Sunya

chinese medicine (tea and acupuncture)

so im in China, Nanjing to be exact.

have you dudes (or dudettes) ever tried acupuncture or chinese herbal teas for energy/Qi/cultivation/health etc etc, worth pursuing? there is a traditional chinese medicine hospital down the road where I can get acupuncture done.. and tea shops everywhere with chinese teas (with strange names, i usually just get ginseng oolong)

could i get some advice please for those who know

have you dudes (or dudettes) ever tried acupuncture or chinese herbal teas for energy/Qi/cultivation/health etc etc, worth pursuing? there is a traditional chinese medicine hospital down the road where I can get acupuncture done.. and tea shops everywhere with chinese teas (with strange names, i usually just get ginseng oolong)

Better drink little ginseng oolong because it is now popular and the quality is poor.

It contains NO ginseng, mostly liquorice and the fragrance is now obtained adding artificial flavourings

YM

My favorite things in China were always Tui Na and medical qigong. To me, far more enjoyable than the acupuncture. There should be practitioners everywhere (more Tui Na than Medical Qigong) and should be at the hospital you mentioned.

Hey Mikaelz if you find enlightenment can you tell her i said hi ? ;)

I suggest try all the thea with funny names and tell us wich one tastes best :)

Enjoy it over there, i havent been in China yet and it must be a great experience, you can even say im a bit jealous yeh, hehe.

Kind regards, Mike

When you see your acupuncturist, they will usually do an evaluation and give you some guidance regarding which teas are best for you as well as dietary recommendations. That should be a part of their routine.

I'm jealous!

Sigh, I miss China.... Hope you are having fun there.

China is fun, interesting. Nanjing is a very nice city, not congested at all and very clean. the food is excellent here and so is the vibe, the atmosphere. though its been rainy and cold as hell for the past couple weeks, i hear March is the best time when the flowers bloom. i'm looking forward to that. as soon as it gets warmer I will take up tai chi lessons in the park :)

i think I will go to the hospital soon and just say I am low on energy and let the doctor evaluate me. do TCM doctors know about cultivation? should I say i want to supplement my qi gong practice?

hmm... I wouldn't say anything about qigong practice.. What I found is people will either laugh at you or discount the practice of qigong. If you want to say something say "Neigong" practice. This has a different meaning and feeling in China. However, if you can find a Chinese Medical doctor who also practices qigong (which is very difficult to find) you might be able to learn something.

I receive herbs in China from a couple of different hospitals. I found it inconvienient to go to the hospitals. It is much easier to see a Chinese herbal doctor in the states than China. IMO.

Oh, I would also say, many, if not most Chinese value Western Medicine over Chinese these days. So, be prepared for a bunch of western tests....

Edited by Baguakid

Taiji quan is one of the main three Nei Jia gongs... Taiji, Bagua, and Xingyi... (there are others)..

Nei means internal. If you say Qigong in China, most will shy away from you. It has a different meaning that what we think of it as. Before, when FaLun Gong was crushed by the government, there were also others that were suppressed. Qigong in China, for the common man I have found, has a mystical, non-logical connotation where people have been cheated badly in the past. It took me the hard way to figure this out.

Are you teaching English in China? Visiting? What are you doing there?

so im in China, Nanjing to be exact.

The Chinese Medicinal Teas are not like teas we get in a store. They are raw herbs in which you would

have to boil for an hour, in a specific manner, and then drink. Bitter, but wonderful for the body. It may not be a usual thing for most TCM Doctors. Unless they specialize in herbs, they wouldn't write you a prescription.

The teas to look for in stores would be: Long Jing Cha (Dragon Well Tea), Gao Shan Cha (High Mountain Tea), Pu Er (Da Hong Pao), Tie Guan Yin, Mo Li Hua Cha (Jasmine Tea), Jv hua Cha (Chrysanthemum Tea), Ri Zhao Cha (That tea is named after a city in Shandong)-its a great tea!

