy to learn my mistakes.

Sorry. I thought "Dual Cultivation" was cultivating with a partner

Anyway, your practice seems sound except that you left out cultivating te or virtue. Try to add some kind of volunteer work or charity in your life. Anything that helps mankind or nature without expecting anything in return will do.

Good luck on your path! :)

Sorry. I thought "Dual Cultivation" was cultivating with a partner

Anyway, your practice seems sound except that you left out cultivating te or virtue. Try to add some kind of volunteer work or charity in your life. Anything that helps mankind or nature without expecting anything in return will do.

Good luck on your path! :)

I thought that dual cultivation refers to body and mind. And yes, I'm hoping to develop my virtues as I go, I just don't know how to put that in print really. Thanks for your well-wishes. :lol: But I meant specifically for inner work, does it sound good? Complete?

Edited by Wu-Liu

I kept looking for where the girl came in too :)

I'm unfamiliar with some of the authors but the plan seems good.

About the 30 minutes reading one chapter of the Tao Te Ching daily. With some things less is more, I wonder if just a few minutes reading and a few more pondering is a better approach? To me its a book to be savoured rather then studied.

Michael

I thought that dual cultivation refers to body and mind. And yes, I'm hoping to develop my virtues as I go, I just don't know how to put that in print really. Thanks for your well-wishes. :lol: But I meant specifically for inner work, does it sound good? Complete?

Looks like a good beginning to your path. Things will evolve over time. Relax and enjoy your journey.

I kept looking for where the girl came in too :)

I'm unfamiliar with some of the authors but the plan seems good.

About the 30 minutes reading one chapter of the Tao Te Ching daily. With some things less is more, I wonder if just a few minutes reading and a few more pondering is a better approach? To me its a book to be savoured rather then studied.

Michael

Oh haha :lol: It seems I need to get my terminology in line. And I completely agree with spending more time contemplating than reading the Tao Te Ching. My intention was to read one chapter (not much) a day. I doubt it would take me that long to read one haha. So I'm kind of including contemplation in that time slot.

Well, so far with the general concensus of two people being good, I'm happy with it :D

Guest allan

Hello folks,

If you decide to learn the dual cultivation of Tao and Te, reading the four Confucian books and the five Classics can provide you with a good start.

The Confucian books teach the cardinal virtues in detail while the classics teach the differences between good and bad (evil) and much more, including Tao, Chinese culture and civilization. Also read up on the Book of Filial Piety.

In between, you can read the Tao Te Ching, other Daoist classics and texts to obtain a basic understanding of what Tao is all about.

If you are not exhausted or have given up your studies by then, it will take years if not decades, try reading the Buddhist sutras.

The integrated study of the three doctrines has been advocated by Chen Tuan (a friend of Lu Dongbin) and later by Wang Chung Yang, the founder of Quanzhen.

Whether or not you can obtain anything from the dual cultivation, at least you can learn something from these studies. If lucky, by cultivating virtues, you can become the right person. (Refer the Hui Ming Ching)

If not, at least you can become learned, if you continue to deepen your studies.

When you decide not to procreate anymore then you can try to cultivate the essence, through meditation, by following what is taught in the Secret of the Golden Flower or a real neidan master (human or divinity).

P.S.

Your heart rate is controlled by your own breathing; there is no need to follow any other book or method. The simple method is already stated in the text (the Wilhelm translation). Read it more carefully.

Your heart rate is controlled by your own breathing; there is no need to follow any other book or method. The simple method is already stated in the text (the Wilhelm translation). Read it more carefully.

Thanks allan! I haven't read it in over a year, and back then I had no idea what it was talking about. So not much sunk in :lol: At least I understand some of the terminology a little better now. I appreciate referring me to those sources as well. I'm feeling better about this practice every day, and I'm looking forward to doing more.