Sign in to follow this  
DaoChild

If you could do it over again -- money vs. happiness

Interested to hear what others think. I have a likely idea of some of the responses I will receive, given that this is forum religiously and spiritually oriented, but here it goes.

If you could do it all over again - would you choose some balance between money and happiness? Do 100% what you love but earn 40% of the income? Do something you barely like but earn 200% the income?

I ask because I'm at the stage in my life where I have a choice. I'm about to graduate undergrad with a BS in a science degree and can go into anything really, thinking mainly of : M.D., Doctor of Oriental Medicine, PA School, Nutrition, etc.

It seems like a silly question, but In my honest opinion I don't know if I can become an OMD (Doctor of Oriental Medicine) while still be able to support a family. I'm only 21 but definitely am looking forward to be a family man. I don't think as an MD I would have time to workout , do martial arts, and spend time with my family every single day. Not sure if those are things I want to sacrifice.

The income ranges far : I've heard Doctors of Oriental Medicine barely can make it through, because there isn't a huge demand and you have to have GREAT marketing skills to put yourself out there. I hear $30,000 a year is common. Obviously at the other end of the spectrum is an MD, where off the bat as a general practitioner, the average income is $150,000 off the bat. A PA makes something in between, starting at roughly $80,000.

Money talk sucks

What do you think? What did you choose? What would you choose?

Thank you

Edited by DaoChild

Interested to hear what others think. I have a likely idea of some of the responses I will receive, given that this is forum religiously and spiritually oriented, but here it goes.

If you could do it all over again - would you choose some balance between money and happiness? Do 100% what you love but earn 40% of the income? Do something you barely like but earn 200% the income?

I ask because I'm at the stage in my life where I have a choice. I'm about to graduate undergrad with a BS in a science degree and can go into anything really, thinking mainly of : M.D., Doctor of Oriental Medicine, PA School, Nutrition, etc.

It seems like a silly question, but In my honest opinion I don't know if I can become an OMD (Doctor of Oriental Medicine) while still be able to support a family. I'm only 21 but definitely am looking forward to be a family man. I don't think as an MD I would have time to workout , do martial arts, and spend time with my family every single day. Not sure if those are things I want to sacrifice.

What do you think? What did you choose? What would you choose?

Thank you

Choose to do what you love.

Go PA. I am thinking of doing it as well.

You'll have more freedom, and good money. Study oriental stuff on the side, and be one of the good guys who doesn't simply push pills, and who educates patients in alternative healing.

If you see an inherent conflict between money and happiness, then that's your first problem...(mine too, lol).

Doing what you love but struggling financially to survive sucks all the fun out of it. If you can live without worry then doing what you love is great. But making $30,000 when your kids need braces and you dont have insurance...... :(

Keep in mind that your interests will change several times over lifespan. That you think you are passionate about now will not seem the same given some time.

However money talk sucks, financial stability is important.

For me, I chose money at around the age of 23. Around 28, I regretted it and went through an identity crisis and

a minor depression. Around 32, after some soul-searching and maturity, I was content with my decision but

nonetheless still harbored a desire for more freedom, which I still do to this day.

I think either path has its ups and downs and whatever choice we end up making, somewhere along the way we'll

realize what's best for us and act accordingly. If anything, knowing the Tao will surely ground you in whatever

choice you make. :)

Go for regular medical degree and after you get it, you will be able to get other degrees in half the time. At the end, you will be able to make big $ and do what you love.

A versatile degree that provides financial stability can be invaluable. I had the same decision years ago--- but for me it was between law, psychology, and some unknown option. I chose law. I don't make a lot of money, but it gives me the flexibility in finding a job where I can have enough time for myself and my family and not have to worry about money.

Of course, if I could go back in time now, I think I would of liked to try becoming a monk for a while, or at least some long meditation retreats. Post-college is a unique time of personal freedom.

Sign in to follow this