Stay away from bars, and local clubs; stay away from drinking outside with other foreigners, and being seen with different women. Its a bad reputation, and fits into the views of what foreigners come to China for.

Peace and Blessings,

Lin

Edited by 林愛偉

The Chinese Medicinal Teas are not like teas we get in a store. They are raw herbs in which you would

have to boil for an hour, in a specific manner, and then drink. Bitter, but wonderful for the body. It may not be a usual thing for most TCM Doctors. Unless they specialize in herbs, they wouldn't write you a prescription.

The teas to look for in stores would be: Long Jing Cha (Dragon Well Tea), Gao Shan Cha (High Mountain Tea), Pu Er (Da Hong Pao), Tie Guan Yin, Mo Li Hua Cha (Jasmine Tea), Jv hua Cha (Chrysanthemum Tea), Ri Zhao Cha (That tea is named after a city in Shandong)-its a great tea!

Stay away from bars, and local clubs; stay away from drinking outside with other foreigners, and being seen with different women. Its a bad reputation, and fits into the views of what foreigners come to China for.

Peace and Blessings,

Lin

thank you Lin

what are your thoughts on acupuncture?

thank you Lin

what are your thoughts on acupuncture?

There are all levels of Acupuncture out in China: TCM Doctors using thick needles, using the astrological methods for needling, utilizing Qi Gong as a needle, and with needles...anesthetic methods as well. Move around through the TCM crowds by being regular at hospitals, if you can speak Mandarin. You will./may meet many interesting people. Acupuncture is great!

Peace,

Lin

There are all levels of Acupuncture out in China: TCM Doctors using thick needles, using the astrological methods for needling, utilizing Qi Gong as a needle, and with needles...anesthetic methods as well. Move around through the TCM crowds by being regular at hospitals, if you can speak Mandarin. You will./may meet many interesting people. Acupuncture is great!

Peace,

Lin

Acupuncture is Great :)

So is Tui na(massage)

One thing to mention if you go the acupuncture rout ?

Just a reminder ...

Use you brain and make sure things are Sanitary !!!

If the needles are not new personally wouldn't do it.

If it was stuck in someone ahead of you, you don't want it. :P

Even if the needles are put into an autoclave ... it kills most stuff they say?

But not always what one might may want it to?

Some may disagree and not think it's all that bad

but you are responsible for your own health.

So just take care of yourself, ok?

And have a great time!

... and this goes for anybody, kids.

If you got a neighbor and he's recycling needles out back in his garage,

DON'T Go and get Acupuncture from him!!! Even if you think he is a Kung Fu God!!! :rolleyes:

I Don't care were in the world you are! Take care of your self.

Oh and mikaelz?

Hope you take lots of pictures!

Stay well, Stay safe!

Shon

Peace and Blessings,

Lin

Peace,

Lin

Thanks for sharing knowledge Lin... very nice of you...

General Question...

I was also under the impression that thick needles not so widely used anymore... (eh but what do i know). I believe those go in the 8 extra ordinary vessels instead of the 12 is that correct?

I guess I got some studying to do with acupuncture.

Anyone have any good recommendations off the top of your head... maybe i'll also search some of the old threads.

Peace,

wT

Acupuncture is Great :)

So is Tui na(massage)

One thing to mention if you go the acupuncture rout ?

Just a reminder ...

Use you brain and make sure things are Sanitary !!!

If the needles are not new personally wouldn't do it.

If it was stuck in someone ahead of you, you don't want it. :P

Even if the needles are put into an autoclave ... it kills most stuff they say?

But not always what one might may want it to?

Some may disagree and not think it's all that bad

but you are responsible for your own health.

So just take care of yourself, ok?

And have a great time!

... and this goes for anybody, kids.

If you got a neighbor and he's recycling needles out back in his garage,

DON'T Go and get Acupuncture from him!!! Even if you think he is a Kung Fu God!!! :rolleyes:

I Don't care were in the world you are! Take care of your self.

Oh and mikaelz?

Hope you take lots of pictures!

Stay well, Stay safe!

