Sign in to follow this  
goldisheavy

how to keep it real

It's something that's been on my mind lately. I see people doing this. First the person has a real problem. The person looks for a solution. As a solution an entire way of life is being sold to them wholesale. The person buys into that way of life and forgets about the problem. The original problem, although forgotten, is not gone. And now on top of the original problem, a new problem of being sucked into an inflexible and seemingly mandatory life style is created.

I find this predicament to be terrible, and I pray for everyone who is caught in this kind of predicament.

People have real problems that they want to solve. Instead they get caught in some path and devote so much energy to the maintenance of the path that they forget why they even entered the path to begin with. The path takes a life of its own and the person is lost.

To prevent this from happening, I suggest a reality check. Always go back to your problem. What is your problem? Is it pain? Is it fear? Is it an experience of limitations? If you enter onto a path of any kind, then every so often do a reality check: are my problems being solved or improving? Am I becoming free from pain? Free from fear? Are limitations ceding their hold? And be completely honest with yourself about these things. Since you don't have to share this kind of inner reflection with anyone, you must be honest, because if you lie to yourself, not only is there no good excuse for doing so, but you cheat nobody but yourself. If you do not experience a substantial improvement in 1 year, it's time to get off the path. This doesn't mean you give up your quest in the larger scheme of things, but you do have to recognize when certain things fail to give honest results.

I so often see the person discuss some energy manipulation or this or that sundry technique, and I wonder, what are they trying to solve or improve? Sometimes it seems that the person is just doing some energy manipulation for its own sake. The problem is not even stated. So it's kind of like when someone says, "Gee, how do I change a tire?" But what's your problem? If you need to lift the toilet seat to take a dump, knowing how to change a tire is irrelevant to your problem, right? What are you trying to do? And I don't want to focus this on any particular technique. All techniques can sucker the person into them: praying, meditation, yoga asanas, zikr, dancing, or whatever fancy shmancy technique you got.

This process of asking yourself fundamental questions like this is the process of contemplation. It can really save you a lot of unnecessary headache, unnecessary effort, unnecessary humiliation, unnecessary discipline and what have you.

Don't get caught up in the techniques for techniques' sake. And I don't want to put the breaks on anything either! If you really had no problems at all and wanted to do something just because it's artistic or fun, more power to you. If your problems are being solved and you are not increasing your burdens in exchange for the solution, and in fact, if you are doing better than breaking even, again, more power to you. It would be a shame if you healed your leg and your arm fell off as a result. But if you had a problem you were trying to solve, then don't get lost in that which fails to yield results within a reasonable time frame. I trust in your own innate wisdom to know what is a reasonable time frame for you.

P.S.: If anyone wonders about the broom, it is simple. Use the broom if your house floor needs sweeping, but don't fall in love with it. Don't have sex with your broom just because it does a good job at one task. Don't marry it. It's just a tool with limited use. Brooms are of no use in the forest.

Edited by goldisheavy

People have real problems that they want to solve. Instead they get caught in some path and devote so much energy to the maintenance of the path that they forget why they even entered the path to begin with. The path takes a life on of its and the person is lost.

This process of asking yourself fundamental questions like this is the process of contemplation. It can really save you a lot of unnecessary headache, unnecessary effort, unnecessary humiliation, unnecessary discipline and what have you.

I used to jump into things and then stayed too long even when I knew it wasn't benefiting me. That's one of the reasons why I started practicing meditation, I hoped it would help me make better decisions. I've learned to contemplate things too and ask myself questions all the time by writing them out in a journal. Questions like "what do you want?" and "why am I doing this?" and it helps to keep things real and keep me present. So what you've written is good advice goldisheavy. I enjoy your posts and thank you for sharing. Joe.

If your problems are being solved and you are not increasing your burdens in exchange for the solution, and in fact, if you are doing better than breaking even, again, more power to you.

That would be me. :)

NW

It can really save you a lot of unnecessary headache, unnecessary effort, unnecessary humiliation, unnecessary discipline and what have you.

There's a scene from the movie Evan Almighty where Evan's wife has left him because he's building an ark because God told him to. On the drive over to her mother's house she and the kids stop at a diner for lunch. She calls a waiter ( God ) over to the table because she wants to order and then God asks her what's wrong because she seems so sad, so she tells him about her crazy husband. She just wants her family to be a happy and love each other. God tells her as an example; if you prayed for more patience do you think things would be simple or would you find yourself in situations where you learned more patience? I don't think anything we do or feel or go through is unnecessary. Maybe I say that because I don't want to think of anything in my past as being a mistake.I learned something from it and what I learned continues to make "now" better for me. Joe.

I feel a deep compassion for those seeking answers from outside themselves, but perhaps these are lessons that some need to learn the hard way, or in another lifetime perhaps but what do I know? The path is so brightly lit yet so many are looking outward for answers. Like being lost inside your own home.