Shon

:) Tui Na is more Physio-Therapy. Massage pales to Tui Na application.

The clean needles thing..yes make sure they are disposable, because the western blood isn't used to

"natural" conditions full of bacteria and disease as the Chinese. Reason, people there aren't afraid of dirt!

People in the west scream over a little dirt. I'm all up for the dirt every where lifestyle, living in the woods, country side and all around you is simply earth. Really good for the immune system, unlike the vaccinations.

Anywho...I used to treat in all kinds of places. Doctors/hospital TCM office, sidewalks, on the mountain, country side, on the floor...people aren't too picky on where they ned to get help, just as long as they get it.

Peace...lol

Lin

General Question...

I was also under the impression that thick needles not so widely used anymore... (eh but what do i know). I believe those go in the 8 extra ordinary vessels instead of the 12 is that correct?

Anyone have any good recommendations off the top of your head... maybe i'll also search some of the old threads.

Peace,

wT

Those thick needles can go anywhere, just as long as the person getting them can take the pain! haha

General Question...

Peace,

wT

The acupuncture doctor I studied with did NOT use disposable needles but he did sterilize them. Western folks that are used to acupuncture would freak out at the size of needles he used. I once had an allergy reaction going down and asked him to treat me. He stuck a needle into the side of my nose that was about 4 ft long (not really but it felt that way), stuck it in and happily went "tee ta" (Lin, what was he actually saying? Couldn't quite make out the translation) as he moved the needle up and down, all the while I was screaming (not really but I wanted to). The thing is, my sinus open up and my reaction went away for a good 4 or 5 days but I was never brave enough to ask for a repeat treatment.

Re: Tui Na

Just wonderful, wonderful IF you find a skilled practitioner. Most of the hospitals had a Tui Na department.

He stuck a needle into the side of my nose that was about 4 ft long (not really but it felt that way), stuck it in and happily went "tee ta" (Lin, what was he actually saying? Couldn't quite make out the translation)

Re: Tui Na

Just wonderful, wonderful IF you find a skilled practitioner. Most of the hospitals had a Tui Na department.

HAHAHA He was more like enjoying himself and what he was doing...hahaha

HAHAHA He was more like enjoying himself and what he was doing...hahaha

LAUGH. Yes, I do believe you are correct. I really got no respect in his clinic at first. He was famous in his area and was a friend of my teacher Master Wang. I am not into needle style so much and I really was only there for my wife to get a flavor of Chinese acupuncture from the real deal, and to get more clinical experience. The doctors in his clinic turned their noses up at me and the reason was that they didn't think a western guy could be a "real" qigong doctor. They actually found it hard to believe that Master Wang had taken me, a westerner, in to train for teaching medical qigong (this was after I was certified in medical qigong through the hospital that Master Wang ran). This attitude changed drastically as I worked on the patients. But I truly had to earn their respect, it was not freely given.

LAUGH. Yes, I do believe you are correct. I really got no respect in his clinic at first. He was famous in his area and was a friend of my teacher Master Wang. I am not into needle style so much and I really was only there for my wife to get a flavor of Chinese acupuncture from the real deal, and to get more clinical experience. The doctors in his clinic turned their noses up at me and the reason was that they didn't think a western guy could be a "real" qigong doctor. They actually found it hard to believe that Master Wang had taken me, a westerner, in to train for teaching medical qigong (this was after I was certified in medical qigong through the hospital that Master Wang ran). This attitude changed drastically as I worked on the patients. But I truly had to earn their respect, it was not freely given.

Ya Mu, I was under the impression that it hurts the practitioner/doctor if they use their qi to help heal patients. Could you comment on this and how it's different with Master Wang?

Ya Mu, I was under the impression that it hurts the practitioner/doctor if they use their qi to help heal patients. Could you comment on this and how it's different with Master Wang?

You are correct, it can be very dangerous. But if the science and art of medical qigong is applied it is a truly awesome healing method. I use it every day in my clinic and teach others how to do medical qigong at my school.

I'll try not to sidetrack this thread too much, here are some thread links where I talk about this: Would be glad to answer any questions you have.

http://www.thetaobums.com/Stillness-Moveme...2223-t8704.html

http://www.thetaobums.com/index.php?showto...taoist+medicine

It can be dangerous if the person administering the treatment doesn't cultivate, thus resulting in a long life short lived.

Peace,

Lin

It can be dangerous if the person administering the treatment doesn't cultivate, thus resulting in a long life short lived.

Peace,

Lin

Absolutely.

It has always amazed me of the number of "energy healers" who do not understand this.

Absolutely.

It has always amazed me of the number of "energy healers" who do not understand this.

So, how do we make sure we are using cosmic energy and not our own reserves? Or is that basically inevitable, so we simply must cultivate regularly to replenish it?

I guess my real question here is if we are qi batteries or conduits - and if qigong therefore is to recharge our batteries or to clear our conduits so we can draw more power from the universe? Or perhaps some combination of both?

Like, what do you think about the textbook 100 days of cultivation to build up a foundation theory? Is this to build up a critical mass of energy to pass some tipping point? And does this imply the battery theory, at least until we can perhaps activate our conduit function better?

And just got your book, btw. :D Randomly skimmed the part about how that evil spirit had tricked you... :huh:

Edited by vortex

:) Tui Na is more Physio-Therapy. Massage pales to Tui Na application.

The clean needles thing..yes make sure they are disposable, because the western blood isn't used to

"natural" conditions full of bacteria and disease as the Chinese. Reason, people there aren't afraid of dirt!

People in the west scream over a little dirt. I'm all up for the dirt every where lifestyle, living in the woods, country side and all around you is simply earth. Really good for the immune system, unlike the vaccinations.

Anywho...I used to treat in all kinds of places. Doctors/hospital TCM office, sidewalks, on the mountain, country side, on the floor...people aren't too picky on where they ned to get help, just as long as they get it.

Peace...lol

Lin

Those thick needles can go anywhere, just as long as the person getting them can take the pain! haha

It Does! Like Tui Na, can't handle most massage stuff though, most massage ='s

not a happy thing for me, but hard to explain the differences.

Really like gua sha too! Hard to find someone around me to do that :(

uh ... but is there another word for that too?

Is it Gua Sha that also is ... um ... kinda like soliciting for something else?

Know i had gotten in trouble for it but was never quite sure why, lol,

was actually trying to find the flat "horn/stone" tool.

Know some who have come back sick from dirty needles.

Might just be as you say! I like dirt myself but it is a different soil.

Easy for our minds to say "I'm tough, my body can handle it."

and then have our bodies have other opinions!

Agree! Place it's received doesn't matter, a garage could be great!

Have had it on a parking lot, was nice in the sun!

Lol, the best(most interesting) acupuncture treatment I had received was from a boy who had just graduated.

When I met him he had his supplies in a fishing tackle box. Took me back to tiny his one room apartment,

with dear heads and fishing poles, bows and martial arts weapons hanging on his wall.

As one who is pretty cautiously untrusting of people this was a real trip for me!

Oddly the martial arts stuff was an added comfort ?!?

I was desperate and he appeared??? If he had rusty nails at that point it wouldn't have mattered!

I was in a bad way... wouldn't be here today if i didn't run into him.(true.)

He was going to actually treat me there where i met him that day,

on the side of a very busy road, lol, and I wouldn't have thought twice!

If it's needed the place is the LAST thing to worry about!

I did notice first though that he had the disposable needles :D

He's still a great friend by the way, and has used those Freakishly nasty

big thick needles on me ... nice and deep... Ugh, good friend?

They can ... um? ... pinch? :blink:

... but the effects have been pretty darn good!!!

If you are interested in acupuncture

It's always nice to try different styles

and different practitioners within styles for that matter.

Not all at once, mind you!

But if you are going to be in China for a while ...

Could be So nice!

and if it's needed?

Moxa on stomach 36 is the bomb! Best thing in this world to me !

(if it's done directly can leave scars though )

Have fun!