Very good points goldisheavy.

I also enjoy your posts.

Without awareness/mindfulness, we're doomed to act out of conditioning alone.

Excellent post my friend!!! :D

You are totally right, so often can we engage in a technique to give us that gratifying sense that, "Hey I am doing something" without being fully aware of whether the technique is 'doing something' constructive. There is a big difference between activity and results.

Cheers Gold ;)

The internet, New Agery and Esoterica can be dangerous. You know, meditate on love and light and don't pay too much attention to your emotions because they are illusory anyway. I think what people often fail to understand is that their emotions, thoughts, imagination, etc is the gateway to the REAL. Embrace your humanity, including your weaknesses, and don't be so desperate or accepting of other people's dogma.

Great post, I am with you all the way.

I'd like to defend brooms. Even in the forrest they can prove very useful. Modified they can become tools for fishing and hunting. Even unmodified they can be used for whacking other things, starting fires and uh cleaning things up.

Maybe all techniques are ultimately dumb, but a man has to do something with his time. May as well do something they could build on.

What looks like aimless wandering might really be getting a good look at the lay of the land. Before you set out on a firm path why not wander through a few valleys and peaks?

If Real is sacred. Here's what I was taught: Sacred is what you make sacred.

Has the Chinese Taoist Hermit achieved more then the Bronx Baseball nut? In terms of overall knowledge and accomplishment? By what measures? Both would be incomprehensible to the other and to a third party both would be a waste of time.

So my point is..real and unreal are real fuzzy. We have to be careful making judgements about the reality others choose to live in.

Michael

later edit

My late night posts are a bit less coherent. Goldisheavy has some good points.

yea i really appreciated this when he posted it, though i didnt have much to add :) Thought it may be good fodder for the newer wave of posters.

Edit: Double post; and i see that Mat Black is in here, hopefully he has something to share :)

Edited by contrivedname!

Yes, that was an excellent post from Goldisheavy.

Thanks for bumping it up because I hadn't seen it.

Happy Trails!

Edited by Marblehead

Actually,

There is no original problem.

Problems give rise to more problems. What is the original problem?

So when you look for solutions, you should try to find a solution that solves all problems. :D .

Yes,

You can transcend the body my not considering it as distress or favor. :P .

Okay. I am going to do something I don't often do.

I have to give the Buddhist credit on this one. They have a good handle on this concept. And yes, it works.

It's just that I love my body too much to be a good Buddhist. Hehehe.

But indeed, that is basically what Lao Tzu said in the above quote. Transcend the body and you won't have any worries.

However, I need my body to carry my brain around, to have the receptors so that I can have the physical experiences. So I will recognize that I have a body and I will do my best to take good care of it. And then I will try my best to understand that the external is not the greatest of importance but rather how I feel about myself is of the greatest importance.

If I feel good about myself I can find inner peace & contentment. What more could one ask for? Well, except for another life so I can do this dance all over again.

Happy Trails!

If your identity is the body and mind, distress is possible. The process of losing that identity can be a real smack in the face... many many times and over again. But once you have no identity, you are at peace. From there you can continue to take care of this body. My observations from some temporary insights.

Okay. I am going to do something I don't often do.

I have to give the Buddhist credit on this one. They have a good handle on this concept. And yes, it works.

It's just that I love my body too much to be a good Buddhist. Hehehe.

But indeed, that is basically what Lao Tzu said in the above quote. Transcend the body and you won't have any worries.

However, I need my body to carry my brain around, to have the receptors so that I can have the physical experiences. So I will recognize that I have a body and I will do my best to take good care of it. And then I will try my best to understand that the external is not the greatest of importance but rather how I feel about myself is of the greatest importance.

If I feel good about myself I can find inner peace & contentment. What more could one ask for? Well, except for another life so I can do this dance all over again.

Happy Trails!

The body takes care of itself better than you ever could.

Lol, you sure you want to do this dance again? Maybe you won't be so lucky next time around. :lol: .

The body takes care of itself better than you ever could.

I agree with this. We just have to learn to listen to it and understand what it is saying.

Lol, you sure you want to do this dance again? Maybe you won't be so lucky next time around. :lol: .

This is my first opportunity to mention this here in this forum: I am not superstitious either; luck has nothing to do with it - we create our own life according to the capabilities and capacities allowed us by nature.

Happy Trails!

If your identity is the body and mind, distress is possible. The process of losing that identity can be a real smack in the face... many many times and over again. But once you have no identity, you are at peace. From there you can continue to take care of this body. My observations from some temporary insights.

Hi Old Man,

I saw this post last night but my brain had stopped working so I couldn't respond to it.

I understand what you are saying and agree. However, I am a physical person so it would be extremely difficult for me to attain what you are suggesting. And that is one of the main reasons I did not stop with Buddhism many years ago in my search for a path.

All I can say is "Good for those who can do this."

Happy Trails!

Sign in to follow this